Should I or shouldn't I?

Old 06-24-2015, 12:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Should I or shouldn't I?

I called my local DV center. It's about 25 miles away from me. I told them I wanted to volunteer. It was late at night, so someone will call me tomorrow.

Should I try to do this? I don't work, may have to take a 40 hour course.

Getting nervous, don't know if I am good enough to do this. I only have a HS education.

Don't know, I am asking people who have read my threads, do you think I can do this?

I will appreciate any feedback. Don't know why I called.

(((((((((hugs))))))))
amy
Old 06-24-2015, 03:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes I think you can and should. This would be an excellent field for you to work in that may result in a paid position down the line if that's something you are interested in.

Go for it!
Old 06-24-2015, 05:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello Amy, I think you could be a valuable volunteer to them. Check it out and be open to other options besides the phone.
Old 06-24-2015, 06:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Amy! Yes, I agree! Go for it! As far as your High School degree? I, too, have a High School education and I make more money than some of my friends who have a college education. Never underestimate yourself! Good luck to you!
Old 06-24-2015, 06:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Definitely do it. I volunteered for similar organizations through college and law school, and it was a wonderful experience.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I definitely think you should. You have given solid advice to us here on the forum...I think it is a great idea...
Old 06-24-2015, 07:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My dear friend, I have 100% full faith you can do this. You went through so much, and you are such a caring person. I think the help you can give to others through your own experience and knowledge would be a blessing.

XXX
Old 06-24-2015, 08:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Absolutely, Amy! Go for it!
Old 06-24-2015, 08:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Amy I believe your experience and compassion would be invaluable to ANY volunteer organization...but especially in this field. You're an inspiration for reaching out.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am not familir with your threads but I had the same thinking right before I started my internship at a DV center.
I was not alone, a lot of us were survivors a lot of us did not think we were far enough in our healing to help others.
At my DV center they gave us an option, if for any reason you could no t finish your year long commitment- you could put it on hold until better timing.
Yes, I did find certain things triggering, bt it was also the most rewarding thing I have ever done. I even found out at the very end, that my supervisor had ptsd also. I would have never guessed. She seemed so "normal". it just goes to show, we never really know what others are going through etc.
when is the next time they are doing the training? If you do not sign up for this training maybe they have another one starting soon?
I always felt like being a survivor myself made me more empathetic then some of the other volunteers who may have been better at the actual paper work or things like that. It showed that I was capable of a lot more then I thought
Old 06-24-2015, 10:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Getting nervous, don't know if I am good enough to do this. I only have a HS education.
If this is your only hang up about it, I'd say some recovery work needs done on your self confidence!

You have SO MUCH experience, empathy and wisdom to give someone going through that that I think it would be a crime if you DIDN'T!

You have so much to offer - plus - the value of service is priceless.

My only thought it to take care of yourself - it takes a very special person to be able to help people through those kinds of things and still take care of yourself emotionally. My sister works in a nursing home. I don't know how she does it - y'all are much better women than I! THANK YOU for helping people that really need it.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I think you should not only do it Amy, but that
you will be really really good at it and a fine addition
to their organization.

You are compassionate, articulate, and have been there.
What more could they ask for?
You go girl
Old 06-24-2015, 11:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Baby Steps

Amy I think you would be great you don't need a college education to volunteer and give something back.

One thing I know is that when someone is in crisis or talking about something personal it's better to be talking to someone who has experience than someone who's just read about it. Well for me anyway. You will receive training which will help you feel more confident.

I think your personal experience will be invaluable to what you can offer women who have been through what you've been through

Good for you Amy this will help you feel more confident in yourself. Proud of you ((((hugs))))
Old 06-24-2015, 11:11 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

ABSOLUTELY!!!

I think this sounds like a perfect opportunity for you. If you decide it's not for you, you can always stop. But it might just be the best experience in the world. I have no doubt you can do it if you want to.

I know quite a few people with masters degrees who I wouldn't trust my dog with. That means nothing. You have everything it takes, and I smile thinking about how many more people you would impact.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:46 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

YES! Please do! From your participation in the forums at SR, it is clear you have a remarkable ability to turn your experiences and empathy into the kind of guidance from which someone in need will benefit. (I know I do--benefit from your contributions to the conversations here .) I think it is a wonderful idea for you to now turn your head, heart, and hands to those in your community.
Old 06-24-2015, 12:35 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I think life experience can be more beneficial than a 2 or 4 year college. I think your compassion could only benefit those also affected by DV with your help and personal experience.

That being said, I know the shelters and programs in my area are very particular on who they choose as volunteers. One woman I knew attempted to volunteer in her first year away from a DV relationship and they felt she didn’t have enough time to fully process and heal from her own situation yet. She attempted to volunteer several years later and there seemed to be a long waiting list. Too many volunteers to a limited number of positons.
Old 06-24-2015, 12:54 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Amy, I don't know you. But, if you are drawn to this work go for it. As Someone has worked in DV before your education has no bearing on how good you will be in the role. It's about your experience and your heart.
Old 06-24-2015, 05:28 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Ask yourself this:
Do you WANT to do this?
If you answer yes then I say go for it.
I think given your history you would have the knowledge to benefit many others.
I always think that if we can help just one person then it's all worthwhile.
Good luck.
Old 06-24-2015, 06:03 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I did get a call back from DV today. They have many volunteers mostly because there are colleges in that area. They teamed up with the school. I guess it's with people working for a degree in social services. It helps there grade, and it's good to put down on a resume.

I was asked if I wanted to help out with fundraising. Said I would gladly help out with charity events, but I can't go to stores asking for things. So I may be able to do that.

I talked to her for a long time. She said, we really don't do this, but would you be willing to go to the group support meetings. She said that after talking to me that she feels that I can help getting people to talk. Guess that would be something like a DV therapist assistant type thing, but I wouldn't need to take any courses. It would be just like if the room was getting quiet, I would start to talk about my experience, and hopefully that would open some people there up. Or that by listening to things that I am saying, they might be better able to identify things in their life, that they didn't know was abusive.

Don't know about either of these. Thinking about it.

((((((((((hugs))))))))))
amy

and thank you for the vote of confidence. I was really nervous about this, since I am almost 60. Haven't been in the work force for awhile.
Old 06-24-2015, 06:41 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

wow! I think you would be great! I know if I ever needed to go to one of the group meetings, I would open up more to a real empathetic person (like you!( rather than to a student who. although they might try really hard, would still be on the outside looking in. And trying to apply what they are learning... The woman you talked to deserves a star for recognizing your abilities and potential value in such a short time! Later, maybe, if you ever feel you want the "credentials" you can always try more classes, or whatever... Big hugs and best wishes!