Notices

If you do not live in the U.S.

Old 07-04-2015, 06:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

If you do not live in the U.S.

If you do not live in the United States, how do you feel about the 4th of July, and will you be celebrating or drinking or around people who are drinking, or tempted to drink?
Old 07-04-2015, 06:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I'm very glad for the americans i know but it doesn't mean a celebration to me . Like any 24hr time period i find it's just another 24hrs to get through sober primarily , then i can add the relish once i got my fundamentals in place .

For example how do you feel about bastille day ?
Old 07-04-2015, 06:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Nope its never seen as a celebration or excuse to have a drink over here
Old 07-04-2015, 07:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah, seems like little reason for those of you in the UK to celebrate this day, haha.

I'd imagine our nation's birthday is the most famous one out there, but I'd imagine it's not celebrated in other countries unless it's just a group of American expats, troops overseas, etc.

This is always one of my favorite holidays since I'm not a religious person, I'm a bit of a pyro and love fireworks, haha. And in the past, yes, booze. I'm the DD tonight though, so not worried at all and really looking forward to the BBQ party/fireworks show I'm going to.
Old 07-04-2015, 07:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey. I just commented on your other thread but just want to chime in on this one too.

I don't need a REASON to drink!

1. Happy...drink
2. Sad...drink
3. Sunny...drink
4. Rainy...drink
5. Holiday...drink
6. WWIII....drink
7. Now to read my other post on the thread you started yesterday! Haha

And DO NOT DRINK for 24 hours!!! I won't either! I'm gonna hang out with sober people today in AA meetings.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nymets86 View Post
I'd imagine our nation's birthday is the most famous one out there
Not to burst your bubble but if I didn't know the 4th July had a significance, I still wouldn't know.

No one I've crossed paths with either on the build up to this weekend or today has mentioned it to me, there are no social media updates from those living here on it and the media either newspapers or on television have even mentioned it from what I've seen, there are many that I know wouldn't even know what the significance was if I asked them.

From a Sobriety point of view it's important I think to be able to deal with occasions as a non drinker as just another day, the missing out on drinking can be a strong emotion, whether it's Xmas, New Years, birthdays, weddings, St Patricks Day or the 4th July, we can enjoy them all, like any other day without alcohol.

Happy 4th July everyone!!
Old 07-04-2015, 08:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

While I live in the U.S., I never needed a "reason" to drink. Other than when I was asleep ( or passed out ) or at work, I pretty much drank all the time, every day. Sure, it was more convenient to drink on holidays as there were parties and gatherings where alcohol was more prevalent, but I always found a way to drink on normal days too.

What has changed for me in regards to holidays and events is that I now recognize that the "everyone is drinking" concept is merely a ploy by my addiction. We are drawn to others who are drinking because we are alcoholics...but the majority of the population drinks sparingly or not at all. Even at holiday celebrations....people drink soda, water etc.
Old 07-04-2015, 10:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
under new management

In my fair city, we are currently having the "Greatest Outdoor Show On Earth", the Calgary Stampede.

10 days of drinking and debauchery, for many. Seriously, divorce, std's, sexual assaults, public drunkenness, and more are rampant during the 10 days of Stampede. The time of the year where drinking starts in the morning at corporate stampede breakfasts and then just goes from there.

A great time for drinkers to drink with abandon and not get called out on it.

Aside from that, the Stampede is an awesome time, if utilized correctly
Old 07-04-2015, 01:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks Purpleknight, I like to hear what you said. Here in the US, we tend to be egocentric and think the entire world revolves around our country. Its nice to hear the truth, and that is that there are some who don't give a damn. And I think that is good.
Old 07-04-2015, 01:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2ndhandrose View Post
In my fair city, we are currently having the "Greatest Outdoor Show On Earth", the Calgary Stampede.

10 days of drinking and debauchery, for many. Seriously, divorce, std's, sexual assaults, public drunkenness, and more are rampant during the 10 days of Stampede. :
Sounds like 10 days of pure heaven on earth! haha.
Old 07-04-2015, 01:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Scott, I think you see it the way you do because you are now in long term sobriety. Birds of a feather flock together. If you were actively drinking, you might think people who do not drink are a rarity. IMO of course.
Old 07-04-2015, 01:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am feeling pretty tired today Thomas seeing as you ask!

