Notices

Doctors appointment today

Old 07-01-2015, 02:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Doctors appointment today

So after my last binge 6 days ago, Well that was the end of it at least, I booked a doctor's appointment to my physician. I told them it was for a check up and some other stuff I have been feeling. I have no idea what to say. I mean anxiety and other withdrawal symptoms, I don't know
Old 07-01-2015, 02:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Congratulations on booking the appointment Jax. It's not easy to be absolutely truthful with your doc, but there's no point in going for help and lying. One trick I learned is to write your alcohol consumption down on a piece of paper and hand it over. Also book a long appointment so he/she isn't under time pressure.
Although it took a couple of months for me to stop drinking, I see my doctor's appt as the first step in reaching sobriety. Another incentive was reading about the long term effects of alcohol on the brain and body. Scary!
Tell it like it is so the doc can find the best way of helping you. They appreciate honesty.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My instinct is just telling him I have sleeping problems, I'm anxious, etc. It's difficult to bring up the alcohol subject since I never do. And it's making me all the more nervous. Like he's just my primary care physician. Not like a therapist or physciatrists which I'd feel more comfortable talking about it in.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Tell him Jax! Otherwise he'll be thrashing around looking for a cause. My doc nearly fell off his chair when I told him how much I drank, but it didn't kill him, and he was a lot more helpful than if I'd kept it vague. Doctors see the effects of alcohol every day so it won't be out of his scope.

Be brave. I promise you'll feel much better once you've levelled with him and he will appreciate your honesty. Come back and tell us how it goes.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I understand it is hard and scary, but PLEASE be honest. What is the worst that could happen? Not much. What is the best that could happen? You have a health care professional who TRULY knows what is going on and can help you.

The way I see it, by being honest, you have everything to gain, and nothing to loose.

And trust me, you won't be the first or the last to admit to large alcohol consumption. Doctors are bound by confidentiality, so you would never know what they have heard and seen. And they would never share your story.

Do it. Be honest. You might find it liberating, and get proper help.
Old 07-01-2015, 03:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Nice job on booking the appointment Jax!

You definitely need to be honest. If you tell him it's just anxiety/sleeping problems, etc. he may give you medication that could make things worse.
We all think we're the first one with these problems and we're going to be judged, but I'm sure almost every doctor out there has had an addict patient before. There are approximately 140 million people with the same disease as you in this world. 30% of americans alone have reported having an alcohol problem. And that's just alcohol. There's another estimated 39 million drug addicts.

If you're really honest he can seriously help you through this. Even recommend vitamins and other things to make it easier on you.

I like FeelingGreat's idea of writing down your consumption and handing it to him. That's a quick way to get it over with and easier than saying it out loud.

I feel anxious over things like this too, but the relief once I actually say it and get the help I need it absolutely worth it.

Let us know how it goes!
Old 07-01-2015, 03:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just be honest. You'll feel a great sense of relief and you're much more likely to get treatment that will address all your issues

D
Old 07-01-2015, 03:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes. This. I was scared when I told my doctor, and anticipated feeling shame and guilt.

Instead, I felt relief, as Dee says. Our fear is often so much bigger than the reality. My doctor was compassionate and helpful, the world kept spinning, and I was in a much better place.

I don't want to presume too much, but sometimes we don't want to tell the truth to another because it means telling it to ourselves. We can't unring that bell. But, it might be time to take this step.

I am wishing you well, and trust that this is a great move on your part. Proud of you. Be brave, and let us know how it goes.
Old 07-01-2015, 03:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Come clean, be honest. It will only help you recover.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm a supporter of being honest w your doctor. It's in your best interest. Otherwise your wasting each other's time.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Adventurer

Being honest with your Dr. Is a big first step in recovery and as a bonus it keeps you honest with yourself. You know your going to the Dr. Because of how alcohol ravaged your life, might as well give them the most accurate information so they can help. Dr. Might suspect something anyways but can not read minds.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good job! Keep us posted on how it goes!
Old 07-01-2015, 08:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Hope you'll take a chance and tell the doctor the truth about your alcohol consumption. If he knows the truth, the doctor can probably help you out with some vitamin/other medicine suggestions. Alcohol withdrawal is hard on the body. Making the appointment is a good first step. Wishing you the best and let us know how it goes please!
Old 07-01-2015, 08:59 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I am also in the camp of being honest with your doc! Primary care docs are in the front lines of dealing with alcoholism. If yours turns out to be judgmental, then imho it's time to find another one. I'm finding that bringing this disease out into the light is a good start to dealing with it and also a good time to stop lying to ourselves.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Great job on making the appointment Jax!!

Just be honest, they're there to help, but they need all the information and the truth to provide the best care and treatment you need!!
Old 07-01-2015, 04:06 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Phew

So I did it. I told him for the most part what I've been going through, and he recommends me a physciatrist. I am glad, I think I should have attempted one long ago after my father's death and many other things that happened. But better late then never. Sure it's just a little step, but hopefully I can get the help needed.

He asked, what can I do for you today. Started out with my withdrawal symptoms then said drinking was involved. I saw he got it right away. Amazing if I had left it out he would have just told me something different like last time I went. I chickened out when it came to the little drinking detail lol. But it's definitely a relief. Thanks guys for all the great advice. It made all the difference
Old 07-01-2015, 04:10 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Cool beans!
Old 07-01-2015, 04:14 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Great stuff Jax!! Glad it all went well!!
Old 07-01-2015, 06:15 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I was just going to mention that you might find it to be a relief to tell him, I'm glad you did tell him and it was a relief. You can check that off your list.

My sister in law is a nurse, I was astonished when she told me the number of people she sees daily that are in her unit as a result of alcohol. Much more common and much more of a problem that I think most people realize. Good job Jax.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:42 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Congratulations, that took courage! Great job.