Notices

5 days in. Anxiety and restlessness

Old 06-30-2015, 12:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

5 days in. Anxiety and restlessness

I'm 5 days in but that's just because I've had to work. Now with 4 days off I have no idea how I'm going to make it through them without a drink before I head back to work again. I've started an awful pattern of getting blasted alone whenever I have days off. Then I can't concentrate at work because I'm in a hungover fog for days and the cycle repeats itself. I've struggled with depression my whole life and alcoholism the past 5 years. I've reached the point where the two now fuel each other which seems like a hole that's impossible to get out of. I keep reading about how exercise is a great way to combat alcoholism. This seems so daunting at first, any tips on how to start? Does it help with cravings as well? This might seem like such a stupid question that warrants the answer "just go out and do it and find out". Any tips/stories from others that replaced booze with exercise and how they did it would be great. How long until you felt better, and the cravings for a drink were replaced with the need to go for a jog or something? Any tips at all actually, on how anyone made it through the first month. 5 days in and my anxiety is though the roof, and my depression makes things as simple as grocery shopping seem like an impossible chore. Having a drink is constantly on my mind. I've got no clue how I'm going to make it though the next four days without caving and buying that box of wine. My record is 12 days, I always seem to cave before that two week mark I hear about where it gets better. Any advice helps!
Old 06-30-2015, 12:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

The first tip I can give you is to join the Class of July support thread. You can post there daily, and especially when you need help staying sober.

Here's some tips on dealing with cravings:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

Exercise can help - especially with anxiety - but exercise alone wasn't enough to keep me sober.

Making and using a recovery plan is pretty important. There's lots on info on that here

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

You can do this - if you don't want to drink, you don't have to
welcome to SR

D
Old 06-30-2015, 01:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, one day! As usual, Dee has great suggestions. One way to get some exercise easily is to go for a walk. It doesn't need to be a long one. There's lots of support here. Most of us go through the really tough craving phase and it takes determination and lots of support.
Old 06-30-2015, 02:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Re-Member

It starts by not taking that first drink no matter what. As long as you don't take that first drink, you can't take the second or third or ninth drink that will almost invariably follow if you're an alcoholic like me.

If you feel the urge to drink, post on these boards. Over and over and over again if necessary. Ask for help here, help others by welcoming them to here. Non SR activities that might work for you: Exercise, eat ice cream, play a video game, go to a movie, go to an AA or other recovery meeting, go to a counselor, go to church, go to rehab, call a helpline, walk the dog, volunteer at the soup kitchen, clean your house top to bottom, read a book, write a poem, learn how to play guitar, call and check in with your great-great-great aunt Martha who is 90 years old and lives 300 miles away, basically do anything except take that first drink. The cravings will subside with time but they're more likely to do so if you are being active in your recovery.

Alcohol is a depressant and does not make your depression any better and, in fact, probably makes it worse despite the lies your addiction is telling yourself.

Wishing you the best and welcome to SR, onedayatatime26! You can do this. If I can do this, anyone can! Check in often please and congrats on day 5 and on making a decision to live a better life.
Old 06-30-2015, 04:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome.

Most of us when first getting sober want everything NOW, I did also and was informed that recovery is usually not as fast as we want it. It took awhile to get to this point and depending on the individual it’s not a fast track back, that’s why one day at a time in a row is so often advised.
One option if stopping is very difficult is a detox and perhaps a rehab to help get past the wildness of the beginning.

I and millions got involved in the AA program with many totally satisfied with the results, for example being comfortable in our skin. It happens by people helping people who understand and pass along tips for the questions you ask. For instance: stop thinking about drinking, think about not drinking, like a favorite thing to do or see.

This site is also helpful along with some other programs.
Whatever is chosen continuation with working any program is almost mandatory because of relapsing which marks the end for far too many.

BE WELL
Old 06-30-2015, 10:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!
Old 06-30-2015, 10:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! I've got a lot of free time on my hands today but I'm gonna use every ounce of strength to avoid going to buy that box of wine. Going to start the day with a walk like Saskia suggested and then just try to keep busy! I know the hangover and guilt tomorrow wouldn't be worth being drunk today....I just hope I'm strong enough to keep that mindset all day
Old 06-30-2015, 10:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You are strong enough.

Faith.

Believe.

