OT: rear-end collision

Old 06-29-2015, 11:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT: rear-end collision

I was stopped at a red light last Wednesday when a car behind hit me hard. Very minor damage to my car, but I'm very sore. I hurt all over, but the worse right now is the back of my neck and up through my head. Hard time processing and focusing since the collision.

I went to an ER right after the accident report was taken care of. Chiropractic and doctor apps on Friday; another chiro appt today and brain mapping at another center. Ice helps a lot, plus doing other things for the pain and inflammation, yet my neck and head hurts worse than ever tonight.

Another appointment in the morning. I have to be back to work tomorrow afternoon. Modifying and shortening up my job in any way possible.

I'm miserable tonight and need sleep.

Prayers and any advice welcome. I plan to take it easy at work and rest as needed. Our youngest son is staying with his sister and her husband this week.
Old 06-30-2015, 12:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yikes, that sounds scary--the only advice I'd offer would be to contact your doc and tell him how bad you're feeling. Those appointments for imaging and further care might have to happen a lot sooner than Friday!

Please do reach out to your healthcare provider, and take a friend to be an advocate for you if possible. It's easier when you have someone else to add a voice, and especially if you're having trouble processing, etc.

Holding you in my thoughts, KTF. Keep us updated, OK?
Old 06-30-2015, 03:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I'm so sorry--back/neck pain is the WORST. Take good care of yourself and gentle hugs.
Old 06-30-2015, 03:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ouch! I'm so sorry that happened! Please take care of yourself and get to the doctor sooner if you need to. Healing thoughts headed your way!!!
Old 06-30-2015, 05:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear..... Take care of you! Ugh!!! Back pain is the worst! Hugs!!
Old 06-30-2015, 06:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you! I really appreciate it and am feeling less lonely.

My neck pain is less this morning; now the lower back is worse. I've been meditating to relax. Back to the big ice pack and all the other things I've been instructed to do. They are helping.

I went to both the chiropractor and my other doctor last Friday. I'm sorry about the poor wording! Went to chiro again yesterday; another appointment this morning... fourth appt this Thursday. Three per week for three weeks.

Went to the hot springs last night, but on my doctor's advice didn't do much warm, mostly cold sessions (like an ice bath) to calm down the inflammation.

I've been asking others to do even light lifting for me. Reaching out. Connecting. But what I think is connecting a lot with others is maybe minimal. I really appreciate the suggestions and am open/ looking to what else I can do in these areas.

I keep thinking I HAVE to be at my job. It's my third summer there, I know how things go, no one else is available, I need the income, etc.

How limiting that is that MY plan is the only one that will work! What I can't take care of, God can. Time to let go of how I think things should be and let God have this.

God, grant me the Serenity
to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

I've been focused too much on what I can't do. Time to get out my journal and list the many things I can do. I can breath, pray, go to the library for a good book to read, eat well.

And then there's this selfish me thing going on in my head, while someone in our family has started hospice care and has very little time left! I visited her last Thursday and wanted to yesterday, but wasn't able to. She's in another city and I don't know when I'll be able to see her again or how she'll be doing then. Time to make peace with this, and to let God guide me on what I can and cannot do.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ugh, I am so sorry. Unfortunately, that is how it works a lot of times, the pain gets worse for about a week after it happens. Glad you are getting the medical care you need.

Advise: Keep every doctor receipt and time that you went, including your time and your mileage as their insurance should pay you for this and will ask for it eventually. (I work in the insurance field).

Tight hugs to you, I hope you feel better very soon!
Old 06-30-2015, 07:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sounds like whiplash. Are you taking NSAIDS as well as the cold therapy etc?
Old 06-30-2015, 07:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm NOT litigious, however, when I was 35 ( I'm 62now) I was in much the same position. Rear ended at a stopsign. Call an atty and reserve the right to sue for damages. They can be long term, even from a seemingly minor accident. I still have times when my body reacts to that accident. I did physical therapy for a few months, but my neck/shoulders still get sore and my lower back has paid for that stiffness. Protect yourself. Again, I'm not suit-happy, so that really wasn't something I wanted to do, but was glad it did.

Last edited by Sotiredofitall; 06-30-2015 at 07:24 AM. Reason: missed word changes meaning
Old 06-30-2015, 08:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The one time I was in a car accident, I have to tell you it took about two weeks for the stiffness in the muscles to wear off. I hope that's all it is, muscle pain. It sounds like you've taken the precautions necessary, both going to the ER and a chiropractor -- as long as there's no skeletal damage, you should be getting better and better.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sending prayers - and chiming in on neck injury damage 2 decades later. Listen to the chiro, take the muscle relaxers, do the exercises - all that. I'm not quite 40 and my upper spine looks late 50's in xrays!
Old 07-07-2015, 07:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you all very much!

Continuing with the chiropractic treatments, have the results of the brain mapping and starting treatments at that center. When I walking in the doctor said, "No wonder you're having a hard time!" My brain needs help as much as my body, and I'm getting that. So very glad for this forum and Alanon for teaching me new actions and how to reach out for help.

4 hours a day driving 4x a week to get to the doctors is hard, but I'm making it to appointments and meetings, and over-all it's good for me to be working. It gives me something productive to do in a fairly relaxing atmosphere. I've had to modify some things, not do all I'm used to doing and I keep forgetting things that should be second nature to me! Small things. Nothing critical, but frustrating.

Today I really didn't know if I'd make it through and am thinking of calling someone to see if they would be able to fill in if I can't work in the near future. I also prayed, gave it up to God and made it through with high praises today. It was Him more than me.

I know the therapies are helping, but they also are hard. Different chiropractor yesterday (same office) and it was exhausting going through a simple assessment of how my muscles are. It was really good seeing all that IS working well. Holding onto that thought and working towards full recovery!

Still vision blurriness and light sensitivity.

Appetite still isn't good. I've been gently active and still have gained weight. Hormones, adrenals and thyroid probably reacting to all this.

I am much farther ahead today than where I was a week ago, and am looking forward to what this next week will bring.

Great meetings today. (doctor's & Alanon)

Edit: it'd be a really good idea to have someone drive me. Maybe I need to pray on that.