Set Boundaries & Things are looking up

Old 06-22-2015, 11:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Set Boundaries & Things are looking up

So after a miserable vacation and making some very difficult decisions it seems hubby is finally on the road of recovery. I set some pretty strict boundaries and guidelines. He choose recovery rather than living on the street without his family. He's been going to a meeting every day. Getting up early to read the Bible with me. Meeting with someone once a week for counseling. Calling a friend every day to check in. This Sunday my daughter was sick so she couldn't go to church... he went without us and I watched online. I've gone by myself but he never has gone alone. Usually used the excuse to stay home. I have to say I'm very proud of him. The anger is going away. We've even had some stressful things come up with buying a house and my boss being difficult. He's been able to handle them without drinking or without chewing tobacco. I'm still a bit cautious of the floor dropping out again but very helpful that this is finally it.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am glad things are looking up! Cautious optimism..and keep taking care of you above all else!
Old 06-22-2015, 11:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Megsy...I am glad to hear that things are going much better, at this time.
That is great...of course!! One hopes that he continues his recovery for life.

It is equally important that you follow your own program, also. You will need to be prepared for anything that happens.
Especially with the upcoming birth.
It is so ironic that such an exciting and beautiful event can also be such a high stress time in the family.......

I don't mean to rain on your parade...Yes! enjoy the hell out of the good time...but, always have a plan B in your back pocket to slam into place at a moments notice........

dandylion
Old 06-22-2015, 01:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Just curious Megs. If you feel like sharing, what were the strict boundaries you presented to him?
Old 06-22-2015, 01:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

He was to go to an aa meeting every day. Meet with a counselor once a week. Call a friend to check that I could check on. If I chose to check him with a breathalyzer he couldn't refuse. Go to church Sundays and Wednesdays. I said it was ok to not go to a meeting on the days he goes to church. He actually still went to both. If he stepped out of line even once with one of these he was out of the house with nothing. I was originally going to take him to the hospital straight from the airport after vacation but he detoxed while we were there and I knew he didn't need the hospital at that point. If I even suspect he's drinking again, I will test him... if he refuses, he's out... if he registers, he's out. I will not live in fear of him drinking again. It's a fact, he cannot live with us if he drinks. He knows this and doesn't want to be in that place. He said he saw the look on my face and knew he couldn't talk his way out and that I would stand firm on kicking him out of the house if he didn't stop drinking. I had every intention of calling the cops if I needed to and getting a restraining order. I was and am willing to do whatever I need to to protect me, my daughter and my unborn child.