Notices

beating myself up a bit over here...

Old 06-16-2015, 07:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

beating myself up a bit over here...

Last week I had the scare of my life... I had my first major binge in a long time and could have died... Had to take several days off work etc etc... Vowed never to drink again... Lasted two days.

Although I did not drink to quench a craving (I nursed a glass of wine for an entire night at a dinner party, and again at a birthday party, and started a glass on my own at home, which I then poured back in the bottle)...

I know it's all part of the same slippery slope. Next time maybe I wont pour the wine back in the bottle, or next time maybe I'll have a second glass of wine at the dinner party....
What I hope is that I'll do the opposite -- that next time I just won't pour the glass of wine at home, and maybe I'll have a tea and some extra dessert at the dinner party...

I just need some support getting from here to there right now, as it seems so small but so huge at the same time...

What has really helped me with the cravings is some natural stress busting stuff from the natural food store (has anyone tried passionflower?) .. Hopefully this continues to help!

Any support or kind words are welcome right now!
Old 06-16-2015, 07:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by usedtobepretty View Post
I nursed a glass of wine for an entire night at a dinner party, and again at a birthday party
Two days after a binge that nearly killed you and you are in a situation where alcohol is available?

Maybe start your change there and not put yourself in harms way...at least until you manage to acquire some solid recovery time.
Old 06-16-2015, 07:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Maybe not keep any alcohol in your home?
Old 06-16-2015, 07:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Formerly Ringthedoorbell

Usedtobepretty, maybe you should avoid being around others who are drinking for a while.
Just remember it's one day at a time.
When I get the urge to drink, I tell myself drink a diet coke and revisit that thought in an hour. I usually don't even think about it again. One hour, one day at a time.. You can do this.
I think reading and posting here at SR often is really a lifesaver. We are all in this together, and we lean on and support one another which is so helpful.
Best of luck to you on your road to sobriety.
Ring
Old 06-16-2015, 08:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree you should not keep alcohol in your house.

It's simple but not easy - don't drink today, no matter what. You can do that. When you get cravings do something to distract yourself. Go out for a walk/run, play with a pet, read a book, watch a movie, talk to a friend, whatever works for you. Figure out a plan that will work for you.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Passion flower sounds nice. I've never used it for cravings but in a natural sleep aid.
I'm glad you're back from your binge
Old 06-16-2015, 09:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I had to dump all of the wine I had in my fridge because I was afraid I would give in at the end of a difficult day. I am back after slipping for a while as well. I am at Day 29 today, and will keep plugging away one day at a time. Glad you are back!:-)
Old 06-16-2015, 09:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I agree with others here that you should not keep alcohol in the house, or even be around it for a while. I could never nurse a glass of wine... it was all or nothing for me. It does get better... just remember one day (or hour, or minute) at a time.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Great advice
Old 06-16-2015, 10:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

For me it was all about the decisions to keep me Sober, I needed to decide what activities to get involved in and what people to hang out with.

When it's life or death, serious decisions are needed to not be anywhere near alcohol until we strengthen those Sober muscles and then we can venture out.

Go at things again, change up your plan, you can do this!!
Old 06-16-2015, 10:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

If you are looking to stay sober, you've gotten some great advice. Dump the alcohol. Not back into the bottle, but down the drain.

A lot of people do what you did. Shattering bad binges. Life threatening consequences. Never again, ever. And then two days later pick up again. That wasn't so bad! I survived. I feel better. This time it will be different. And it never is except maybe those first few times. I've done that. A brief window where I could recover and nurse drinks before launching back full tilt. I had to dump the beer and wine, avoid social situations involving alcohol and focus on a plan to not only not drink but plans on how I would live and enjoy life without alcohol.

Make a plan and don't drink, no matter what.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'd say jump off the roller coaster of trying to figure it out. You had a scare and it can happen again at any time. First, get the booze out of the house. Buy yourself some indulgent teas so you can treat yourself in the evening. And don't drink.not evendors oNE glass...with each day, it will get easier.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

"Although I did not drink to quench a craving (I nursed a glass of wine for an entire night at a dinner party, and again at a birthday party, and started a glass on my own at home, which I then poured back in the bottle)..."

Something about the last 8 words strikes me. Idk. Maybe it's that it seems someone who truly wanted to stop drinking would have dumped it down the drain and got rid of all alcohol in their house?
Old 06-16-2015, 04:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
"Although I did not drink to quench a craving (I nursed a glass of wine for an entire night at a dinner party, and again at a birthday party, and started a glass on my own at home, which I then poured back in the bottle
Something about the last 8 words strikes me. Idk. Maybe it's that it seems someone who truly wanted to stop drinking would have dumped it down the drain and got rid of all alcohol in their house?
I know you're not meaning to come across as judgemental - but your way of showing that you want to stop drinking and mine are different... Yes there was still alcohol in my house... I am still scared to tell the people around me and the guests that come over that I'm not drinking so I kept a bottle... Apparently though... That means I have no desire to stop drinking. We are here to be supportive, not to condemn eachother or act self richeous if someone's journey isn't what we think it should be....
Old 06-16-2015, 04:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi used

Personally I think there's been some great advice here

The folks who've replied to you really know their stuff cos they've been exactly where you are and have gone on to have lasting recovery.

I had to change my entire life cos my entire life revolved around drinking.
I changed the people I hung out with and what I did for fun, I got rid of alcohol in my house, I told everyone it was a dry house from now on...and I was very cautious about what social invites I accepted.

All that was scary as anything - but I didn't want to die, Used.

There's no need to be a sad hermit tho - there's lots of things you can do sober - and I reckon if you tell a close friend or two they'll support you in what you're doing - if they don't, they're not your friend.

D
Old 06-16-2015, 05:20 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hello, Used... That sounds like a scary situation you have been through.

My 2c worth...

Always Remove the Hazard - Don't Manage the Risk.

If there is no booze in the house, you can't drink it.

I totally get how you feel about havng to explain to others why you are not drinking - but the fact of the matter is that you don't have to explain anything to anyone. It is perfectly acceptable to offer guests soft drinks, juices, tea or coffee if they visit. They will survive.

You may find your friends respect you for what you are doing - they ought to if they are true friends - you may even inspire them.

Take care of yourself. We care.

Last edited by nyala; 06-16-2015 at 05:22 PM. Reason: typose