Right Dream/Wrong Guy

Old 06-21-2015, 11:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Right Dream/Wrong Guy

I've been divorced for a long time and was reintroduced to a man that I grew up with and we started to date and fell in love. I finally broke out of denial about his serious issues around alcohol. He got into counseling about the alcoholism but never bought into the 12 steps or AA. It's helped but he continues to hide his drinking and recently told me that he drinks the most at home and around me. Isn't that blame? He wants to "make a plan" about me moving in with him and I told him that I can't make a plan with him when he blames me for his drinking and his career is on shakey ground. I read once that the lesson hasn't been learned until you can walk away in peace. I really wanted this relationship to work but it's just not possible. Sometimes love just isn't enough for addicts. Thanks for listening.
Old 06-21-2015, 11:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

No. Love isn't enough. If it was I never would have become an alcoholic. I am sorry you are having this problem. AA isn't the only program but he just doesn't seem interested. He drinks at home and around you because it's safe and he is hiding it from the world. It isn't your fault.
Old 06-21-2015, 12:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A work in progress

He MIGHT drink more around you. That doesn't make it your fault. Either way, though, sounds like a good move to step AWAY from the alcoholic.
Old 06-21-2015, 06:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Love is NEVER enough.
If it were, none of us would be here.
Wise decision to release that particular fish back into the sea.