Notices

Newcomer wanting to recover from alcohol

Old 06-18-2015, 05:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newcomer wanting to recover from alcohol

I am not sure where to start or how much detail to go into for a introduction post but here goes...

I am 35 years old and was a moderate social drinker since my late teens, sometimes drinking too much but not really ever having any negative issues or symptoms of addiction.

The last 3 years of my life changed that, I start drinking daily many times to the point of blacking out. At one point I was probably blacking out 5 times a week. To give a brief overview of the last years:

-Started dating who I believed to be the love of my life
-My business was going very well, making a bunch of money, life was REALLY good and I was flying high. Was drinking with my GF fairly heavily but it was all fun and games.
-9 months into the relationship her 17yo daughter died in a car accident, I stuck around.
-1.5 years into the relationship we got engaged and bought a house where I lived with her and her still living daughter. Life was hard, but it was good.
-2 months after buying the house my client of 5 years decided to pull some very shady things on me with lawyers which included pulling an executed contract off the table and putting a stop payment on a very large check they owed me. I lost my business and alot of money while we were planning a wedding.
-I got a job, a good job so I was able to for the most part keep things together financially. I still have that job today.
-We we both complete drunks, fighting constantly, sometimes not even remembering what we faught about.
-We made it until last August when she left and took off her ring.
-I have been drinking very heavily and I am fearing for my health and I am hurting people around me. My work is suffering, the writing is on the wall where this is going to lead.

I need help, at this point I know that much.

Thank you for listening!
Old 06-18-2015, 05:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome, Lost!

You'll find many here with similar stories to tell. I'm glad you want to be sober. This is a welcoming forum and we share our stories, what works for us, our joys and sorrows, highs and lows. I hope you'll find as much help here as I have.
Old 06-18-2015, 05:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Lost:-)
Old 06-18-2015, 06:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you found us. Welcome!
Old 06-18-2015, 06:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Lost.

You have found a great place to learn about sobriety. I hope you read a lot and post ANY questions, feelings or comments that you have.
Old 06-18-2015, 06:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
kgr

Hi there! First of all welcome. I cannot provide any advice on sobriety because I Am only four days in, but I can tell you that everyone here is amazing, welcoming, and wanting to support you on your new journey!
Old 06-18-2015, 06:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Welcome, glad you're here.

What are your thoughts in terms of quitting and getting help?
Old 06-18-2015, 06:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Welcome to SR, LostInThisLife! There is a ton of great wisdom and support to be found here.

I highly suggest joining and actively participating in the Class of June 2015 thread found on this same forum. It's a great place to learn from and help others who are in early recovery.
Old 06-18-2015, 06:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am not exactly sure what my plan is right now and what help I am going to need. I know thus far quiting by myself hasn't worked, the most I have made it is 5 days sober only to go on a 2 to 3 day binge and start over. The cycle just keeps going.

I actually just posted in the Alcoholism forum asking for advice on putting together a recovery plan.

So as of right now I don't have much of any plan other than I know I can't drink. I know I need a plan though, that is where I am starting I guess.
Old 06-18-2015, 06:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

We're glad you joined us Lost. It helps so much to not be alone. Please know that we all understand what you're going through.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Lost - Here's a link put together by the fine folks here at SR - "What we did"
Looks like Anna gets a lot of credit for this and others I am sure.......

Tons of information and great starting points!
Glad you're here with us

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 06-19-2015, 07:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well......the plan is to stay sober ..... start w eating healthy, getting some exercise and getting enough good sleep..........sleep is the most important for my body. That gives you a good base to begin w. I got rid of almost all my friends because they weren't good for my sobriety. I also stopped going to bars a year and a half ago. Everyone is different ......it's where I start.
Old 06-19-2015, 08:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome Lost! Read and post often. SR has been a tremendous help for me. You will find a ton of advice and support here. We are all in this together.

Good luck on your journey.
Old 06-19-2015, 08:17 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. Many of us can understand and relate to what you are going through. I hope that you can find the strength to give up the fight and start living your life again. I can't begin to explain how much better I feel (emotionally and physically) now that I am sober. *It used to seem like the impossible to me because I was stuck in an endless cycle of quitting for about 3-5 years but I made it and so can you.
Old 06-19-2015, 08:28 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome lost!
My story is very similar to yours. Divorce, lost job, heavy drinking turned to all day heavy drinking. Starting with liquor in coffee.

What happens next, in case your curious, is absolute depression, avoidance of all the issues in your life, and wicked anxiety. Sprinkle in suicidal thoughts. Bankruptcy after failing or losing new job.

The issues we drown never go away, they grow in severity and spawn more problems.

I finally stopped drinking on 4/20. Started picking up the pieces of my crumbled life. I am 1000% sure if I was still drinking I would not be climbing out of the hole I dug. I am also sure I would end up in jail for drinking and driving as I was mixing drinks in my car as I work driving all day. I may have killed somebody. I may have or at some point, tried to kill myself. I may have or would have serious irreversible health conditions.

These events that have occurred to us make as stronger. As long as we deal with them correctly. Drinking them away obviously does not work.

So congrats to you for identifying the problem and congrats for taking the first steps!!
Old 06-19-2015, 08:46 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope the support here can help you get sober for good.
Old 06-19-2015, 12:22 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!
Old 06-19-2015, 04:19 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to Newcomers

that link flynbuy posted is a great jumping off point

D
Old 06-19-2015, 05:45 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Do your best