Notices

Been away a while

Old 06-26-2015, 01:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Been away a while

And, yes I have been drinking again whilst I have been away. I want to stop for good now and I want to come back here to help me do it Addiction to alcohol is horrible. For people like me, moderation is a myth.

I have been drinking every day now for ten and a half years. Before that, I didn't drink for 14 years. During those 14 years, I didn't feel nauseous and have a headache every day, my legs didn't swell up, I slept better, I had more energy to do things, I had more money, I was thinner, and overall, I was much happier. I need to back there but am struggling to do it on my own.
Old 06-26-2015, 01:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Glad your here Bagda have you got a recovery plan to follow ?
Old 06-26-2015, 02:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Badga I am glad you are here. There is so much support here. You didn't drink for 14 years... I know you can do it again.
Old 06-26-2015, 02:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Glad you're back!

Good to hear you've done it before.. you know it's possible and you know how much better you feel without it. Get yourself a plan and start over!
Old 06-26-2015, 02:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Badga

do you have a plan?

D
Old 06-26-2015, 02:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome back. Do you have any support, other than SR? I saw an addiction counselor and she was very helpful.
Old 06-26-2015, 03:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome!!!

How did you wind up back in the dark cycle after 14 years?

What worked back then?

Why did it stop working?

What will you do now - to interrupt the cycle and make a shift?

You can embrace sobriety and be free of the mad, nauseated, swollen, shaking, shameful, anxious, vicious cycle!!! YOU CAN!!!

We are here for you.

Old 06-26-2015, 03:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks all - means a lot to know I am not alone.

In terms of a plan, I have decided to stop looking for extrinsic solutions - I am in the UK and have seen my GP who has sent me off to an addiction unit for counselling and prescribed medication. I have also tried herbal remedies and private counselling. No one and nothing is going to take this away for me and I now realise that I need to take control myself and stop excepting other people/things to do it for me.

It is good to be back here though.

Much love to you all xxx
Old 06-26-2015, 03:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

for me, a huge part of taking control was giving up control.

I would not have been where I am today with sobriety if I hadn't included counseling and AA and SR and other people's support in my recovery.

You're absolutely right; nobody's going to take it away FOR you. I'm just saying I'm sure that I would not have been able to do this without the help I got from others. I had to do the work. I had to do the daily decision-making. I had to make the changes. I had to let go of the old patterns. I had to come develop new ways of thinking, new habits, new responses to life.

But the people here, in AA, the words in the Big Book, my work with a therapist, my focus (EVERY DAY) on recovery through the stories and insights and lessons learned of others - that was where I learned what I needed and drew the energy and inspiration to do what I needed to do.

Old 06-26-2015, 04:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The last time I was on SR, reading posts on my iPad in bed every evening was extremely helpful. I felt part of a great community and not alone in this. Unfortunately, I stopped visiting SR. Obviously now, part of my plan has to be keeping in touch with the community on SR!
Old 06-26-2015, 05:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Wow, 14 years of sobriety and now 10+ years of drinking...if that doesn't convince us that alcohol is patient and relentless, I don't what will. Thank you for sharing this. It has got me thinking deep.