Notices

Got lab results back

Old 06-19-2015, 03:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Got lab results back

After consuming 1000s of oz of vodka in a short period of time and being a massive drunk for 25 years or more I was concerned to say the least.They took 7 vials of blood.I was5 weeks sober at the time may 20 somthing.Well doctor sat me down and big smile on him,he was very surprised that all of the tests are perfectly normal.I was floored expecting something to be fkd up.Honestly first thought was wow I can drink again IN MODERATION yea that old gag.Feel like somebody is looking out for me.....another piece of the puzzle.honestly it is going to give me more confidence witch is bad if you know what I mean big tests coming up...friend from h,s coming for the weekend ..relandscaping the backyard.trigger.fire island,hamptons in 2 weeks...should be interesting
Old 06-19-2015, 03:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

a psychologist told me that of all the alcoholics that die, only 20% of them die of health related problems, the other 80% die from accidental death like care accidents, suicide, drowning, etc..
Old 06-19-2015, 04:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I mentioned another piece of the puzzle.I am just happy to be healthy.I have felt like dying on more than a few occasions when I was guzzeling vodka.No matter how you go in that state it wont be pretty.I like the dew on my feet as I check my garden at sunrise and not feeling like my head is a lemon drop
Old 06-19-2015, 05:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's not a free pass to drink in moderation (which for an alcoholic does not work).

Instead, it's a reprive from the hangman's noose. Alcoholism is progressive and it will win in the end.

Don't fool yourself.
Old 06-19-2015, 05:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

You can always back out of testing yourself until you feel stronger exwell.

I dunno, about you, but my addictive brain would take the fact I haven't done any lasting damage to myself...add the up coming social occasions... and it would be doing anticipatory backflips right about now.

D
Old 06-19-2015, 05:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think that the thing that helped me most in early recovery was avoiding any situations that I felt might trigger me (which was dang near everything ). Christmas dinners, grilling, certain music...anything. Gradually I eased back into certain things and some things just didn't have the same attraction after some sobriety. It was definitely worth it. Congrats on your blood tests. The body is an amazingly resilient thing.
Old 06-19-2015, 05:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
EndGame

We're alcoholics. Medical, professional, social and family consequences...each is only another delivery system for our reasons (rationalizations) to drink.

One guy in outpatient treatment, NYPD and only in his thirties, was told that he has liver damage, that he would likely need a transplant, and that he could die if he didn't stop drinking. His response was, "I might as well keep on drinking..." Another guy, similar to your situation, was told that everything was great after years of drinking. His response was, "I've got plenty of time before I do damage to my liver, and maybe it's even immune to alcohol, so I'm playing with "house money." I might as well keep on drinking."

The first guy stopped after the NYPD busted him for being drunk on the job, so he went for help. Otherwise, he was looking at losing his job and his pension while still having the financial responsibilities that come with a wife and children. No one knew what happened to the second guy.

This is a condition that kills people who are only more or less "innocent." It doesn't matter how we injure ourselves or others, make our lives miserable while we're drinking, or die as a result of drinking. It all ends in the same way.

Coming off a sterling medical assessment after years of drinking is no guarantee that any of us will then choose to stop. Your upcoming plans have drinking written all over them; you only need to know how to read.
Old 06-19-2015, 05:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Glad you got good test results back, and hope you'll put your recovery first over all those upcoming events. All those things can be rescheduled--changing your life for the better can't.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Adventurer

Ex well, my health is okay as well after years of abuse. I know going back down the drinking road will lead to nothing but misery. Please be careful.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have a whole lot of "not yet's." I'm not messing around anymore.
Old 06-19-2015, 07:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I had the same thing - got good labs after 3 months of sobriety - I know I can't go back no matter what my AV says - but yeah those thoughts try to sneek in don't they
Old 06-19-2015, 07:38 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Zee

In 2011 I was hospitalized with decompensated liver disease. I had ascites which is fluid in the stomach cavity, I had to get it drained (6.5 litres), edema in legs, muscle wasting and severe malnutrition. This happened very very quickly and I was seriously ill. I was there for 4 weeks. When I got out I needed a mobility scooter for several months as I also developed neuropathy and every step was like walking on glass. I have been sober since (erm, relapsed once because my lab results came back normal so I thought it would be OK... well, I AM an Alki!) I then thought... that's enough of this as I was starting to feel bad again. My lab results are fine now. But it could only take 1 drink for my liver to say 'no more!' We are all at risk of this. I will say it again... if you get ill, it happens very very quickly! It is what you call a wake up call. This site has kept me sober and am very grateful
Old 06-19-2015, 12:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

This is why I like coming back to this site everyone has walked the walk.The most I got out of rehab was from my chemical dep counselor,she was in my shoes years ago and man did I relate to her.The group stuff was mostly bs...for me anyway.Great posts I am hearing everyone of them and placing them in my mind.like a file...sounds messed up but that's it.I am not fooling myself because of a good med report....One of my doctors told me...you don't know how many benders you have left...that hit home.The misery is still fresh so I have that going for me...and im happy.The bordom or I miss the buzz bs is just that bs...then drink if that is the way you feel....is that harsh?I am not on a high horse I take everyday as a gift....If I can make it 60 something days and counting anyone can....thanks everyone.
Old 06-19-2015, 12:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

This comes up every now and again. Problem is from what I have seen each time you go through a binge you're holding a Russian roulette gun to your head. So far, the gun hasn't gone off.

The next bender might be the one that has the loaded bullet.
Old 06-19-2015, 12:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Health is something that can deteriorate quickly though, in my last year of drinking I was developing pains in my sides, acid reflux, throwing up in the mornings and worsening hangovers, whereas prior to that for years not even a niggle!!

I'd take it as a get out of jail free card, but the body is not eternally invincible!!
Old 06-19-2015, 12:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Do your best

Really good advice in this thread
Old 06-19-2015, 06:58 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I've read on this site where people say they have alot of benders left in them, they just don't know how many recoveries they have left, maybe none. Let that sink in for a bit. Kinda scary.