Notices

What do you do?

Old 07-05-2015, 10:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What do you do?

I am having a very strong urge to drink right now. I just want a taste. I have thought it through. I know it will not just be one drink. However the desire is soooo strong. I ate a whole bunch of cookies. Still want to drink. What do you do?
Old 07-05-2015, 10:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Drink lots of water so you're not the slightest bit thirsty. Go for a walk if you can, or do something physical. good you've posted on here!
please try hard not to x
Old 07-05-2015, 11:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Pressure makes diamonds

Glad you posted don't drink at any cost. You will put yourself back at day 1. Remember the withdrawals? Sweats, feeling empty, sad, sick and sick and tired of being sick and tired? Well that's where 1 sip will bring you.
Go outside, get exercise. Grab an ice coffee or ice cream, but stay away from alcohol. The cravings will pass SweetBaby.
Old 07-05-2015, 11:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was in your position a few days ago. I did everything I could to convince myself that it was ok; that I had been sober long enough to handle just a few drinks. I was so, so wrong and I'm still recovering from what turned into a hellish few days.

I would do anything to get back to your position right now, as awful as you might be feeling, because you can still make the right choice. Try getting out of the house and mixing up your routine and do something that has absolutely no association with alcohol in your mind. That worked for me at times.

Otherwise, think about everything you have to be grateful for in your life. Even if it's just being alive, there is something you want to be there to enjoy in the future. Don't let that first drink start you on the path to losing something you care about.

I'm sorry if this is rambly, but I wanted to post it before there was any chance you decided you couldn't hold another second. You can resist this and you're going to feel so much better when your craving goes away.
Old 07-05-2015, 11:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Re-Member

It's just a craving. It has no real power over you as long as you don't take that first drink. It'll go away. Don't let your addiction talk you into that first drink.

Post on here once a minute if you have to.

Take a long walk or run.

Eat a gallon of ice cream.

Take a shower.

Read old posts here.

Think that drink thru all the way to the worst possible ending.

Make a gratitude list.

Call someone you haven't talked to in a while or someone who would understand and help you now.

Go to an AA or other recovery meeting.

Don't take that first drink no matter what. We're here for you. Good job coming here first.
Old 07-05-2015, 11:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Re-Member

And welcome to SR, StrongEnough.
Old 07-05-2015, 11:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Sweet baby the best tools in this scenario is 'playing the mental tape' & Urge surfing i include 2 very useful links

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...tml?styleid=93

Gratitude list is also a good tool so is journalling so you can expose the urge on the page and see it for what it is a urge, it will pass SB

& Welcome to SR StrongEnough
Old 07-05-2015, 11:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thoughts are simply that, they do no harm and pass eventually, on their own they can't cause a hangover in the morning, so it's all about what you do with them that's important!!

Distraction is a great tool, sitting with my thoughts was never easy, instead by getting up and doing something, even if it was reaching out for support, that all passed a bit of time for the thoughts to pass!!

Hang in there!!
Old 07-05-2015, 11:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

As we learn and eventually know, too
much of anything is not good for anyone.
Switching from one addiction or habit
for another can be just as dangerous or
unhealthy as the next.

That doesn't mean that we have to quit
every single thing we do entirely in life
because we don't. Quiting one thing at
a time and finding balance in all we do
is healthier for us in the long run.

I had to be taught about my addiction
to alcohol and its affects on my mind,
body, soul and those around me. In doing
so allowed me to understand how dangerous
a poisonous and controlled substance was
to me when injested.

Knowledge of things we don't know much
about is a powerful thing and the more knowledge
we learn, the better off we become in learning
healthier ways to live our lives without trying
to kill ourselves with poisonous substances.

Many have learned to remain sober or
clean on their own, then there are many
who have tried to control our substance
abuse on our own with little to no success.

That is when rehab and a program of
recovery becomes available to us who
need lots of help in listening, learning,
absorbing before we begin to apply
all that useful and helpful knowledge
taught to us to get ourselves healthy,
happy and honest in all areas of our lives.

Don't be affair to ask for help in which
you did by coming here to SR and asking
for what you need. Take suggestions seriously
as those who have learned to live a many
one days at a time without drugs or alcohol
are graciously paving the path of recovery
for those struggling with addiction to follow.

