Notices

Anxiety caused by long term drinking

Old 06-27-2015, 02:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anxiety caused by long term drinking

Hey everyone, day 5 for me. Managed 14 days a few weeks back then slipped up.

By the 14th day nearly all the anxiety had gone, any generalised anxiety (feeling of impending doom) was completely gone but still had minor social anxiety.

My anxiety started about two and a half years ago, never had it before in any such form. Ok, I was never a good public speaker but thats completely different to what I call anxiety.

Had been a heavy binge drinker with friends for years and one morning after a session I started to sober up and was in Costa grab a coffee, while waiting to pay I had this weird feeling of panic, I didn't have a panic attack, just went to the bathroom and tried to work out what was going wrong.

Later on the feeling went and carried on my day. Weekend later the same happened, this weird feeling of something not being correct, I wasn't worried of anything such as money or life.

Role on a few months and I didn't tell my future ex girlfriend nor my family until it got to the point where I had to tell someone as my career was starting to suffer (I was a pilot and became scared of heights!). I went to the doc, he didn't ask about my drinking, just said that as it being so long I would have to be put on SSRI's. He didn't ask about my binge drinking at all.

Took them for two weeks then through them away, woke up in the middle of night sweating and all kinds of horrible stuff.

So role on longer and I started to see the correlation between heavy drinking and anxiety next day. Give it a few days off and then no anxiety.

Things got worse and worse till last summer where I was drinking every night and was starting it hard to go into shops etc (again, never had any problem like this before).

Eventually sort help with my doc and said I know what the anxiety is caused by, drinking. I self medicated on it to stop the anxiety (works wonderers temporarily).

Now what id like to know from others that suffered alcohol induced anxiety is how long does the social anxiety to go away? Like I said before, two/three years ago I was fine in busy places, talking to multiple people at once, interviews etc.

This morning I have zero anxiety but I think if I was to go into a shop or something I would have the feeling.

Cheers
Old 06-27-2015, 04:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Wow, you sound just like me. After nearly 30 years of heavy drinking, my anxiety was off the charts. The most important thing is to stop drinking. My anxiety started to slowly improve right away, but it took a few months before I really started to see some major improvements. The big thing is learning how to deal with stress without resorting to alcohol. That is always a work in progress, but I'm certain that remaining sober has helped me improve my life in countless ways. I wish you well.
Old 06-27-2015, 05:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had anxiety all my life...but I can honestly say my anxiety is the least it's ever been now...it started to improve about 3 months in, hopscotch

Do you have any strategies to deal with anxiety?

D
Old 06-27-2015, 06:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I hear you. The anxiety i had was so horrible. It honestly felt like impending doom.
Old 06-27-2015, 06:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Drinking gave me anxiety too. It also made me more impatient and antisocial. Sometimes I would feel like my insides were shaking. Terrible what we do to ourselves and call it fun!
Old 06-27-2015, 06:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
zjw

I can relate. i had fears of the stupidist thigns that i never was afraid of before. At 4 years sober I still cant go down water slides with my kids the height going up terrifys me. now i've always been afraid of heights but i could easily brave some steps to go down some slides now its practically at the paralyzed and hyperventalating stage barely holding it together.

But i'm able to drive places now and not worry about a panic attack and flying off the road. I dont freak out in fear in public anymore etc..

I really think the worst of it was over in just a month or 2 the panic and such. Sure it still happens at that level but really not often. But i had very intense anxiety for basicly no reason for I bet 8 months or so.

Now I almost always have anxiety but its manageable and flares up and down etc.. But I had anxiety issues long before I started drinking.

Quiting drinking is really the only way to resolve it. I think part of my issue is lack of social skills that can lead to social anxiety. I dont really understand how other people tick in social situations very well so I tend to feel like the odd man out I'm also an introvert so this naturally will lead to a heightened level of anxiety for me.

I'll be going to an amusement park with the kids again soon I'm really curious to see if i've improved at all. rides I always found fun can bring on full panic now. I hope i've improved we'll see.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Like Dee, I've had anxiety problems all my life. Always used drugs or alcohol to deal with it. Sure, alcohol works great in the short-term, but it always makes things worse when you stop. It really doesn't make any sense to drink to deal with a problem, knowing you will feel even worse when you stop. For me, it's a lot easier to deal with the day to day anxiety than the horrible anxiety that drinking brings along with the other unimanagable things that happen with withdrawing. Maybe talking to your doctor about your anxiety problems might be a first start. Good luck. John
Old 06-27-2015, 09:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

About 90 days for me.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've always had high anxiety. I have felt that exercise helps with it a lot.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I also am a pilot and one of the reasons I finally quit drinking was because of the anxiety. Never had it before but was drinking a lot more, especially the last 4 years or so. I had a bad panic attack while flying last year and that's when I quit for the first time. Lasted 55 days and I was feeling much better but decided to drink again. Anxiety got worse and I had to put flying on hold which is my career. Well I quit for good 5 months ago, anxiety pretty much gone, back to flying full time. I did read some books on mindfulness and anxiety which helped too. However the biggest part was not drinking the poison. Wish you the best.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Adventurer

I also had awful anxiety that progressively got worse the longer my drinking problem continued. I have been sober for almost six months now and I will say the first month or two were the hardest. I was afraid of everything, driving, going shopping, airports, public places. It was brutal and at the point I am at now I still don't feel right but much better.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Hopscotch, my comment is probably of no help but I think what you mention may not be normal, but I don't think its abnormal either. After my horrendous binge a couple years ago, when coming out of it, I had that feeling of impending doom, small noises sending me a foot off of the bed, had to turn off my phone...just everything. It was overwhelming and scary. And I was, and am, on medication for anxiety (small dose). But I still experience it occasionally and its really a trip. Comes out of nowhere. The way I've dealt with it is to understand it's "fake". Its not real, there is no basis for it. It just happens. Mine lasts for like a minute, than I do something to distract myself and it disappears. I feel for ya, and can relate.
Old 06-29-2015, 08:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yes it's a viscous circle self medicating to ease anxiety which in the long run causes anxiety. I'm now anxious when opening my car door in case the alarm sounds. Sometimes the slightest noise I'm not expecting and I jump out of the chair.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:48 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

It typically takes me a 1-3 months sober for the anxiety to come back to normal. My main issue is talking to people and driving on busy streets. I avoid freeways and any place that there is not a shoulder or quick escape route. Staying off the drink definitely helps though.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:53 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I had horrible anxiety from drinking. Running simple errands, driving, any social interaction, flying was the worst! Mine got better within just a few weeks. It is still there, but nothing like it was. I've been sober just 64 days and I hear it takes a while. Exercise and diet are key for me. My doctor tried to prescribe me SSRI's and a sleeping aid too. I tossed the prescription and switched doctors..
Old 06-29-2015, 11:49 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks for the input everyone.

I also tend to get it slightly when excited about something also which I think is strange. My thinking is that its adrenalin related?
Old 06-29-2015, 12:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Definitely for me alcohol intensified my anxiety, I always thought alcohol controlled it, but like everything I've learnt about alcohol, it was doing me no favours.

After quitting alcohol my anxiety, not straight away, but after some time considerably reduced.

Though I can relate to adrenalin making me anxious sometimes, but I think we need to realise and learn to live with a certain amount of anxiety, feelings and emotions are healthy to feel, they are there for a reason, nerves, stress, anxiety, we're designed to live with small amounts of each for a reason, the trick is not turning to alcohol to escape from them, but instead feel and deal with them in healthier ways!!