Notices

Thoughts?

Old 07-04-2015, 04:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thoughts?

Does anyone relate to the following?: I'm a huge creature of habit and have a massive addictive personality. Recreational drugs became everyday, smoking became everyday, and eventually, alcohol became everyday. Although I kicked the first two, I'm only newly free from the third.

All I do is replace one addiction with another.

My question is, am I an alcoholic or is it just because the habit of drinking became so concrete?

I've had no huge problems with my alcohol detox and I'm on 20 days. I still think about drinking during the trigger periods (getting home, on weekends etc)
Old 07-04-2015, 04:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It sounds like your life will be vastly improved by not drinking so I'm not sure the label matters that much?

As for once 'an addict always an addict' - I think there's enough folks around here to show you that's not the case - we can, and do, change

D
Old 07-04-2015, 04:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Addiction and habit in my experience went hand in hand, I'd come home from work, and drink myself into oblivion each night, get up the next morning and go to work with a hangover, and then repeat . . . I did this for years.

For me habit and addiction became one in the same thing after a while, but I knew I had a problem and it was more than simply habit when it was soo difficult to stop drinking, try not drinking for 30 days I always thought would be easy, I have this under control, but I hadn't, my addiction had taken over, I had crossed that line!!

But habits can be changed, out with the old and in with the new, and the more I've changed my lifestyle away from drinking, my addiction has slowly lost it's control, it's lost it's grip the more I've revolutionised my life to one of a non drinker!!
Old 07-04-2015, 04:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Purple. Your story sounds exactly like mine
Old 07-04-2015, 04:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Interesting question, I believe either scenario you propose is possible. You may or may not be an alcoholic, but it sounds like drinking was part of your daily life and you wanted to quit. So that's a sign. On the other hand, if you are a tried and true creature of habit, once you eliminate alcohol and develop a new habit or activity to replace that, and it becomes difficult to change back to drinking, well, I guess that would be a good thing. I was a daily drinker, it was starting to effect my marriage. So we agreed I would not drink during the week. After two weeks of not drinking during the week, I had no desire what so ever to drink during the week. That time was now occupied by a new activity, and I got used to that routine. Being a creature of habit can be a blessing or a curse.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've tried analyzing myself over the last 20 years. Am I an alcoholic.

All I know is how much it has cost me.
Forget about the labels.

Just reflect and take a hard look at your history. Damage done. Opportunities lost. Things will get clearer then if you'd be better off without alcohol
Old 07-04-2015, 08:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I don't know if I'm an official alcoholic either.... alls I know is that I'm better off not drinking because it was causing me more and more misery.
Old 07-04-2015, 09:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I would say if alcohol is a daily habit-your probably alcoholic. I would also say if you have to detox from alcohol-your probably a alcoholic. Lastly if you crave alcohol at certain times each day-your probably a alcoholic.

Its good that you are aware of your addictive personality. Maybe you can stop it in its tracks. Maybe you can start working through this trait to not have to face another addiction and horrible detox.
Old 07-04-2015, 11:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I used a 'successful' month off alcohol (to raise money for charity) to back up my argument that I wasn't alcoholic. Even though the whole month was tortuous for me, and I was counting down the days to take another drink, obsessing about it, and being generally self-pitying for the whole month.

Far more telling for me was the survey on the AA website, which focusses more on your attitude to alcohol and the impact alcohol has on you and your existence, than frequency of drinking or amounts imbibed. Alcoholics Anonymous : Is A.A. For You? Twelve questions only you can answer
Old 07-05-2015, 12:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've been told to try to quit drinking for 90 days. If it's a problem, you're most likely an alcoholic. Normal people can give up alcohol without a second thought. Normal people don't question their drinking either. Those were 2 things I was told in the beginning. You said to be blunt. ;-)

Best of luck! Glad you're here!
Old 07-05-2015, 12:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks guys, really interesting. BTW, I don't plan on going back to drinking. No way. Too much pain
Old 07-05-2015, 07:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Yes i relate i was a big cocaine user (ive been clean 3 years) when i got clean my alcoholism got worse

I think most alcoholics have an addictive personality

Il be 2 yrs sober in 9 days
Old 07-05-2015, 07:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I agree that labels are not helpful - I think they are useless! What matters is that I know deep down that I cannot and never will be able to handle alcohol like a normie. Period.
Old 07-05-2015, 03:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Soberwolf. Been there too. Congrats on staying clean
Old 07-05-2015, 03:17 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thanks bud & when i said alcoholics have an addictive personality i meant getting hooked in the first place

We definatly can & do change as D rightly pointed out (Thanks D)
Old 07-05-2015, 03:23 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Onwards!