Is this considered emotional manipulation?

Old 06-25-2015, 10:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is this considered emotional manipulation?

Or am I overreacting?
I left my exbf a little over two months ago. I never accused him straight out of alcoholism but told him a number of times I was uncomfortable with his drinking. The last straw that caused the break up was when he told me he was going to the store at 11pm and hadn't come back at 1am. I took a cab home. Then when we were going to discuss the event he went to the bar first and I told him I wasn't discussing it while he was drunk.
Now the issue at hand...I had been on my way to recovery..therapy... Reading book after book...coda...alanon. He contacted me to see how I was. Then he asked if we could meet. I reluctantly agreed. Thirty minutes before our meeting I get a text "I'm unsure what meeting today is going to accomplish"
I'm instantly annoyed. I asked him why even contact me? His response is "I miss you but I don't miss where we were at" I informed him he created a lot of our problems. Then I told him unless he's made changes he can't contact me. His response "I'm on the path I'm just unsure anything would be different."
Why contact me if you're going to play games? I'm so infuriated now. He set me back so much with this. This seems like manipulation to me. Like he's trying to get me to beg for him?
Old 06-25-2015, 11:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yep. Classic. Jerking you around. Block, don't respond. (((hugs)))
Old 06-25-2015, 11:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have a BS decoder. I plugged these in and this is what I got:

"I'm unsure what meeting today is going to accomplish."

I assume you're still planning to talk about my drinking. I don't want to or plan to change anything about that, so our meeting will be a waste of your time. So I'd like to skip the meeting and just pretend this isn't a problem.

"I miss you but I don't miss where we were at."

I don't like accountability and responsibility, and I don't want to answer to you for my hurtful behavior or actions. If you can just let all that slide, I'd love to spend every day with you when I feel like it.
Old 06-25-2015, 11:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That bs decoder is amazing....
Old 06-25-2015, 12:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

LOL, Praying, you should patent that thing! And yes, Ap, he's jerking you around, plain and simple.
Old 06-25-2015, 12:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Praying--Can I have you as my decoder on a minute by minute basis! As I am trying to rewire my codependent self punishing needy brain, I am in need of an outside objective decoder before I ever respond to anything! or wait, would that just be similarly codependently unhealthy ?? see this is all new to me and really trying to understand and think differently as much as I can since my old ways seem to have many costs
Old 06-25-2015, 12:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the input. This forum has been extremely helpful for me.
Old 06-25-2015, 01:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Praying....ha! I call mine the alcoholic decoder but same nonetheless. You put in garbage and out comes the truth and yes, OP, totally typical of an alcoholic....in fact I've been told almost those exact things many times. Typical alkie BS.
Old 06-25-2015, 02:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Praying View Post
I have a BS decoder. I plugged these in and this is what I got:

"I'm unsure what meeting today is going to accomplish."

I assume you're still planning to talk about my drinking. I don't want to or plan to change anything about that, so our meeting will be a waste of your time. So I'd like to skip the meeting and just pretend this isn't a problem.

"I miss you but I don't miss where we were at."

I don't like accountability and responsibility, and I don't want to answer to you for my hurtful behavior or actions. If you can just let all that slide, I'd love to spend every day with you when I feel like it.

The BS decoder reminds me of a pre-digital version my paternal grandmother had over 40 years ago. It was a wooden block with a handle you would turn, that caused two cogs to travel back and forth within their respective tracks. On the bottom of the device, it was labeled as a "B.S. Grinder."
Old 06-25-2015, 03:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Testing the waters. Typical.
Old 06-25-2015, 05:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Eauchiche View Post
The BS decoder reminds me of a pre-digital version my paternal grandmother had over 40 years ago. It was a wooden block with a handle you would turn, that caused two cogs to travel back and forth within their respective tracks. On the bottom of the device, it was labeled as a "B.S. Grinder."
I actually have one of these! My great grandpa did woodworking and made it...but now I love it even more because of its name!

For the record, the BS decoder is strikingly similar to my alcoholic decoder, AND my narcissistic decoder. I might have gotten ripped off buying all three. Same product, different label?
Old 06-25-2015, 05:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Lord, it can't be easy living in their heads.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

He can only set you back if you let him. You have power over your life.

Originally Posted by Ap052183 View Post
That bs decoder is amazing....
Old 06-25-2015, 07:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

It is amazing how we all can relate. Testing the waters. Funny how when you are not in it anymore you can see it so clearly! When you are in it, you go through so much emotional turmoil, tug and pull....
Old 06-25-2015, 10:19 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Heard that all before. Mind games at their finest.
Old 06-26-2015, 01:42 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm sorry if this is inappropriate, but some of these responses literally made me laugh out loud a little bit. Of course the replies are all correct though! Can I get in line to borrow that decoder? Where do I take a number?!

Ap052183, I'm sorry you're going through this, and that you feel like this recent development set you back. I went through the exact same thing with my ex, several times over. Although it hurt like hell every time, each time also gave me a little more strength, and helped me get to the point where I was able to go no contact. And you will get there, too.
Old 06-26-2015, 04:02 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Bs decoder for-the-win 😁
Old 06-26-2015, 05:02 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

It's crazy to me how easily they can manipulate. They are two totally different people.