Notices

spouse getting mad!!!

Old 08-29-2004, 01:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

spouse getting mad!!!

Is it normal for a spouse to get mad and heirass Me when I quit drinking? Is it me? she knows I am on edge..maybe she is just sick of me trying and doesn't want to be let down again sorry for rambling I need to get into a group AA or something...This is a bunch of $#$%^& I have never felt so crappie abought my life. I know i am being a wimp.
my spelling sucks...
Old 08-29-2004, 02:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Growing Up

Hi Jmar -
Yeah it's not that uncommon for one's spouse to either be more annoying or just seem more annoying when you have started recovery. I don't doubt that it makes things harder for you either way. I think you probably have a point about her not wanting to be let down. Recovery is a whole new normal. Not just for you. In my experience, I got so used to managing the kids at night while my hubby drank that when he stopped he was suddenly in my way!
The best suggestion I have for you is to tell her how you feel - in the most non-combative way possible. Recovery is stressful not just for you but for everyone living with you. Talk about what would make things easier for you and ask her what would make things easier for her. And try to have this conversation at a time when you feel good, like in the morning, not when you're fighting a craving!
Best to you and congrats on your quit. Smart move!
Old 08-29-2004, 02:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

jmar, why is she harassing you? Does she still drink? Often just quiting drinking doesn't make life better. We are still the same person with the same problems that need to be dealt with. AA can definatly help. If your wife is doubting that you are sincere, time to take action. Get out to some AA meetings, find some that you like. Then get a sponsor and work the 12 steps. Keep honest, open minded and be willing to do what is suggested. You will be rewarded. Life will get better!
Old 08-29-2004, 03:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Red face

Jmar--Hello and welcome to SR. I am Laura and I am an alkie/pothead with a precious 6+ months of sobriety. I am sorry you are having a rough time. Getting sober is not easy--it is simple, but not easy. Like Marty said, AA can definitely help. I would also encourage your wife to get involved in Al-anon.

Keep hangin' on and keep posting!!!!!

Hugs to you--