One day at a time. Go to bed sober tonight. Nice clean, cool sheets, wake up tomorrow and do it again.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I agree with Bimini: you are strong enough,. Once you stick with this past your comfort zone you will feel the strength and the true you emerging, tentatively. It is the greatest feeling ever!
I'm approaching two weeks tomorrow and have relied upon lots of walking. My trigger has always been the end of work and long drive home. I've replaced that drinking time with a long walk at the end of the work day followed by gardening the instant I get home. It's good for the body and a great vehicle to kill those dangerous hours.
All the best to you.
D
Old 06-30-2015, 11:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hmm, something I think I can help you with here as I actually do have some pretty extensive experience regarding your OP. First, the anxiety and cravings are perfectly normal, no way around them, only way is to go through them. Follow's Dee's link on coping with cravings etc...
Now for the exercise, it is always my "go to". I believe it helps tremendously for a few different reasons:
1. Its kills time and takes your focus off getting that drink.
2. the endorphin release provides its own natural high.
3. Increases appetite, a full stomach suppresses the urge to bloat yourself with alcohol booze. and you don't get that "punch in the face buzz" you do when your stomach is empty.
4. This is mental, but when you invest a tremendous amount of effort in exercising, pushing yourself (safely at first) hard enough to physically tax your body, the thought of destroying all that effort by rewarding yourself with poison makes no sense.
5. Your body is like a sponge after exercise, it needs to replace everything it spent while exercising. So you need to rehydrate, load up on a balance of protein and carbohydrates, and vitamins, minerals and electrolytes. This window of opportunity lasts from about 20 minutes to an hour post exercise. This window of opportunity also includes alcohol. So drinking alcohol as a reward after strenuous exercise will provide you with a helluva a buzz, but you WILL pay for it the next day, but you did not replace anything of value to your body. Therefore, exercise will be the last thing you want to do. You will want to drink so feel better, not exercise.
6. Number 6 applies to me, but not necessarily for you or anyone else, it IS A GREAT DETERRENT. When I'm in my exercise routine, drinking is off the table, no questions asked. But my routine is inconsistent because of my line of work. Can't exercise in summer, but can exercise all winter long...and do.
Old 06-30-2015, 12:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey One Day at a time,

I am right there with you. I am on day 4. I have so much anxiety and stress. All I can do is take it minute by minute. I have been thinking about my life and relationships with people are never going to change if I don't change them. Believe me I have wanted that drink. Think past the buzz and on to the horrible day you will have tomorrow being hungover. Btw its great that you made it to day 12 once. I have never made it that long! We can do this together.
Old 06-30-2015, 12:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR.

I totally relate to the drinking alone bit...That was my dangerous time as well...Day/Time off...

Anyways, what really helped me was becoming Active in recovery...And it wasn't easy at all at first.

I went to AA meetings i didn't want to go...I got a sponsor and called him...Every day...(I still do! I'm coming up on 6 months sober...And well wouldn't be here if not for his assistance/help with the steps of recovery.)

I make a dedicated effort to sleep/eat/drink water etc...On a REGULAR basis. Diet and a score of other things went out the window when i was drinking.

They are important to me once again. SR has helped play a key role as well.

Don't believe you are alone in this struggle. And don't believe you can't do anything about it.

Whenever depression/anxiety etc...Rears it's head at you...Telling you a drink will make it better DON'T believe it.

That's where coming here...Calling someone etc...Has saved me MULTIPLE times now.

You don't HAVE to drink. None of us do.

Again welcome to SR and Good Luck.
Old 06-30-2015, 02:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome ODAAT
Old 06-30-2015, 02:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm amazed at how much this site really helps. Knowing that so many people know exactly how this feels and how hard it is. I just went for a walk and it DID help....but I still have the rest of the day. I'll go get my car washed to kill time now. ANYTHING to kill time.

SweetBaby...we can do it! Hang in there!
Old 06-30-2015, 05:45 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Onedayatatime26, 5 days in is FANTASTIC, congratulations. Most everyone here suffered like you are now, I certainly did. On July 10th I'll be 5 years sober, still get anxious and confused but not about drinking. Rootin for ya.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:47 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

come on over to the chat room for a online meeting.

It may help get your mind off it.

DD
Old 06-30-2015, 05:55 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

This site definitely helps ........ Plus I got some meds off my doctor for depression and that seems to have definitely helped me.