Notices

I'm a hypocrite :-(

Old 07-08-2015, 11:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm a hypocrite :-(

My husband doesn't really think it's right that I've relapsed , yet at the same time trying to help others.

I never really thought about it that way before :/

Should I stay away until I get myself together ?

I need SR though :/

Honest thoughts please , I won't be offended

Xx
Old 07-08-2015, 11:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I don't think you should stay away. There are more than a few people who post here who have not yet completely quit drinking. Their experience, strength and hope can be as valuable as anyone's.

We are here to help those who want to stop drinking and live a sober life. That includes you.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Suki , thank you so much for your honesty , I have always respected your posts . That means a lot to me xx
Old 07-08-2015, 11:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

We help ourselves when we help others. It helped me to be here helping others especially very early on when I needed to "hug" the forum close. That said, it continues to help me to help others here We all have something to contribute. You haven't erased or lost any of your previous sober time either, Snoozy. Stay and help
Old 07-08-2015, 11:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I find that when i offer a supportive or encouraging word to others, it's like I'm preaching to myself! It helps me! Thinking about what to say to help others often helps me look at my own sobriety in a different way. Often I am stronger in my own walk after I have encouraged others.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Nothing wrong with providing moral support to all. If I get into a solution for someone I really have no experience with, then I'm being a hypocrite.

Sobriety is we thing for me - reaching out, asking questions - trying not to judge others and being supportive is what SR is about for me.........

Many times our loved ones maybe don't know exactly what works for us in trying to achieve some sobriety, imo.

Glad you're here -
keep posting!
Old 07-08-2015, 11:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Snoozy, as long as you still have a desire to stop drinking, then I think you should continue to use SR to help you. Your posts have helped me get through some trying times and I'm sure plenty of others here would say the same. Just by being brave enough to share your recent relapse has helped many I'm sure. All of that said, I think the most important thing is for you to get back on that sober horse and ride it for all it's worth, because YOU are worth it
Old 07-08-2015, 11:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks so much FBL XXXXXX
Old 07-08-2015, 11:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've slipped a few times. And was ALWAYS welcomed back to SR.

Your posts/input are as valid as anyone.

Stay close to the solution, don't stay away from it.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

^^What they said

I agree, Snoozy. Stay and keep posting!

Maybe your husband could use an AlAnon meeting or three.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

STAY . . . we're all in this together no matter what journey we're currently on!!
Old 07-08-2015, 11:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're here.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:47 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

((Snooze)), do whatever, and go to any measure that might stop or slow the momentum of your relapse.

My thoughts and prayers are with you as you work back to sobriety.

My best, sweetie!

Carlos
Old 07-08-2015, 12:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Stay! You may have relapsed but that is all the more reason to stay. If you don't feel good about helping others until you're sober again, just come here for help. Then you can help others later on again.

Btw, I don't mind if you have some really good advice that can help someone, even if you're drinking yourself. Heck, maybe you help someone and end up helping yourself with it as well.

But I don't recommend helping people when you're intoxicated since your judgement is clouded. On the other hand, you are free to do so and others can make up their own mind about what you write. And the whole group is here to support each other, so if one person gives bad advice, someone else will step in in a helpful way and respectfully correct them. We all make mistakes you know.

But priorities. That's the most important part. Your priority is to get sober, so focus on that.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey Snoozy I don't think you should listen to your hubby! He may be right about a lot of things but not about this one lol
Old 07-08-2015, 12:13 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Adventurer

I would hope and think I would still be welcomed back if I happened to relapse.

I can only think being here helps no matter what stage your in once you come to terms that alcohol is something you need out of your life.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:16 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Yep, stay here.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:30 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Your husband is wrong, in my opinion. I have been stopping and starting my drinking for thirteen years now and it has only been by a combination of helping others AND asking for help for myself this time that I've been able to stay sober for two months now.

It was around day 10 or so this time (which was my usual time period to relapse, days 10-14 or so) that I took a look at folks here with long term sobriety--dee74 and soberwolf in particular--and said to myself, "I want what they have so I'm going to try and do what they did to get and stay sober." One of the first things I started doing to emulate them was help others here. Lots of times all that involves is saying hello and welcome to newcomers, but sometimes I think I'm able to offer a little more so I try to do what I can. I'm glad no one told me that I shouldn't be offering advice or help at 10 days sober because I truly think the simple and repetitive act of one addict helping another is what is keeping me sober today.

Posting here about myself and listening to and helping others builds accountability to myself and to those others. That has been a cornerstone of my recovery so far.

It doesn't matter if you have one day sober or 10,000. We're all alcoholics and we're all sober the most important day of all--TODAY. You haven't lost your wisdom and compassion just because you drank again and you need to keep sharing those things and also keep asking for help here. You have a lot to offer us, and it would be a loss to my personal sobriety if you were not here, no matter how many days since your last drink.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:33 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I agree with everything the others have said from their hearts and collective wisdom.

Please, please - stay dear Snooz.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:33 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
under new management

I am adding myself to the "stay" chorus! Most definitely stay! You help yourself, you help others.

We are all in different phases of our journey's but we are on the journey together