Well THAT was fun while it lasted.

Old 06-10-2015, 12:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Location: My mind wanders a lot, but I try to stay in the present.
Well THAT was fun while it lasted.

So, November of 2013 was the last time I lived in the same house as my XAH.

Since then my nights have been blissfully serene. No sleeping with one ear open, waiting for him to get home. Worried sick. Like a caged animal in fight or flight. Desperate for some release, with no way of escape. All senses on red alert. Unable to sleep. Unable to think. Unable to breath.

I thought the nightmare was over until yesterday.

My daughter got her drivers license.

Dear God give me strength!

Old 06-10-2015, 12:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh boy. I've got a soon to be 14 y.o. looking to get his learner's permit in September and that's got me going a little nutty. I'm trying to look at it as having the chauffeur I've always wanted, but not having much success.
Serenity prayer time. (When is it not with a teenager?)
While she's out, have her pick you guys up a pizza to celebrate her success.
Old 06-10-2015, 01:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh God!

I just got a call from her. She's at a coffee shop, talking a mile a minute, telling me how "weird" she feels being out by herself with the car.

(Thank goodness it's her dad's car.)

I told her to stay off of the caffeine.

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh.
Old 06-10-2015, 01:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

((SKhug))
Old 06-10-2015, 02:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

SK, my oldest will be 16 in November. I'm teaching her to drive this summer. Good luck!
Old 06-10-2015, 02:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Baby Steps

Oh seriouskarma I understand my son will be taking his test in a few weeks and I'm so scared at the thought of him being out in a car, on the roads by himself!!
Old 06-10-2015, 02:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oh my....I get it! I have a 15 year old that turns 16 in Sep. I am realizing just how close that is!

Good luck to all of us!!! XXX
Old 06-10-2015, 02:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Baby Steps

I know we will spend many a sleepless night worrying while they are out in their cars loving life and not realising how worried we all are!!
Old 06-10-2015, 03:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
I know we will spend many a sleepless night worrying while they are out in their cars loving life and not realising how worried we all are!!
Yeah!

Did I go through 83 hours of hard labor, out in the fields, on a cold winters night, alone, with only a bullet to bite. while nursing 3 sets of twins, cooking a well rounded (yet tasty) meal, AND harvesting the crops, just for her to HAVE A FULFILLING AND ENJOYABLE LIFE?

It's an outrage!

I say we revolt.
Old 06-10-2015, 03:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sending you all many prayers! I'm also counting my blessings having lived on ranches and in low population areas. I drive 1-2 hours to get to Alanon, but our kids learned to drive early on large ranches in all weather conditions. The transition to driving on public roads with a learners permit and then on their own was relatively easy. I still waited up for them, yet it didn't seem to be as nerve-wracking. Big hugs, SK, to you and your daughter!
Old 06-10-2015, 03:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

SeriousKarma....you were so lucky! I didn't have a bullet to bite on....I had to gnaw on my own knuckles.......

dandylion
Old 06-10-2015, 03:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am admittedly the odd duck here! I had my driver's license at 14. When our kids had to wait until 15/16 to get theirs, I think I was more impatient for that than they were. I really jumped for joy when 18 came and they could make the Costco run!

I hope you both enjoy the freedom. May God be with her as she learns responsible safe driving.
Old 06-10-2015, 03:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Baby Steps

Originally Posted by SeriousKarma View Post
Yeah!

Did I go through 83 hours of hard labor, out in the fields, on a cold winters night, alone, with only a bullet to bite. while nursing 3 sets of twins, cooking a well rounded (yet tasty) meal, AND harvesting the crops, just for her to HAVE A FULFILLING AND ENJOYABLE LIFE?

It's an outrage!

I say we revolt.
Love it so funny.
Old 06-10-2015, 03:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Baby Steps

Wow 15/16 to start to learn to drive? Really? In the UK you have to be 17 before you can take lessons, you've to do a theory and hazards perception test then when you pass these and your driving instructor says your ready you can sit your actual driving test!!
Old 06-10-2015, 03:42 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
SeriousKarma....you were so lucky! I didn't have a bullet to bite on....I had to gnaw on my own knuckles.......

dandylion
Oh my! I better stop complaining then.

Butterfly, I believe you have to pay quite a bit more in the UK as well. Here it's only $20.00 for the license.

Yes, it's quite easy to get a license here. I think that's partially because a lot of this country is rural, and because public transportation is virtually unheard of.

She could have gotten it at 16, but I had her wait until 18. (Better insurance rates, and less worry.)
Old 06-10-2015, 10:56 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Lol. Nursing 3 sets of twins while being in labor seems, um, biologically impossible but what do I know, I'm not a doctor.

She'll be okay. We all went through it.
Old 06-11-2015, 01:03 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

My twins turn 15 at the end of July. So they will get their permits. And as if I didn't think parenting three children by myself was difficult enough, now I am supposed to teach two to drive at the same time!!! The serenity prayer will be taped to the dash board!!!! And did I mention they each continue to telling me what kind of car they want. Seriously!!! I have explained daily I don't have a job, am going through a divorce and their dad isn't paying for anything. So my son looked at me and told me I could sell my seven year old car that has over 104,000 miles on it and split the proceeds three ways and buy each of them a car and me too. Wow! And I'm sure I could buy a mansion and yacht with the change. I'm thinking I should sell my son instead! Just kidding.
Old 06-11-2015, 02:51 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Baby Steps

yes its a fortune here, lessons to date have cost £400 then the license and all the tests. Its scary money!!
Old 06-11-2015, 03:00 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 53500 View Post
Lol. Nursing 3 sets of twins while being in labor seems, um, biologically impossible
Yeah, things were different back then. We also harvested are crops at an odd time of year. But, ya know, things change.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:00 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Only 1 teen driver?

Two years ago I put three though drivers ed in the same summer. The fourth kid is in drivers ed this summer. Three now have there full licences (18,17,16) and in the fall the 14 yr old will have a school licence.

You will survive. We have to stop future tripping with our teen drivers. One day at a time