Notices

Orange is the New Black

Old 06-14-2015, 02:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Orange is the New Black

Totally binged on season 3 OITNB this weekend, just wrapped it. Don't want to ruin it for anyone but, the final scene was very powerful and I saw a metaphor there due to what we all are going through. All I will say is breaking out, to see the light...whenever I watch any type of Prison Show I'm usually in tears lol yes I'm a crybaby. It started with Prison Break, then OITNB, and even Wentworth (mustsee if you haven't)...I just could relate so much to these characters who are being held down, locked up, and always scheming ways to either make their sentence easier or pretty much break the hell out. I'd like to think of being an addict as a prison sentence, maintaining sobriety as being free, and relapsing is kinda like being on house arrest...one thing we see on some of these shows is that when an inmate gets released into the world they are always confused, unsure of their next move in the beginning...with time they end up figuring it out and become a productive member of society. Some may go back to prison but there's always a chance they will get it right the second time around.

Addiction is just a thing. We can and will beat it. What's on the schedule for me tomorrow morning? Day 15.

Cyber hug to you all.
Old 06-14-2015, 03:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Fantastic post!! Great job on Day 15!!
Old 06-14-2015, 03:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That is so crazy that you mentioned Orange in Black. My sister recommended it to me last night, and so I wrote it down to order it!!!
Old 06-14-2015, 03:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey guys

My sole mission during early sobriety is conquer Netflix lol

OITNB is good, Wentworth is awesome, Z Nation is hilarious, Graceland is good, Grace and Frankie was surprisingly well done, Rescue me is a delight, and Rectify is also good.

For anyone who needs to take a vacay on Netflix's dime
Old 06-14-2015, 03:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The prison and sobriety analogy was a new one for me. Thanks

You can do this. Grab the beast by the horns, and give it your all! There is no do or do not in sobriety. So as Yoda would day, do.
Old 06-14-2015, 03:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes in prison someone is forced to deal with their problems/consequences of whatever led them there.

If I could paint a picture of my history with alcohol abuse, I'd be sitting in a cell behind bars.

Best way to think about it bc who the hell wants to spend their time/life in prison? No thanks.
Old 06-14-2015, 03:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

And the ironic thing is that the door to the cell is not even locked. All it takes is the will and courage to walk out to freedom.
Old 06-14-2015, 03:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Exactly. The key to freedom is in our head. Our AV is the warden...funny thing is you never see the warden but you know the warden is there.

Say goodbye.

(Don't mean to get carried away but thinking about it this way really puts things into perspective, turns my AV off.)
Old 06-14-2015, 05:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I love OITNB and the analogy...If you like the prison series check out OZ, It is great, HBO.
Old 06-14-2015, 06:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 15!

I completely agree with the oitnb analogy! A few episodes so far I have really related to. I have only binged half the season so far. I thought I would spread it out more this time...nope.

This really made me smile.

Thank you.
Old 06-14-2015, 06:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Was SO tempted to read this post... I just started the new season and am watching one a night after work but will probably binge 'em tomorrow when I finally have a day off! Yaaaaaay OITNB!
Old 06-14-2015, 06:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I love this post!

I finished the last episode last night.
Old 06-14-2015, 07:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yes, I saw the whole season last weekend. Great show.