Notices

Last night was tough...

Old 06-14-2015, 08:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Last night was tough...

But I came out on top!

I am 11 days in after slipping back for a couple weeks, and last night the AV was really hounding me. If I make it through this summer (and beyond of course), it will be the first summer I've made it throught without alchohol being a part of anything since I was probably 18 (now 28). And it is going to give me a run for my money, no doubt.

But last night I realized how my mindfulness practice and visualization techniques I've learned in counseling can really come in handy when it comes to silencing urges.

At one point it got really bad, I came on here for a bit. But it was still whispering in my ear like some manipulative seductress. So finally I just stopped and thought about the next morning (now). I visualized waking up, the sound of my fan, rays of morning sun piercing through my blinds, and having a headache, and that feeling that I still cannot put into words. You guys know what I mean, that "I feel like death" feeling. I imagined standing up and the headache starting to pound. I imagined how I wouldn't feel like doing my morning workout, how I wouldn't feel like doing anything. I imagined the immediate feeling of regret and self-loathing. I could almost feel it, as if my consciousness briefly traveled forward in time.

And I wanted no part of it.

And just like that, I became stronger. The impulse to grab a drink didn't leave right away, but my ability to ignore it grew immensely.

And here I am. Day 11. Victorious!
Old 06-14-2015, 08:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

congratulations mns1 from a former Philly guy! thinking about horrible hangovers and the physical benefits of being off alcohol is what is keeping me going these days....i'm just completing two weeks today, but feel great. i even went for a run this afternoon and hope to get into a routine of regular exercise.

good work on the being strong. would like get reconnected with mindful practices myself.
Old 06-14-2015, 08:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on finding a good way to silence the AV!
Old 06-14-2015, 08:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Thank you tranquilseeker and awesome job on two weeks! And good for you in trying to adopt a regular exercise routine. Exercise comes in many forms. Find the one you love and make it a habit!

And formal mindfulness practice had changed my life, almost given me my life back in a way. It requires daily practice and some diligence, but it pays off. And the more I work at it, the more benefits I see. It's awesome. So definitely go for it!
Old 06-14-2015, 09:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats Mns
Old 06-14-2015, 09:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you for getting through this. And, good work on your AV.
Old 06-14-2015, 09:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Formerly Ringthedoorbell

Originally Posted by mns1 View Post
But I came out on top!

I am 11 days in after slipping back for a couple weeks, and last night the AV was really hounding me. If I make it through this summer (and beyond of course), it will be the first summer I've made it throught without alchohol being a part of anything since I was probably 18 (now 28). And it is going to give me a run for my money, no doubt.

But last night I realized how my mindfulness practice and visualization techniques I've learned in counseling can really come in handy when it comes to silencing urges.

At one point it got really bad, I came on here for a bit. But it was still whispering in my ear like some manipulative seductress. So finally I just stopped and thought about the next morning (now). I visualized waking up, the sound of my fan, rays of morning sun piercing through my blinds, and having a headache, and that feeling that I still cannot put into words. You guys know what I mean, that "I feel like death" feeling. I imagined standing up and the headache starting to pound. I imagined how I wouldn't feel like doing my morning workout, how I wouldn't feel like doing anything. I imagined the immediate feeling of regret and self-loathing. I could almost feel it, as if my consciousness briefly traveled forward in time.

And I wanted no part of it.

And just like that, I became stronger. The impulse to grab a drink didn't leave right away, but my ability to ignore it grew immensely.

And here I am. Day 11. Victorious!
Wow, great post Mns1.
Hope I can be as strong as you are and get to day 11. I am starting day 7, but finding the going difficult at times. I will try to do what you did when the going gets tough for me, and think about how bad things will be the next morning.
Keep up the good work.
Ring
Old 06-14-2015, 10:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great post Mns1, I am on Day 27 today and last night was tough for me too, and thinking about this morning was the reason I stuck with water and diet Pepsi at a family party. I came close to ordering wine, but didn't, and I am very glad for that this morning. Next time, I am tempted, I am going to borrow your visualization, love how you thought it through, and I a, going to tuck it away in my toolbox.
Have a great Sunday's!
Old 06-14-2015, 10:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Nice job, my friend! I was tempted at a party last night too.....glad we're both sober and hangover-free this morning!
Old 06-14-2015, 10:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Thanks guys!

Ring, awesome work on getting to day 7. If I can pull this off anyone can. I know this saying is kind of corny, but when the going gets difficult is when we can really find out what we are capable of. And there is truth to that, because it's during those times that we need to exercise abilities that we don't normally have to because we are in our comfort zone, abilities we didn't even know we have. So no matter how scary it may seem, we have to try. So keep pushing!

Delilah, way to go on day 27! Visualization is a great tool to have. Defnitely utilize it. Keep grinding!

Brynn, way to power through the temptation. It really is great to wake up sober!
Old 06-14-2015, 10:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

11 Days is fantastic!! Keep it going!!