Looking for volunteer opportunities in substance abuse field

Old 06-13-2015, 09:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Looking for volunteer opportunities in substance abuse field

I would like to volunteer my time in the substance abuse field but I'm not finding any opportunities on line. Am I looking in the wrong place? Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 06-14-2015, 04:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Because of the personal and privacy issues that must be respected, most rehabs don't have volunteers.

That said, there are many places you can help. If you go to 12 step meetings, maybe start one where one is needed and does not yet exist. Members from my 12 step group, when I lived in Toronto, often went to support new meetings just starting up in the suburbs or small towns just outside the city.

Soup kitchens always need help, as do food banks and charities that resell used clothing to support those in need.

I have volunteered off and on at a women's shelter. Many/most of the abused women have substance abuse in their lives. I sometimes led impromptu meetings, I sometimes entertained the children while the moms were in therapy or receiving help from social assistance to move forward. It is one of the most rewarding things I have ever done.

I hope you find something because so many places need people just like you to do what they cannot do alone.

Hugs