New to forums

Old 06-18-2015, 12:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to forums

Hi there!

Just joined the site yesterday. Although new to the forums I am anything but new to codependency and being a caring family member and significant other to addicts.

Both parents struggled.....
Mom passed in 2010 due to Pancreatic Cancer but she always had issues with alcohol.
Father is a recovered alcoholic of 21 years.
Current significant other at the moment is an active H user.

Was going to Naranon meetings for 3 years while living in Calgary, AB but haven't gone in over a year since moving back to Vancouver Island.
Have struggled with anxiety and depression due to the effects and consequences of his drug use. Now I have to take medication to function...WTH.

Anyways I'm moving in the direction of recovery again and have decided that the rest of 2015 is going to be about me! Time to stop the codependent dance, set some clear boundaries and start loving myself again.
Old 06-18-2015, 12:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

>>>>>>Time to stop the codependent dance, set some clear boundaries and start loving myself again.>>>>>>>>>

Clear concise decisive statement of fact spoken in the imperative.

We are in awe.....and the baton is passed to a worthy bearer.
Old 06-18-2015, 12:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SaintLover View Post
....I'm moving in the direction of recovery again and have decided that the rest of 2015 is going to be about me! Time to stop the codependent dance, set some clear boundaries and start loving myself again.
Yes, like Vale said, you have identified the issue. Now the hard part begins, where you actually have to start dealing with it. Took me about 2 years to get through the personal muck that I had ignored or had been in denial about, and to become my own person again, but I didn't find these forums until I was well into the process. It was definitely worth the effort -- there is happiness on the other side!

Have a good read around -- take a look at the stickies and some of the stories to see what other people go through. The details are different, but it's amazing how similar most of the stories play out.
Old 06-18-2015, 01:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

when we have to take drugs to deal with THEM taking drugs, then things are REALLY messed up!!!

good for you in staking your claim to the rest of this year (and of course all the years beyond) to being all about YOU.
Old 06-18-2015, 06:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Saintlover! Glad you joined up and posted.

I hope you find this place a great resource. All the best!
Old 06-18-2015, 06:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
Welcome to the Board.

You have had the gift of being greeted by both Vale and Anvil today. And while the former has a gift for endearing silliness and the latter can be a hardarse, they both know what they speak of. That said, this --

Anyways I'm moving in the direction of recovery again and have decided that the rest of 2015 is going to be about me! Time to stop the codependent dance, set some clear boundaries and start loving myself again.
-- is a clear statement of purpose and intent. Be aware that to get to that place will mean making some decisions you do not necessarily want to make, but have to.

Keep us posted, and again, Welcome to the Board.