Notices

Buddy T alcoholism forum

Old 06-30-2015, 07:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Angry Buddy T alcoholism forum

Hi guys, was just wondering if anyone else was on the above forum which is now missing from the Internet. I joined it in 2010 and saw so much happen including 2 deaths and a marriage between members. On one occasion a dog was left homeless when a member died and someone on the forum who had never met this lady drove many many miles to pick up the dog and give it a new home.
It will be such a shame if this forum has disappeared.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I have not heard of that forum, but bad things can definitely happen when alcohol and addiction is involved. I do know that SR is alive and well and you are welcome to join us anytime you like!
Old 06-30-2015, 08:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Buddy T's About.com Forum refugee here! *waves*

The forum still exists, but it's much harder to find. Buddy T's explanation is that Google buries it in its search results because it generates an unfavorable ratio of "user-generated content."

It's funny that you should bring this up now, as there had been some discussion amongst the few surviving members of the forum to abandon ship and try to reconnect here on SR.

However, just in the last few days, there has been an influx of newcomers who somehow found that forum by hook or by crook, so it lives on for the moment.

You're right, that forum has always had a special, intimate vibe that is hard to replicate on a huge site like this one.

It'd be great to hear from you again on the About forum! About the only way I know to access it without a bookmark is to Google "alcohol withdrawal symptoms," choose the hit for the About.com withdrawal page (it's about 7th on the list), then scroll to the bottom of that page, where you'll find a link to the forum. Hope to see you there!
Old 06-30-2015, 09:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you Andante. I have just found it again funnily enough. I googled Grampadave and Buddy T and it came up. I didn't check in for a long time after Grampadave died and then when I did I found out that Caht and JoeY had got married. Hopefully you know these people? Thanks again for answering my post, much appreciated. Jude
Old 06-30-2015, 10:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Haven't heard of that Forum, but from my experience on SR the sad nature of addiction is that some may never make it, that's why many threads receive some tough love, as many have seen the sad consequences at times!!
Old 06-30-2015, 10:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Purpleknight View Post
Haven't heard of that Forum, but from my experience on SR the sad nature of addiction is that some may never make it, that's why many threads receive some tough love, as many have seen the sad consequences at times!!
Just to clarify, neither of the deaths to which the OP refers was due to alcoholism.

Both of the members of that forum who passed away were incredible, bright shining examples of sobriety and freely shared their amazing and hard-won experience, strength and hope. They are still missed.
Old 06-30-2015, 03:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
saoutchik

That sounds positive Andante glad you found it again KIITD
Old 06-30-2015, 05:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have participated in several about.com forums over the years. I am not sure who owns/owned the site--NY Times, perhaps? Anyway, I believe it was sold, and I think that some of the discussion boards were being eliminated. I am a sporadic visitor to SR, but I know that I can always find a thoughtful, lively discussion. I like that there are lots of topics.
I have had a variety of forum experiences over the years, some better than others. I always learned something, though. Some became too intimate, at the expense of honesty when personalities prevailed over principles. On the other hand, I have made some dear friends on forums.
So welcome to SR. I think it has much to offer, and I doubt about.com would mind that you visited.