Notices

Why No Russians? Chinese? Japanese? South Americans?

Old 07-02-2015, 05:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why No Russians? Chinese? Japanese? South Americans?

How come so few folks who seem to be signing on the Newcomer's forum come only from a few places, largely U.S., Canada, Ireland, England, Scotland, Australia and occasionally Spain? I have it from other sources that Vodka is a big problem in Russia, alcohol and drugs in China and throughout South America and Mexico, and in the U.S. on Native American lands, where the adolescent suicide rate is said to be sixteen percent. They have TV sets. I'm sure they have computers or iPhones. These folks need help too. Why can't we reach out to them somehow?

W.
Old 07-02-2015, 05:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've met people from all those places and more here - granted not too many, but more than one or two posters

It may be that we insist on English - but thats what most of us can read

D
Old 07-02-2015, 06:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Um Dia de Cada Vez

South American here, I can say the language is the biggest barrier, although I dont know any alcoholism online forums in portuguese, as Brazil is a catholic country, there a lot of churches who helps addicts and alcoholics in recovery, but those who have a little bit more money go to AA. Upper class usually go to rehabs or sober living facilities.

I like SR because it is 24/7, I can practice my english and It's free
Old 07-02-2015, 06:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yep I'd say language is a huge barrier to many of those - And culture. Many of those you've mentioned are cultures that tend to see getting help as even more stigmatized than western cultures
Old 07-02-2015, 06:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

They may have a site equivalent to SR in their area or native language.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes, I agree, I think it would be the language barrier as well...
...Have you ever used the online google translator?, sometimes hilarious, you know that is not what it is saying.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Of course language is the biggest barrier. I'm an Australian living in Japan. There is a big drinking culture in Japan. By definition (i.e. drinking most days) I would say many people are alcoholics. However, in general, their drunken behaviour is NOTHING like that seen in western countries. The Japanese are generally not aggressive people and rarely do the stupid things you see foreigners do here when they visit.
I am an English teacher here and was asked by a 10-year-old (grade 5) how many beers i drank a night? I don't drink beer so I answered zero but their homeroom teacher said that he drinks every night. It's normal and accepted. There are even commercials interviewing daily drinkers and suggesting they take these shellfish capsules. As far as i know there is little support here medically and people should deal with the issue themselves. This is from my perspective and I have been here in and out for 15 years. Of course there are exceptions but it is not common place as it is in Oz. Back home you are guaranteed to see a fight on the weekend and often see them drinking together later on. Cultural differences play a huge part.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've always heard that Asians have one of the lowest alcoholism rates among cultures due to an enzyme many Asians carry that makes drinking too much alcohol very uncomfortable physically for them. I'm not sure if this is true, but I don't know many Asians with drinking problems (if any at all).
Old 07-02-2015, 11:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BlissWithin View Post
South American here, I can say the language is the biggest barrier, although I dont know any alcoholism online forums in portuguese, as Brazil is a catholic country, there a lot of churches who helps addicts and alcoholics in recovery, but those who have a little bit more money go to AA. Upper class usually go to rehabs or sober living facilities.

I like SR because it is 24/7, I can practice my english and It's free
Your written English is very good.
Old 07-02-2015, 11:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That is a great question. I agree with others and imagine that language is the main barrier. In addition, there maybe internet access difficulties in 3rd world countries. I wonder what the rate of substance abuse in Africa is? What treatment methods are available. If anyone comes across an article, they could post it here.

B
Old 07-03-2015, 12:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Probably a language thing.
Old 07-03-2015, 02:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
saoutchik

yes, I agree with the others wpainterw, language would be the main reason - I guess most of us would not be posting on a site where the language was Mandarin or Hindi even though there are a billion plus speakers of both

I do know someone on SR who lives in Russia and is probably Russian

I have heard that there is a big drinking problem in India. East and Southeast Asia are supposed to have a narcotics problem - opium/heroin

We are all human so I am sure they face the same problems and behavioral issues as we do in the developed world
Old 07-03-2015, 07:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Um Dia de Cada Vez

Originally Posted by FeenixxRising View Post
Your written English is very good.
Thanks, I studied english for 7 years when I was a kid / teen, people say thats the best period of life to learn something. I'm glad I had the opportunity.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:59 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yeah probably the language barrier has something to it!!
Old 07-03-2015, 11:14 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

Some countries have internet restrictions but like D said ive met russian & south american here not many but some im not sure about chinese but im sure i will in time

I think SR has quite a broad spectrum of countries posting here
Old 07-03-2015, 11:31 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Zee

Russians and Eastern Europeans have a huge drink problem... I'm married to a native Russian ... he doesn't much like their culture though but has the odd beer or 3. I've been to Russia a few times and in their supermarkets they literally have row upon row of vodka on the shelves!!! Some starting at £1 or £2 for 750ml. People are always walking around with beer cans... smart dressed ladies, men in suits etc. they think beer is a soft drink! I also know a few Lithuanians and they drink loads. None of them seem to think they have a problem with it... totally in denial. Luckily for me I don't mind people drinking around me. Definitely a language thing although I doubt too many are bothered.
Old 07-03-2015, 11:45 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wpainterw View Post
How come so few folks who seem to be signing on the Newcomer's forum come only from a few places, largely U.S., Canada, Ireland, England, Scotland, Australia and occasionally Spain? I have it from other sources that Vodka is a big problem in Russia, alcohol and drugs in China and throughout South America and Mexico, and in the U.S. on Native American lands, where the adolescent suicide rate is said to be sixteen percent. They have TV sets. I'm sure they have computers or iPhones. These folks need help too. Why can't we reach out to them somehow?

W.
You might try "Chat". SR probably has more Americans and people with a first language of English, but I've seen people in chat from all of the places that you mention in chat seeking help. Perhaps there is a cultural difference where people don't "post to forums" but are willing to talk in a chat room where it isn't recorded forever for others to judge and comment on ...don't know just a thought.
Old 07-03-2015, 11:46 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soberween View Post
I've always heard that Asians have one of the lowest alcoholism rates among cultures due to an enzyme many Asians carry that makes drinking too much alcohol very uncomfortable physically for them. I'm not sure if this is true, but I don't know many Asians with drinking problems (if any at all).
I can reply to this. My grandmother was a Japanese immigrant, and she carried that enzyme. Even with a wine sauce or a bit of whiskey in a reduction sauce when grilling, the trace ethanol would cause her physical discomfort. She'd get feverish, have terrible stomach pains, and sweat. That was from sauces where the vast majority of the alcohol was cooked out. I never saw her drink, but heard of one occasion where she drank the better part of a wine cooler, and was physically ill almost right away.

My uncle, being half Japanese, inherited that trait. Weirdley, he used to work as a somelier, because he could stay sober and actually spit due to not wanting to be sick as a dog from the alcohol.

I guess it didn't make its way down to the quarter Japanese.grandkids, because most of us have drank our fill, and several.of us have struggled with substance abuse.

"Always Believe!" -The Ultimate Warrior