Notices

No Tiramisu

Old 07-06-2015, 09:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

No Tiramisu

Hello all,

Well I am just shy of 2 months sober. I am liking the reprieve from alcohol, so much less to worry about when I am living honestly. Anyways, we were celebrating my brother's birthday. So I bought him a Tiramisu Cake. This cake was gorgeous. Wrapped in lady fingers, with whipped cream and dark chocolate shavings at the top. Man, couldn't wait to dig in. By happenstance, I decided to ask if there was any alcohol in it, and was told there may be a little rum.

Well no way was I having this bugger called AV kick in and rear it's ugly head. I bought the cake, and admit to glancing longingly at it several times. My niece didn't think there was any harm in my having it. But I stayed true to myself, the caution flag was up and waving.

I am proud to say, I DID NOT have the Tiramisu. I write this with a smile, because I know this is just a tiny thing on this road of recovery. But I think it's an important lesson as well, in that there will be some things that I will have to let go of, like certain desserts...I am making a list of things to let go of in sobriety, besides the obvious (alcoholic beverages) what should I/ we say goodbye to?
Old 07-06-2015, 09:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

awesome post
Old 07-06-2015, 11:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
under new management

Hi Neighbour!!

Good for you for choosing not to have any of that scrumptious sounding cake!

I am happy for you to be proud of yourself. We need to revel in our victories!

Old 07-06-2015, 11:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

I recently passed on Tiramisu also for the same reason!!! P.S. if you make it yourself at home you can use strong coffee instead of the liquor- still so yummy!
Old 07-06-2015, 01:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Well done interruptedgirl - I wouldn't have known there was booze in Tiramisu
Old 07-06-2015, 01:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by interruptedgirl View Post

I write this with a smile, because I know this is just a tiny thing on this road of recovery.
That's not a tiny thing. That's AWARENESS.

In my experience, that's a MAJOR part of my own recovery.

Awesome. Awesome. Awesome!

Love this post!
Old 07-06-2015, 02:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I never got drunk from cake, and wouldn't hesitate to have a small piece of that tiramisu. It doesn't matter what my av says, I don't drink anymore and never will.

We all look at it differently I suppose, but I don't look for trace amounts of alcohol in everyday things I ingest, because it can get a little silly. YMMV.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

I agree that it is a awareness. It's a big step. No, I've never gotten drunk from eating cake either. But tasting and smelling liquor in something I'm eating is a possible trigger for me. So is non-alcoholic beer and wine.

Maybe it is early sobriety, but I'd rather avoid it all together.
Old 07-06-2015, 04:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm proud of you too
You stuck to your convictions and what you consider was right.

D
Old 07-06-2015, 07:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dharma33 View Post
I agree that it is a awareness. It's a big step. No, I've never gotten drunk from eating cake either. But tasting and smelling liquor in something I'm eating is a possible trigger for me. So is non-alcoholic beer and wine.

Maybe it is early sobriety, but I'd rather avoid it all together.
Same! I see non-alcoholic wine and beer and am curious about it, but then I think the next step might be the real stuff. I am not willing to risk my sobriety this early in the game. Thanks for the support!
Old 07-06-2015, 07:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

i once freaked out because i thought i swallowed some of my mouth washa nd was worried about craving or something kicking in. luckily i was ok.
I think its best to be safer then sorry later. No cake is worth my clean time.
When i made a commitment to myself to be clean and sober it was just that not a lil bit, not sometimes , but to give it my all. I've seen too many relapse and end up in places i dont wanna be. GOOD JOB ITS GOTTA FEEL GREAT NOT LETTING SOMETING CONTROL YOU. i know it does for me!
Old 07-06-2015, 08:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good for avoiding it. I was at a Mongolian grill type place the other day and skipped the cooking sherry on my stir fry. Just figured better safe than sorry.
Old 07-07-2015, 01:48 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Well done! Now, treat yourself by making your own! You can buy the ladyfingers pre-made. Normally you'd soak them in a mixture of coffee liqueur or rum and coffee/expresso, but you can use just coffee, or coffee and a bit of almond extract. Tiramisu is elegant and delicious but not really hard to make.