Notices

Reaching for your Top

Old 06-12-2015, 05:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Reaching for your Top

Lots of negative bottom talk on the forum recently, so I thought I'd post something different...

This morning I woke early so I went for a walk listening to the dawn chorus and seeing the beautiful red dawn glimmering like a jewel. My head was clear and I didn't feel sick.

Later in the day I called in to apply for some jobs. Dressed neatly without red rimmed eyes or that weird smell Alcoholics get.

After that I checked the forum, wrote part of a book (my thirteenth since giving up the drink ), chatted to my Parents, did some gardening, and there's still lots of day left.

Yeah, I'm reaching for my Top.

That's what you can do if you're Sober.

What have you done to reach for your Top this week?
Old 06-12-2015, 05:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Adventurer

I would say, not missing work anymore due to hangovers or being sick is right at the top.

I would also say being with my wife after work and not in a drunken stooper is also right at the top.
Old 06-12-2015, 05:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I used to get the deadliest hangovers (at the time I didn't know it was withdrawal) so everyday when I wake up not feeling sick is amazing. I feel on top and feel like I'm being the best version of myself!!!

Happy Friday everyone!!!

It's great to be alive!!!
Old 06-12-2015, 05:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Going to work feeling good is definitely nice. How I really know I'm reaching my top is when I wake up in the mornings and I am energetic and happy to see my son, talk to him, listen to all he has to say (he is 3 1/2 years old) and enjoy the morning with him before he goes to preschool. Also, Fridays are extra awesome b/c I do not work on Fridays and get to spend time with him and plan special things for us to do
Old 06-12-2015, 06:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Isn't it amazing how much you can accomplish in a day when you're sober?

And, not waking up each morning with bloodshot eyes and a throbbing head is a huge plus for me as well.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

"Reaching for your top." What a great expression. I have never heard that before. So much better than hitting bottom.....
Old 06-12-2015, 09:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I no longer cry on the way to work. I dont have the shakes as I'm trying to get ready for work. I dont feel like I'm going to throw up if I eat or even drink water. I can have a nice lunch instead of sleeping in my car for the lunch hour. I go home from work now and go for a run instead of doing happy hour. I can sortof look at myslef in the mirror now. I look forward to when I can like who I am. 5 days sober!
Old 06-12-2015, 07:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am enjoying my kids, and also watching Gray's Anatomy on Netflix. Love that I can watch entire series of shows I never watched while they were on. Netflix is my new binge addiction!
Old 06-12-2015, 10:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

What have I done to reach my top this week?
1. Came to SR each and every day
2. Met with my sponsor
3. Went to a meeting
4. Prayed
5. Went to work as scheduled
6. Was loving to my husband
Old 06-13-2015, 04:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Reaching for the top....

I love this!!!!

Every day, let us stretch, grow, reach for another new 'Top'.

Thank you.
Old 06-13-2015, 09:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That's a great phrase!!
Old 06-13-2015, 04:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good stuff Lighter
Old 06-13-2015, 04:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The high point of my day is walking my dogs. Now that I'm sober, they get a daily walk unless the weather is bad. When I was drinking I was either too drunk or too sick to walk them. Now I take great pleasure in giving them their walk.
Old 06-13-2015, 05:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
The high point of my day is walking my dogs. Now that I'm sober, they get a daily walk unless the weather is bad. When I was drinking I was either too drunk or too sick to walk them. Now I take great pleasure in giving them their walk.
I am also a better owner for my Labrador retriever. She gets much more retrieving and swimming time now that I don't drink.
Old 06-13-2015, 08:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Very inspiring post. I think you helped a lot of people today.

I have actually lived my life "by the book" this week. Not the AA, book, just the book of life.
Old 06-13-2015, 11:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you for this wonderful post.
I'm on my yearly vacation right now, enjoying
the sights and sounds of what's happening all around me.
I'm thankful just to have the chance to relax,
perhaps enjoy a nice meal or take a refreshing nap.
Vacations gone by were smeared, ruined, miserable
times of constant drinking and worrying about getting
my next 1.75 into the freezer.
Not this time.
I'm enjoying every second.
Old 06-14-2015, 06:07 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Great thread.

At 28 days in now I'm finding tangible pleasure and satisfaction from many little things that have collectively allowed me to embrace and enjoy an alcohol free life more and more every passing day. Of course there are unpleasant moments, cravings, mind games, etc at times but the little victories are adding up.

-I'm happy, alert, and mentally stable every time I wake up. Wut? Who is this guy?

-The productive times of the day have expanded from eyes open to eyes closed. I can do anything I want anytime i want. Especially driving. Gotta pick up a kid @ 11pm? No problem I got this.

-Enjoy the sunset while getting exercise while riding a bike? No problem. Phone call from family at 9pm? Pick up and talk instead of mute and forget.

-Leave at midnight for an overnight drive to miss the nasty interstate traffic? Yep, I got this.

-Want to stay up late and still get up early? Easy peasy. Can't wait till NFL season. Sun/Mon football with no morning consequences. Huh?

-Burden of guilt from mountains of wasted money and years of wasted health? What's that? I'm beginning to forget.

-Best of all...the empowering feeling of full control that grows each passing day. Overcoming the daily AV (strong or weak) and all the evil that rides in the sidecar builds strength for the next day. It's like working out. Determination and discipline is the only way to achieve. The process is slow with no shortcuts. But hitting little milestones along the way make you want to keep going forward without regressing.
Old 06-14-2015, 10:32 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Misterchill, well said sir. Your post really resonated with me. Thank you,