Notices

Day 436

Old 06-12-2015, 09:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 436

436 days in this sober life, it's not easy some days are much easier than others. Their are some of you who are way past my point and some of you who are just beginning. At 26 years old I look back on my life and remind myself how Fn stupid I was. DWI resisting arrest countless traffic violations tickets fines hard earned money spent on weed and booze and paying off fines. Probably didn't help either that my father hasn't been in the picture for over 12 years but hey wtf right? Anyways it feels pretty damn lonely and loser like these days. I'm happy I am but I just feel as if I've lost the aspect of having fun. I go to the gym 4 days a week and get my natural high that way. I got rid of social media almost a year ago to stop wasting my time on it of scrolling through drunks and people getting high and useless bull sh!t for hours on end each day to have friends who aren't probably even really a real friend. It's crazy how shallow the world is nowadays if you not on social media it's almost as if you don't exist. I dont know maybe I just need to go to a meeting or somewhere to meet people more like myself. I haven't been to one meeting in the last 436 days actually the last time I went was when I got my DWI and had to go court order probably over 6 years ago.

It's as if your not cool because you no longer drink or smoke so we can't hang out because that's all we did before. Now I'm just ranting, I like being sober and I'm doing my best to keep it that way. It just seems as if the world doesn't want you to be which is pretty messed up. I dont know its a crazy journey and I'm in for a much longer ride. Sometimes you just think so much your brain is scrambling to fight for time for sleeping instead of being up all night on your phone. Co workers talk next to me at work about going out for drinks after work and talking about what they like to order for drinks and where they like to go and who else they hang out with at work and I'm the odd man out because I don't drink. I guess secretly I like it that way to be by myself and time alone even though I do have a gf. When she's not home and I don't have work I'm at the gym or grocery store or doing laundry. Wow damn what a boring story this Fn is are you fed up yet with all this BS!

In closing I guess I just feel older than 26 nowadays as if I'm already in my 30s. Friends don't respond to my texts they get deleted from my phone I couldn't believe how many contacts I had that didn't give two Fs about me. Harsh reality it is! I hope everyone has a good weekend and a great summer keep on pushing.
Old 06-12-2015, 10:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Into the Void

Brad,

Congrats on the sober time. It sounds like you need to meet some new friends who are not former drinking buddies. Good luck.
Old 06-12-2015, 10:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Truth buddy! But hey, if they're lame, you don't need um as friends anyways. I can relate man. I was like amen brother, tell it like it is! Lol. Take care, keep up the good work.
Old 06-12-2015, 10:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Are you interested in any classes? Volunteering anywhere? Dance class, meditation groups, sports, learning a new hobby. There r lots of ways to make sober buddies and much to my surprise, the majority of people out there are not heavy drinkers like I assumed they all were. I just had to hang out in new places and slowly I starTed to make connections with people
Old 06-12-2015, 10:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on the sober time Brad

I really had to change my life - everyone in my life drank...but I reconnected with old friends who didn't, and made new sober friends

I also didn't have very much balance in my life either - it was work drink sleep.

Like others have said, carve out a little time for you and explore things you've always wanted to do, maybe?

D
Old 06-13-2015, 05:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes greens I've been thinking about doing a men's hockey league this fall I had arthroscopic ankle surgery 7 weeks ago and am not able to run just yet but have thought about that as well as basketball to, which their are indoor courts to go play at for 5$ a day or 15$ a month. Just trying to get my $ right after being out of work for the last 5 weeks from April 22nd-May 30th. I'm back now and am slowly building myself back up I guess that's part of the reason I'm frustrated as well. Having to start back from the bottom and earn my way back to living comfortably. I appreciate all the replies thanks for weighing in guys it means a lot this site is the only time I feel people actually listen and give 2 sh!ts well everybody have a nice day and take care.
Old 06-13-2015, 06:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Adventurer

I will say, I have felt how you feel and know where your coming from. It can get pretty lonely if we keep the same routines but just cut out drinking. Once you start to look though there are tons of people out there who don't let their world's revolve around booze.

I think lifestyle and support changes are as big if not a bigger deal in recovery as quitting itself. Very hard to do one without the other.

I wish you good luck and know there are plenty of people who have fun and don't drink.
Old 06-13-2015, 09:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Fantastic Brad!!
Old 06-13-2015, 04:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Way to go Brad