So now I'm the mean one....

Old 06-21-2015, 11:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So now I'm the mean one....

Hello everyone. I hope you're having a nice day. Maybe today (father's day) is not an easy day for a lot of people in here, and I can honestly say that it isn't for me.
My A father has never been a real father to me. He's been more like a younger sibling or something.
He has emotionally and economically abused us (mom, brother and I) for my whole life and yet, I give him a present and a hug every year on father's day.
... I just don't feel like doing it this year. What do you suggest?

In another news, yesterday I hung out with mom and left my cellphone at home. It was nice. We went to a restaurant and she said she was still worried about me wanting to be with exabf. She said that my father and him we're very similar, and that exabf was even worse. It made me think a lot because is true... And, if I ever have children, I do not want them to feel responsible for their father's inability to, well, be a real dad.

After that, mom left me at a friend's birthday party and, guess who was there? Yes.... Exabf...
My heart felt scared. I felt scared.

He just basically got near me and said out loud that maybe I was beautiful but that I was a mean person and he would never ever remember me with joy... I ignored it and immediately asked one of my friends to take me home as I didn't expected him to be there (well, it was a bar, but still, no one told me he was going to be there)...

As I arrived home my friend left and apologized for the whole thing.

I didn't wanted to tell mom about this. What he told me was a great food for thought...
I felt like... Wait... So now that I'm no longer your doormat I'm a mean person...? Of course he feels that way. I was his doormat for two years. I believed everything he said. I forgave his insults, his abuse. I took h I m back many times. Of course I have to be mean and horrible now that I called him on his behavior...

It was just so ridiculous.
I felt like "wait... you're the one who's handsome but very mean". lol

If you ask me... I felt scared to see him. I didn't felt the "thing" you feel when you see someone you like or love... I felt scared.
But after his words... I felt pity.
He is like a child. Just like my father....
Old 06-21-2015, 11:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I grew to feel that way about my A 'father' on Fathers Day. So I just stopped buying him a card and gift. Didn't feel like I was being true to myself giving him a card saying what a great dad he was, because he wasn't!
Old 06-21-2015, 12:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I'm sorry about your dad, and I'm sorry you had to run into the ex, except that it seems you are starting to see him for who he is.

Now, stop beating yourself up for being bamboozled by him. You aren't the first person to be taken in by someone unworthy of your love and emotional energy, and you won't be the last. Think of this as a very painful but VERY valuable lesson.
Old 06-21-2015, 04:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I guess the feelings are mutual then. It is not like you are going to remember him with joy either.

There actually should be an equation for their "feelings." The more distant you are and the less they can control you or affect you, the "meaner" you are. Some instead of "mean" use the B word.

But, it's ok. It is to be expected. That is how their minds work. And you are doing exceptionally well.
Old 06-21-2015, 05:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by healthyagain View Post
I guess the feelings are mutual then. It is not like you are going to remember him with joy either.

There actually should be an equation for their "feelings." The more distant you are and the less they can control you or affect you, the "meaner" you are. Some instead of "mean" use the B word.

But, it's ok. It is to be expected. That is how their minds work. And you are doing exceptionally well.
Thank you, healthyagain! I'm actually surprised that he didn't say no one is going to love me. He used a phrase similar to that one once, when we were still together.

It sucks to know that I forgave all of that. But at least I'm not there anymore, I guess.
Old 06-21-2015, 09:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm glad you removed yourself from that situation because he was being abusive and manipulative in saying those things to you. Seeing if he could provoke a response and exercise some control over you.

If nothing else, at least it's confirmed that he hasn't changed!
Old 06-22-2015, 04:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm very glad you left.

I know it shouldn't matter, but know that no one buys his bull either. So he thinks you were mean? Sounds like a very immature comment that should have been followed by "mommy I hate you".
Old 06-22-2015, 11:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by maybear View Post
I'm glad you removed yourself from that situation because he was being abusive and manipulative in saying those things to you. Seeing if he could provoke a response and exercise some control over you.

If nothing else, at least it's confirmed that he hasn't changed!

I dunno, but it was very uncomfortable. I used to feel guilty every time he pushed this judgments onto me.
Now I don't because I am convinced that I tried everything I could so we could get along.

And yes, I guess he is still the same.. Thanks for your words, maybear.
Old 06-22-2015, 12:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by redatlanta View Post
I'm very glad you left.

I know it shouldn't matter, but know that no one buys his bull either. So he thinks you were mean? Sounds like a very immature comment that should have been followed by "mommy I hate you".

But he isn't a kid and he certainly can be intimidating...
Still, you're right. It was immature.
Thanks redatlanta!