Notices

Im a mess!!

Old 06-28-2015, 11:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Im a mess!!

Hi there, I am a newbie.
Ok so I have been drinking more than I can care to admit. That is part of my problem I drink and hide it from my family. I would rather just be left alone so I can drink. Friday I was completely out of control. I have decided to stop drinking on my own. No one can help me because they don't realize how much I have been drinking.

I am feeling pretty crazy right now. All day yesterday I was shaking and anxious. My skin is completely crawling at times. My heart is racing. I tried to tell my husband but he just said you are mess!

It would be so much easier just to take a drink and get through this. However I really think I am killing myself. Any advice?
Old 06-28-2015, 11:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR..Sweetbaby.. You have come to the right place. You will get lots of advice and support here.. Initial stage can be hard.. The withdrawal symptoms, make it more difficult.. It will be a good idea to consult your doctor and tell him about your plan to quit alcohol.. He/She will give you some medicines to make the detoxification safer and withdrawal symptoms , less painful.. Keep reading and posting on SR... Drink lots of water and fluid..All the best.. We all pray for you..
Old 06-28-2015, 11:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!
Old 06-28-2015, 11:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

It's always a good idea to talk to your dr before you decide to stop drinking. Detoxing from alcohol can be dangerous.

I'm glad you have decided to live a sober life.
Old 06-28-2015, 12:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Hi SB.......glad you are here, just take it a day at a time & know you are not alone in this.This is a great place for support & encouragement. Your decision to quit drinking is a great one.
Old 06-28-2015, 01:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you for the kind words. I just wish I felt better. I can not make it to the doctor this week. As I have no child care for my kids.

Its very helpful to read all the post everyone has written. I am trying to stay strong. As it is getting to the time of day I normally drink.
Old 06-28-2015, 01:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome to SR SweetBaby youl find so much support here
Old 06-28-2015, 01:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good luck and stick with it, I have no room to chat cause I'm only on day 2 and feel bad also..one day at a time.
Old 06-28-2015, 01:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome, Sweetbaby! This place is a refuge from the mess. Love to see you here.
Old 06-28-2015, 02:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi SweetBaby - perhaps being honest with your husband about how much you drink will move him to support your decision to quit and get you some help.
Old 06-28-2015, 02:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes Girlie, He knows I drink. He just works a lot so he doesn't keep tabs on me. I am just worried because he is a bit judgemental sometimes. I am afraid he will take the how dare you stance. I don't know.
Old 06-28-2015, 03:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome SweetBaby. You found an encouraging place, where we all understand.

It's really helped me to be here. I felt all alone with the problem until I began to share with others who had been through the same challenge. Usually the non-alcoholics in our life have no clue what we go through, and it's hard to explain. Very glad you're here with us.
Old 06-28-2015, 03:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Sweetbaby, I don't mean to diminish your OP, but what you are experiencing is extremely common. Read here long enough and you will find hundreds of threads that start like yours, and just as many of people who successfully achieved sobriety. And you can too. Withdrawals are the worst, but drinking just prolongs the inevitable right? If you are worried and in a position to receive medical detox, I would take advantage of it (as others have said). Best of luck, keep us posted.
Old 06-28-2015, 03:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

We all had to go through that rough initial first week. Hang on. It will get better.

We're glad you found us - keep posting!
Old 06-28-2015, 03:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Mary2

I hide it too... Please stop as it gets worse n worse xxx
Old 06-28-2015, 04:00 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

some really glad advice here sweetbaby. I'm glad you found us - welcome

D
Old 06-28-2015, 08:44 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you all! I am finally feeling better. No more shaking for a few hours now.

I have tried to stop on my own before. I find that day 3 (tomorrow) is the hardest. I usually drink again on day 3. Im not sure if I should just take it easy at home or keep myself busy. I have had no energy the past two days. Just want it to not come up.

I have never gone to a meeting or anything. However I have read a lot on here today.
Old 06-28-2015, 08:58 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm glad you're feeling better, SweetBaby, and I'm also glad you found us.

A lot of people struggle with day 3, but you can do it. Remember that cravings will pass. Make sure you eat regularly, drink lots of water, and let yourself sleep when you're tired. Hit up these boards if you feel overwhelmed or want to chat. Distract yourself with little, fun things (I remember reading lots of books and magazines, eating tons of ice cream, and watching Law and Order). No matter what, don't pick up a drink, but if you're tempted, think it through to the end. You can make it to day four (and beyond)!
Old 06-28-2015, 09:52 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks Cathryn. I really want to kick this. I feel so weak. I really feel like I cant deal with anything right now. I guess I was so numb from alcohol I have no coping skills. I even have a little voice telling me already to get up and go to the store in the morning. I know I cant take the easy road. I can feel my body (pancreas and liver) is sore.

I feel as if I am giving up my life partner. I have other joys but I am so distracted with wanting this toxin. Ugghh!
Old 06-29-2015, 06:46 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hang in there, SweetBaby. You can do this.

You have way more coping skills than you realize--already, you're here, posting, and you're recognizing that nasty voice that tries to convince you to pursue the drink. You also recognize that you had a relationship with alcohol, albeit an unhealthy one. That's all good.

Cravings pass, but in the meantime, you can handle them by posting here, doing something that wouldn't support drinking (a walk/hike/nap), and acknowledging what will happen to you if you drink. Remember that the voice telling you to go to the store will just get stronger every time you appease it. It's not worth it. Engage in some positive self-talk--it always helps me to reframe my thoughts:

"I feel so weak" into "I may not be feeling my best right now, but I'm strong enough to have gotten through 2 days and I'm strong enough to keep going. I will feel better."

"I feel as though I'm giving up my life partner" into "I'm making the choice to end my relationship with alcohol as it is destroying my peace of mind and my health, and I deserve a better partner."

Hope you are having a good day!