I've gotten picky with frienships

Old 07-08-2015, 11:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I've gotten picky with frienships

I think the following story is a sign that my AlAnon program is working.

I used to have some unhealthy friends, most of the time they were alcoholics.

Upon moving back to my hometown this year, I reconnected with a couple and started a new professional club with them and another person. After a very short time, the lady of the pair began exhibiting some very odd behavior. This included obvious attempts to get me enmeshed in a lot of drama, such as her hamfisted attempts to control our organization. She really turned into an incompetent blundering control freak. Classic untreated AlAnon material.

Now she is hot that I have quit her club and quit spending time with her.

I mentioned to my home group that she had become a second qualifier to me in the program. This idea of cutting toxic people out of my life is a relatively novel concept I wish I had known 30 years ago.

I am grateful to AlAnon and SR for the support and sanity.
Old 07-08-2015, 06:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've cut people out recently too and have others at arms length. You will never regret it
Old 07-08-2015, 06:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree. Once I started valuing myself and treating myself better, I automatically started havung discernment and surrounding myself with healthier people. Water seeks its own level.
Old 07-09-2015, 04:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Nothing against Al-Anon but a lot of that new found wisdom comes with age. You just get to a point in life where you think....what the hell am I doing with these people. I don't need this any more.
Old 07-09-2015, 04:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I cleaned the friend house 2 years ago. One of my best decisions ever. Life is very calm and drama free.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You've got to drop the things that weigh you down.
Old 07-09-2015, 11:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've done a bit of that as well. I see and understand so much more about my relationships with others since I began Alanon and SR. I didn't realize how unhealthy some of my friendships were (mostly As and assorted problem drinkers), and my life is more peaceful because of it.

It hurts some though, one of the friends I've limited contact with has been in my life for nearly 30 years, we were just teens when we met. Her drinking has progressed to a point to where she can become emotionally abusive and bullying when she's drunk. I simply don't answer her calls after a 8:00pm because I know she's likely smashed and I don't want to deal with it, and the beauty of it is, I now realize that I don't have to deal with it. Her drinking/drama is not my problem.

You can never have too little drama and BS in your world!
Old 07-09-2015, 03:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Also had to decide just this morning to not pursue membership in a professional organization I was considering. It is run by someone who is not even one of their board members, who exhibits all the personality traits of an active alcoholic. All the members do exactly what this individual tells them to.

A saying from one of our SR friends comes to mind:

"When they show you who they are, BELIEVE them!"