Notices

Checking in

Old 07-09-2015, 08:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Checking in

I wanted to check in I've made a lot of changes since my last set of posts and a lot has happened. My last post on 3/10 was in a drunken stupor. I'd called a cab to go to detox but it never showed and I despite the out-pour of support from that thread, I continued on drinking. I could manage to put a few days together, and got up to 10 once but always went back. In May I got a good job during a sober stretch but went a 4 day bender and just didn't go in or call, the 4th time in the past year that situation has happened. That last night of a 4 day binge a friend came over and I again talked about entering treatment but I didn't want to lose my freedom... He said, "honestly how much freedom do you really have right now?" That really got me thinking. Something just clicked and the next day I knew I had to call and get help.

So two days later I entered a 5 day detox. Thankfully my insurance covered a 30 day treatment and I made the decision to fly to Florida for it directly from detox. I had a great therapist there and got so much from the experience. Today is my 48th day clean and I feel like it's a miracle. When you're in the middle of it and actively using things just seem so hopeless and dark. All of the fog is slowly lifting and I feel so much more hopeful about the future.

Since I got out I've stuck to my plan. I'm hitting AA meetings daily, SMART once a week (all there is) and Refuge Recovery as a weekly mindful meditation meeting which has been great. Looking forward to actually using this as a tool again as well for maintaining sobriety. Anyway thanks for reading everyone has been helpful throughout the years! Much love
Old 07-09-2015, 08:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Happy 48 days!!
Old 07-09-2015, 08:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Congrats on 48 days and a new life! Hope you'll also make SR a regular part of your recovery. Great thing about this place is it's open 24/7.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Grateful

You're doing great! You should be proud of yourself but also know that you're only one drink away from losing it all. That's a way I keep myself straight and honest. I have 3 years, but I am the same as someone with just 1 day. We're all just one drink away from losing it all over again--regardless of the amount of sobriety time.

Rehab is a great way to get sober. I had to go to a 30 day rehab as well (plus a 4 day detox at a hospital). That's great you're hitting meetings daily along with other outpatient support. That's what I did, and I'm still sober, God willing. Many people from my rehab relapsed quickly after their 30 days. I didn't want to be one of "these" people, so I did EXACTLY what my rehab told me to do--hit one to two meetings a day for a while.

When you're feeling stressed, try listening to Bell Ruth Naparsteck on Youtube (free)! My rehab recommended her guided meditations to overcome dealing with stress WITHOUT booze (something I hadn't done since I was like 10 or something).

Again, great job!
Old 07-09-2015, 10:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hats off to you simplex, that's an awesome story. I hope it has many more sober chapters.
Old 07-09-2015, 11:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Day 48 is fantastic!! Keep it going!!
Old 07-09-2015, 11:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations, simplex, on your sobriety and the courageous steps you took to achieve those 48 fantastic days.

Thanks for your post. Power on.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's so good to hear from you simplex. We have to be ready. It sounds like you're very enthused for your new life, and filled with hope.
Old 07-09-2015, 03:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

So glad to read this update Simplex.

It sounds like things are going really well now

D
Old 07-09-2015, 07:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I actually remember that post very clearly. It was a busy thread. Again, hats off to you.
Old 07-10-2015, 06:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone looking forward to walking this road
Old 07-10-2015, 06:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Congratulations!

Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path
Old 07-10-2015, 06:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Well done simplex!
Sound like you started making some smart decisions.
I wish you ongoing success with your recovery.
Old 07-10-2015, 09:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on 48 days