Notices

Oh my, the just one drink dream

Old 07-11-2015, 06:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Oh my, the just one drink dream

I'm sitting here having my coffee and suddenly recall my extremely vivid drinking dream. I had one beer in the dream. I could taste it, feel it, and I slipped into my old thinking. I didn't care that it meant the end of my volunteer work. I didn't care that it signified the end of my college career. I selfishly drank it and nothing mattered. A nice reminder of where my brain was last year at this time. Thank god it was only a dream.

Jennifer
Old 07-11-2015, 06:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Maybe a reminder of the one drink slippery slope. Sure I could behave and drink just one when out with family. But watch out, could totally lose it when back home and alone and nobody is watching. Hopefully I have learned that lesson. There is no one drink for me. The slope is far too slippery.
Old 07-11-2015, 06:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Magsie

When I wake up from a drinking dream, I'm so pleased it was just that, even tho it seemed so real! My husband has smoking dreams occasionally and says it was like him having a real cigarette!
Old 07-11-2015, 07:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't like slippery slopes.

Jennifer
Old 07-11-2015, 07:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I haven't had one of those dreams in a long time, but I sure used to. Glad you're able to observe it for what it is.

You're doing great, keep it up.
Old 07-11-2015, 08:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You're on firm ground now, though - with good shoes and everything.
Old 07-11-2015, 08:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Those dreams can be pretty vivid, I still have them from time to time. It's important for me to remember though that they are merely dreams. Our sobriety is maintained by our actions and conscious thoughts/plans while we are awake.
Old 07-11-2015, 08:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I truly believe a review of early sobriety is in order after one of these dreams. I believe they are sent to us when we are on the brink of complacency. They are a valuable reminder that we are works in progress.

Jennifer
Old 07-13-2015, 03:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I still have drinking dreams occasionally but much less these days. Remarkably vivid and I wake up feeling really annoyed at myself for giving in. Then a huge wave of relief on realising it wasn't real.
Yes it can be a bit frightening but they are a great reminder of how awful I used to feel when I was drinking and how glad I am to be sober.
Old 07-13-2015, 04:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by countrygirl2014 View Post
I truly believe a review of early sobriety is in order after one of these dreams. I believe they are sent to us when we are on the brink of complacency. They are a valuable reminder that we are works in progress.

Jennifer
Good way to look at it Jennifer. I never thought about it like that. I do know that I failed every time I became complacent. We are works in progress and it definitely takes work to recommit to sobriety each day. Glad it was only a dream.

Definitely a valuable reminder.