Notices

This is the explanation I NEEDED!!!

Old 06-30-2015, 05:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This is the explanation I NEEDED!!!

Not sure why, but I have always been a person that needs to know WHY. WHY is this a disease? WHY can't I stop? WHY can't I drink normally? Etc.

Bimiblue posted this article yesterday about why we get addicted and honestly it's the first thing that has really EVER made sense to me about WHY we get addicted and HOW the disease progresses. (I'm sure there are other reasons and components too.)

I actually read it twice and have given a lot of thought to it. I wanted to re-post it because it really helped me. I had a LIGHTBULB moment!!! Thank Bimi!!!

Day 6 for me. I hope all are doing well.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post5443860
Old 06-30-2015, 05:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am really glad that it clicked with you Serenidad.

Congrats on day 6!
Old 06-30-2015, 05:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Pressure makes diamonds

Yes, I enjoyed reading that too. It makes perfect sense and then you know what to expect instead of fearing the future. Thanks for posting.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I wanted to know "why" and "what" and everything else. So when I first quit I read all kinds of stuff about addiction thinking knowledge would help. And maybe it did. But in hindsight, I see recovery like a recipe...where knowledge is just one ingredient. Just one. And probably not even the main one. Don't forget the other ingredients to your recovery.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Find and watch the documentary Pleasure Unwoven.

It used to be available on youtube, but I don't think it is anymore.

Fantastic explanation of addiction. I found it very helpful.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Pleasure Unwoven is a terrific, clear explanation of addiction by an MD who is also an addict. They showed us this video at my intensive outpatient program. It available for purchase at a big on-line store but it costs about $30.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Glad you've found some clarity Serenidad. I hope you can take the next step and accept your addiction for what it is and move on, congrats on Day 6 too.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
I wanted to know "why" and "what" and everything else. So when I first quit I read all kinds of stuff about addiction thinking knowledge would help. And maybe it did. But in hindsight, I see recovery like a recipe...where knowledge is just one ingredient. Just one. And probably not even the main one. Don't forget the other ingredients to your recovery.
Thanks Carl! I won't. :-) "Knowledge availed us nothing...." But for me it helps acceptance a lot easier.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
Find and watch the documentary Pleasure Unwoven. It used to be available on youtube, but I don't think it is anymore. Fantastic explanation of addiction. I found it very helpful.
I will!!!!
Old 06-30-2015, 06:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Glad you've found some clarity Serenidad. I hope you can take the next step and accept your addiction for what it is and move on, congrats on Day 6 too.
Thanks Scott. When I read that article, that's exactly what I got....FINALLY....Acceptance. I didn't even have acceptance during my 5.5 years if sobriety. I
Old 06-30-2015, 06:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Serenidad, it was really important for me to understand the physical part of addiction and the psychological part. I believe nature and nurture are both in play in the beginning - why we picked up in the first place, and a genetic predisposition. I think they are both in play when we quit, too. On top of that, we've doubled down and added a substance that changes our ability to do any kind of inner work while under the influence.

I am really happy that this physical piece of the puzzle resonated with you. I know that I would still have a difficult time without addressing my underlying psychological issues, coping skills, and my past.

Keep searching! Use all the tools in the box, like Carl said.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yes. Now I have a "visual" of what is going on in my brain. It's pretty scary to visualize "gates" opening, closing, multiplying, "waking up" etc.

When they talked about all the anxiety, depression etc we get during the first year of sobriety, that helped too!

Thanks Bimi!
Old 06-30-2015, 07:07 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad that the information resounded with you, Serenidad.

And, I'm so glad you are on Day 6.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congrats on 6 days!! Sometimes the right knowledge will set you free....
Old 06-30-2015, 08:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Trudgin

I too thought the article was helpful, if only as an analogy - I'm not a scientist or physician so don't know it's accuracy.

I am glad something clicked with you!

For me I had to get past the empirical data point. I had to recognize that alcohol had driven me to a point of near insanity. Certainly much of my behavior daily was crazy.

The thing that finally clicked for me was listening to ya'll> I heard this loud and clear in the rooms and on SR - Take the action on faith and then we will see the results.

It took awhile for this to register. I wanted to know what exactly would occur when I did xyz. I had to know everything! That was always part of my problem - the world isn't always wired into my expected outcomes.

Once I started taking sober action I started getting unexpected results. I was on my way........

Congrats on 6 days!!!
Old 06-30-2015, 09:24 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I haven't actually watched it yet but someone else recommended "Pleasure Unwoven" in another thread the other day. I found it on YouTube with just a simple search. I believe it is broken up into 5 or 6 parts but it's there. From the snippet I watched, it looked good.

Also enjoyed the posted article link. Thanks for sharing it again.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:21 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Another tool in the toolbox is always a great way forward!!

Day 6 is fantastic!! Keep it going Serenidad!!
Old 06-30-2015, 11:23 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Serenidad, if it helps you understand yourself better that is ALL that matters. I have a degree is Human Biology with minor in Psychology and I can tell you that her analogy is really darn close to what is actually happening. The nomenclature is a little different with the science snobs, but IMO pretty spot on.
Old 06-30-2015, 03:11 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
Serenidad, if it helps you understand yourself better that is ALL that matters. I have a degree is Human Biology with minor in Psychology and I can tell you that her analogy is really darn close to what is actually happening. The nomenclature is a little different with the science snobs, but IMO pretty spot on.
Sorry, I don't mean to offend anyone in the medical field. I was just typing away mindlessly and lost myself for a moment.
Old 06-30-2015, 03:32 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Do your best

Your doing amazingly well Serenidad