I spent a couple of hours walking, a couple of hours on trains, a couple of hours fishing, and a could of hours in a cinema all on a couple of hours sleep.

America gained independence from the Indians then is it?
Old 07-04-2015, 01:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Strat, "America gained independence from the Indians then is it?"

Are you asking this as a serious question or being a bit facetious?
Old 07-04-2015, 01:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Haha & not quite man. I was exaggerating my ignorance of history in this instance. It is a celebration of independence from British rule and colonialism I believe? Indeed, have a good one.

The point I was trying to make (ok maybe flippantly so) is that we wouldn't hear a word about it. I'd be none the wiser for example. Sorry if that offends your sensibilities, it is true though.
Old 07-04-2015, 01:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stratman1 View Post
Haha & not quite man. I was exaggerating my ignorance of history in this instance. It is a celebration of independence from British rule and colonialism I believe? Indeed, have a good one.

The point I was trying to make (ok maybe flippantly so) is that we wouldn't hear a word about it. I'd be none the wiser for example. Sorry if that offends your sensibilities, it is true though.
Strat- you aren't ignorant of history. :-) And, it seems strange that other nations would give a flip about our independence day (or at least make it a cause for celebration.)

I was at a party last night, not drinking of course. Everyone else was, but they only had one or two. I do believe we have a warped sense of how others drink when we are active in our addiction. Years ago, I would have assumed people were consuming like I was.
Old 07-04-2015, 02:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Change4good View Post
Strat- you aren't ignorant of history. :-) And, it seems strange that other nations would give a flip about our independence day (or at least make it a cause for celebration.)
Well that's a surprise because I just about didn't fail that particular subject in school at the lowest level. It was seriously grim reading. Particularly our own, I was like 'no way I need to know this stuff, excuse me I have my own problems' lol. So whatever about that, but I am definitely ignorant of Politics and have often confused the two when doing my own half baked research here (and the same goes for philosophy and religion, an even bigger faux pas for sure).

I will say this though. When I used to try and frequent these fringe type political/historical/spiritual websites for a period to help pass some of my downtime and perhaps learn something and converse a little, anything I read about Thomas Jefferson was appealing to me at the time. I do remember that much. I can't say anything more than that really because I don't know. The RonPaul thing was surely interesting! No more American politics for me after that.

Just to prove my point earlier. I typed '4th of July' into google news in Ireland. There are 172 articles, and every last one of them is about an instagram exchange between one Ms Taylor Swift and a Mr Calvin Harris. Which I am surprised by myself. I was looking to see if I had any related music and how could I forget it Hulk Hogan: Real American Theme music ftw? 30 years later and it still sounds as good, and now I am celebrating along here with you guys Peace.
Old 07-04-2015, 03:09 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
Thanks Purpleknight, I like to hear what you said. Here in the US, we tend to be egocentric and think the entire world revolves around our country. Its nice to hear the truth, and that is that there are some who don't give a damn. And I think that is good.
Not all of us and I don't need any blanket apologies on behalf of all Americans - it's offensive.

I am damn proud to be an American well still valuing global diversity and inclusion. I recognize our countries strengthens and her weaknesses.

The great apology atmosphere in this country undermines our collective brilliance and leadership.

God Bless America
Happy Independence Day to all my Country men - just as a few day ago I wished all Canadians happy Canada day!

Of course it is egocentric to think our Independence Day is celebrated anywhere else. This is a history lesson - nothing more.

Other countries don't celebrate Thanksgiving either - so maybe make a note of that one too!!!

Congratulations to all on our Independence from Alcohol today regardless if where you live!!
Old 07-04-2015, 05:00 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Strat, you from Ireland?
Old 07-05-2015, 12:07 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm pretty indifferent about 4th of July, but if it makes people happy, great!

I'm just glad you Americans have a really big military, and basically protect us Canadians to the north. If anyone comes knocking on Canada's door step, Uncle Sam is coming to get ya!

And no complaining about that, or we're shutting off the lights in California.
Old 07-05-2015, 12:41 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Magsie

Nicely put, flynbuy!

4th July 1968, the day my 12 year old brother died, so yeah, I remember it.

But , independence, as flyn says, is worth celebrating! Get out the cakes.,