Notices

This was on my local news this morning. Terrifying reminder:

Old 06-14-2015, 06:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This was on my local news this morning. Terrifying reminder:

As a father of a 3 year old, this story really got to me AND reminded me why it is so important not to put alcohol in my body.

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Alcohol and speed contributed to a crash that killed a 3-year-old boy, said investigators from the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department.

Chantee Tranise Boyd, 26, was headed south on Billy Graham Parkway just before she wrecked early Sunday morning around midnight. Police said she lost control at Morris Field Drive while speeding, then veered off to the left side of the road and drove into a median.

Her vehicle spun into the northbound lanes as William Dublin, 40, was approaching. The back of Boyd's Honda hit Dublin's Lincoln head on before her car finally came to a rest on the right shoulder of northbound Billy Graham Parkway.

Boyd's 3-year-old son died at the scene. Her 7-year-old boy went to the CMC-Main with serious injuries. Paramedics took both Boyd and Dublin to the hospital, as well. Their injuries were considered minor.

Police arrested Boyd after treatment for felony death by vehicle, felony serious injury, child abuse, reckless driving and DWI.
Old 06-14-2015, 07:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I work in a HS. A few years ago a recent graduate who was a really nice kid and did well in school, killed someone driving with just a few beers in him. I'm pretty sure he's still in jail.
Old 06-14-2015, 07:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It truly is sad. My cousin was killed and her husband seriously injured a few years back due to a drunk driver. The drunk driver was a guy I had recently dated. It's a stark reminder that consuming alcohol and operating a vehicle do not mix, ever. You never know when that one time is going to be the one that takes or changes lives.
Old 06-14-2015, 08:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Only by the grace of God.......

These events are horrific and unfortunately all too frequent reminders of the devastation alcohol abuse causes.

I read recently auto makers will start putting an BAC interlock system of sorts in vehicles as an option soon. The US federal gov't will install in their cars as a test. These may be legislated as mandatory in all vehicles at some point......
Old 06-14-2015, 09:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Tragic news
Old 06-14-2015, 09:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This is a sad story all the way around, but what is worse, this woman not only lost one of her children at her own hand, but now she will spend time in jail or prison, and in all likelyhood lose the other child to CPS for a period of time. Tragic.
Old 06-14-2015, 09:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Flynbuy View Post
Only by the grace of God.......

These events are horrific and unfortunately all too frequent reminders of the devastation alcohol abuse causes.

I read recently auto makers will start putting an BAC interlock system of sorts in vehicles as an option soon. The US federal gov't will install in their cars as a test. These may be legislated as mandatory in all vehicles at some point......
I don't see them installing BAC interlock systems anytime soon because it will cause a massive loss of revenue for the state. Governments bring in a lot of cash from drunk driving cases. Sorry, don't mean to be a downer, but its true.
If they do install them, with all the electronics and technology they could very well be wireless connected to some "system" that will basically notify law enforcement that the driver behind the wheel is intoxicated, GPS will notify them of location and game over.

Some inventor awhile ago invented a device that would allow people to unlock their truck from the inside in case something horrible happened, for some reason it was shot down by legislation and I don't remember reason, but ultimately why would that not be a good idea?
Old 06-14-2015, 10:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Just horrific!! Very sad news!!
Old 06-14-2015, 11:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post

Some inventor awhile ago invented a device that would allow people to unlock their truck from the inside in case something horrible happened, for some reason it was shot down by legislation and I don't remember reason, but ultimately why would that not be a good idea?
Not sure what is means?????

Many states have mandatory interlock install after first DUI now. The state has no interest in whole slaughter by drunk drivers on the roads = ludicrous.

We many never see mandatory interlocks on all cars, I agree - just what's in the news.
Old 06-14-2015, 01:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Flynbuy View Post
Not sure what is means?????

Many states have mandatory interlock install after first DUI now. The state has no interest in whole slaughter by drunk drivers on the roads = ludicrous.

We many never see mandatory interlocks on all cars, I agree - just what's in the news.
My point about the trunk thing was that to me the idea makes complete sense, but somewhere along the line in the bureaucracy of government it got shot down. I'm sure it had to do with money, although I can't connect the dots on that one.

The interlock system also makes perfect sense to me, why not install it on all vehicles? I just don't think they will. That's really all I meant by that.
Old 06-14-2015, 01:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That's awful
Old 06-14-2015, 04:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
My point about the trunk thing was that to me the idea makes complete sense, but somewhere along the line in the bureaucracy of government it got shot down. I'm sure it had to do with money, although I can't connect the dots on that one.

The interlock system also makes perfect sense to me, why not install it on all vehicles? I just don't think they will. That's really all I meant by that.
Just FYI Thomas
Beginning in the 2002 model year, all cars began coming with a glow-in-the-dark release handle inside the trunk that allows people to escape from locked trunks. But many cars manufactured before that year still represent a risk.