Notices

This is awesome!

Old 06-17-2015, 05:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
<><

This is awesome!

So I found this forum through googling if recovering alcoholics should drink Kombucha and I've been here all afternoon! I am home sick today and have been a little discouraged because I *just* had the flu a little over a month ago and now have this horrible upper respiratory infection that feels like bronchitis..it's been getting me down this week because lately before this I've been so focused on eating right and taking care of myself. But finding this support forum here today has lifted my spirits! Since I chose sobriety I have been all about finding support and like-minded folks and I'm so glad this is here!

Long story short, I had been a pretty raging alcoholic for about 12 years off and on but the last half of those years mostly on.. And the last two years before I got sober it was really falling apart on me as I got deeper and deeper. 7 of those years I was also a mostly on heavy pot smoker. The last two years before getting sober were the worst as everything started to fall apart with my drinking. In Jan of this year I got a DUI with other charges after hitting someones mailbox. I had probably driven drunk at least 200 times before that I realized if not more. I found God works in mysterious ways as it took this to finally wake me up and get me sober and *alive* again. But I am honestly grateful as my life is finally improving for the first time in a long time.

The first couple months were the worst as I battled back and forth in my mind not only with intense cravings but if, after my year long mandatory diversion ended, would I drink again? I struggled with this a lot but also forced myself to start to deeply soul search about the effect alcohol has had on my life. At the request of my diversion program counselor I attended a Celebrate Recovery meeting, and after one meeting I just kept going. The fellowship with others in a support group environment helped me so much to see how I wasn't alone in this fight. I graduated from treatment diversion recently with a decision to make about my future and it seemed somehow very natural for me to choose sobriety. I never thought I'd ever say that.

I have 6 more months of having a blow and go in my car and random ua's from the county and I feel that is when my real test begins. Sobriety has forced me to change and it's all been for the better and I don't want to blow it after I'm "free". I have this tiny fear about relapse after this is all done and I don't want to forget where I came from. I think remaining involved in the recovery community is a huge way to help with this so here I am.

Thank you for having this great community here!
Old 06-17-2015, 05:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Welcome to SR, allmyfountains, and congrats on your decision to choose recovery. There is a ton of great wisdom and support to be found here. I hope you'll make yourself at home!
Old 06-17-2015, 05:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR allmyfountains

D
Old 06-17-2015, 06:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR.
So glad you found your way here.
It's an awesome site.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great to meet you allmyfountains. You are among friends who care.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Welcome to SR!
Old 06-17-2015, 06:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
<><

Thank you so much! This seems like a great community with so much good information and support, I love it. Maybe someone could help me out with this question.. I haven't found a true sponsor yet who is reliable, does anyone have any tips or advice? I feel like working the steps would be really good for me but am afraid to do inventories without a sponsor to depend on or ask questions about steps. I've been going to celebrate recovery meetings and have built up the start of a great accountability group but would love to get a good sponsor. I have to be honest that I do want to try AA meetings because I love the support group environment but am a little scared by them because of an experience a female friend of mine had with a guy at meetings who wouldn't leave her alone. I know that sounds silly but.. I would like to check one out still though, I'm sure they are perfectly safe and I might be able to find a good sponsor? But I thought I would ask here for any input. Thanks everyone
Old 06-17-2015, 06:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That's so awesome, allmyfountains!! Welcome!
Old 06-17-2015, 06:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome! You have made a great decision in choosing to live a sober life.
Old 06-18-2015, 10:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome All
Old 06-19-2015, 11:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!