Making the tough decisions

Old 06-10-2015, 12:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Making the tough decisions

Still in punta Cana. AH still drinking. We leave Friday. For the remainder of the time I am avoiding him and spending time w my daughter. When we get home my dad is picking us up at the airport. Someone else will pick him up and take him to the hospital. Then hopefully he chooses to get help after detoxing. I will tell them he's threatened to kill himself and therefore is a danger to himself and others. Which is sadly true. They will keep him there for three days at least then. At which point if he chooses to get help great he will go away again for longer than a month this time. Haven't figured out where yet but it will not be his plan since his plans never work. If he chooses to not get help he will be out. He will not be given any money or credit cards or even a phone. He will not have anything. Then I will wait for him to hit bottom. This is the hardest scariest decision of my life but being 18 wks pregnant with a 19 mos old. It's not about me. I have to protect my children from living with a drunk. I'm thankful at least that my daughter doesn't really understand. She knows something's wrong and that mommy cries but this will not affect her long term. It also looks like we can get out of the house without any legal ramifications and keep our deposit. Thank u all for your encouragement and support.
Old 06-10-2015, 12:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You sound like a very strong woman...wow, can't believe it came to this point while you were on vacation...hugs to you...He is definitely a sick person. I hope he gets the help he so desperately needs...try to enjoy the time you have there with your daughter...
Old 06-10-2015, 12:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry it's happening like this. (((((hugs))))) I hope you get some rest during these last days of your vacation, you must be emotionally exhausted!!
Old 06-10-2015, 12:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Megsy, as the daughter of a father would never dream of taking any action that would upset her alcoholic mother, your post and strength has moved me to tears. Thank you for doing for your children what no one ever did for me.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Megsy,
I'm so glad you're finding a way to distance yourself, protect your children, and that you even are getting out of the deal on the house without penalty. You are so smart and strong to take such big steps. Kudos to you--life will get better.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I second what sparkle kitty said-as a daughter of an alcoholic, many nights of my childhood were spent crying to God wishing my mom would take us and leave my dad. You've done a remarkable thing for your children-you are strong and brave and I'm just so proud of you!!!!! Peace.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

How wonderful that you're putting your children first. I know its hard to do and one can have that torn feeling, but you are doing the right thing. The other item that stands out to me is how often you used the phrase, "if he chooses". You got it. This little phrase can be so hard to understand, say, and mean. But YOU have it correct; it is his decision, his choice, and no one can make it for him.
You are one strong momma. I'll be praying for you, your children, and your AH.

Hugs
Old 06-10-2015, 10:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You are one strong and brave woman, putting your kids first at such a difficult time. You're an inspiration. I hope your husband decides to seek sobriety.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I really admire you for stepping up and doing what is right for you and your children. You are helping your children so much.

Hugs to you.