Notices

100 days

Old 07-09-2015, 04:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Chances

100 days

I have an app on my phone that counts for me and today is 100!
I really consider 2015 my year as i gave up on new years, lasted 85 days and tried the moderate drinking mistake. 5 days later on Apri 1st (fools day) I gave up again again.
Have to say it's not all roses but life is better. Anxiety and lack of Patience are still my traits. I think i really need to stop just 'not drinking' and try to learn to live sober - ie face my flaws and actively try to overcome them and improve my outlook, attitude and personality.

I go to AA occasionally - 3 times a month on average. I listened to a bloke who'd done time in prison and lived violently talk. He'd mentioned his past but talk more about his tafe course, plans to get a career and the happiness sobriety brought him. Whilst we had little in common i admired his positive attitude, happiness and outlook. I drew strength from him.
He started drinking again and whilst i knew and saw little of him his fall really affected me.
Moral of the story - Be honest as life's hard. Problems, struggles, pain and hardship are real. He claimed to be so positive and happy on easy street as he probably hoped and wished if he appeared that way it might come true. Sobriety alone isn't the easy road to happiness but effort brings reward. Alcohol will make life harder and problems impossible but it's important I think to be honest. Accept your torment, problems and fears. Struggled to own them and seek solutions to improve your lot. No human being lives in a state of ecstacy, as happiness is not perfection. To me its probably just knowing that you are doing your best and working through life accepting the things you can't change, having the courage to try to change the things you can and the wisdom to know the difference. That poor bloke hoped and wished for happiness so he tried to disown his struggles and state of mind and it brought him down.
Goodluck all

Ps After 22 years of drinking I'm really impressed with my progress to date. I also not promoting AA. I use it as a support group as it helps me to remain focused so please don't make comments for or against it.
Thanks
Old 07-09-2015, 05:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Not my real name.

185 days out of the 190 days so far in this year is a pretty darn good effort. Good on ya!

PS. what app are you using? I hope it doesn't say "sober days" or something haha, I would prefer something a little more discreet.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Chances

Thanks
It's called a free app called 'HabitBull'
Designed for both making and breaking habits.
I use it to count sober days, smoke free days and healthy new habits - ie I have it set to count healthy eating days plus gym, bicycle rides and walking with the goals being however many days a week or month you choose. It's quite helpful and you can count anything with whatever goals you choose to set
Old 07-09-2015, 05:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Not my real name.

Thanks, I will check it out. Last time I quit I knew the date and just counted on the calendar from there. Around 50 days I lost track and started counting months. Got to 6 months and figured I could drink moderately like a 'normal' person.

Nope. Day 1 today.
Old 07-09-2015, 06:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well done you! I made 100 days yesterday, so we're at the same sober point. We've done good.
Same as you I've realised there's life changes to be made and I'm joining (trying) AA this weekend, everything I was blocking out with years of drinking is now all there for me to see, needs dealing with.
Good luck to you too, let's hope we're posting at 200 days, a year, 5 years and on............ but for now, we're doing ok.
x
Old 07-09-2015, 08:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Congrats on 100 days, ChancesAh!

This time in my recovery I've had to work hard at realizing I can't control other people, including controlling whether they decide to take that first drink. All I can do is offer what little experience, strength, and hope I have when they ask for help.

Wishing you the best today and congrats again!
Old 07-09-2015, 08:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats ChancesAh

Wishing you continued success and happiness!!
Old 07-09-2015, 10:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Day 100 is fantastic!! Keep it going!!
Old 07-09-2015, 04:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

100 days is great ChancesAh- congrats!

D