Nothing in life will change unless we
make changes of them ourselves. That
is what we call action. Recovery takes
action to change people, places and things
associated with drugs or alcohol that would
keep us in our own addiction.

Serenity to accept the things I can not change
Courage to change the things I can
Wisdom to know the difference

Old 07-05-2015, 11:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Trudgin

I was taught the urge many times floods over us because we may be hungry, angry, lonely or tired = HALT

I found this to be true for me in many instances and took appropriate action depending on which condition rolled over me.

Also, I always remembered This too shall pass........ It may sound trite or corny but it give me enough pause to think, think, think it through

You doing well, hang in there - try some basic mediation/exercise. And yes, eat some ice cream!!!!
Old 07-05-2015, 11:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

So glad you posted! You've received some awesome advice, SweetBaby--love, love, love what Casey W wrote (especially the part about the ice cream)! As everyone else said, this will pass, and you will be so grateful (and proud) that you didn't give in. I promise that it will get easier as time goes on!
Old 07-05-2015, 12:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

When I had strong urges, I thought the process all the way through carefully ... from having one drink, to having more, to having difficulty quitting, having those early day miseries and having to do a program and the whole nine yards. By the time I made it to the end, 1) I realized I simply didn't want to go through all that again, and 2) if I thought it through really thoroughly, the urge was gone by the time I got to the end.

In our op program, one of the things they discussed was that if we went beyond simply thinking about it (actively continuing to crave or nearly having a slip or actually slipping, contacting friends who are our allies is crucial.
Old 07-05-2015, 12:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm so glad you came on here and shared. I had very strong cravings yesterday. I told myself that it was simply not going to happen. I reminded myself of all the positives of being sober, and the negatives of drinking. I can't stop at one. One could very well lead to binge drinking for who knows how long and I will fight that with everything I have in me. Yesterday, I had a rather large drink of soda mixed with tea. It was very sweet and just what I needed plus I came to SR. The feeling went away and afterwards I was so happy that I didn't listen to that voice. *hugs* Hang in there!
Old 07-05-2015, 01:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

There are lots of good ideas here.

I hope you get through this.
Old 07-05-2015, 01:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Don't forget to ask your higher power to remove the obsession. Last April, after 5 months without a drink, I craved alcohol (please note I did not say 1 drink. I never crave 1 drink.) I thought it through. I would drink a fifth, then another, then another. I would drink for days, weeks, maybe months, maybe years. I would have to get sober again. Withdraw again. After all that thought, I drank - for 5 weeks. I told my sponsor that I made a conscious decision to drink. She pointed out that wasn't a conscious decision to drink. That was the obsession, because to still drink after all that thought was crazy thinking. Alcoholism is cunning, baffling and powerful. I need a spiritual defense against that first fifth. Be well and stay sober.
Old 07-05-2015, 02:44 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

You are so awesome for reaching out! Ice Cream was key for me...something about the sugar I think. For me, when I got in this head space, staying at home was the best for me as my home was a sober place without alcohol and temptation. Do whatever you need to do in order not to drink. This will get easier!!
Old 07-05-2015, 02:47 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Ok so I have done a few things today. Ate ice cream, played with the kids, napped, cleaned, etc. Now I am sitting here cooking dinner listening to a AA podcast. Still urging. However I haven't had a drink. I am trying to get to tomorrow.

My darn AV keeps saying if you don't drink today you can tomorrow. Its just nuts!
Old 07-05-2015, 02:51 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

SweetBaby, you thought it through and you know it won't be just one drink. What I did more than anything else is just suffer through the cravings, they do go away. In 5 days I'll be 5 years sober and I can't remember the last time I had a craving. They really do go away with time, rootin for ya.
Old 07-05-2015, 03:17 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Re-Member

SweetBaby, congrats on not taking that first drink today. Sometimes that's all we can do, especially early on. We've drank for a long time and our addiction wants what it wants. Just do the same thing you did today tomorrow and I promise you won't get drunk tomorrow either. And the cravings do get better with time and work on our part. Asking for help and admitting your urges on here is a fantastic first step as far as that work goes. Very proud of you!
Old 07-05-2015, 03:29 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

It gets easier SweetBaby. The more you stay sober the less the addiction feeds

D