Notices

Drinking dream & AA

Old 06-10-2015, 05:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drinking dream & AA

I had a drinking dream night before last and it's really thrown me off my stride. It wasn't one of those where i keep looking down at my hand and I've picked up a beer and then i put it down. It was a dream of being on holiday, sitting in the sun and drinking and it being glorious. My biggest trigger is the sunshine most probably. I can feel the resentment bubbling up after the dream at all the things I can't do. I sulked all day yesterday and didn't bother running and also blew off my AA meeting. That's the first day I missed in 66 days but apathy just seemed to over take me so quickly. No point to this post really just feeling a bit disheartened and wanted to put it down on paper so to speak.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MarathonMan View Post
No point to this post really just feeling a bit disheartened and wanted to put it down on paper so to speak.
There is a point to any post bro. It's more time spent doing something else besides drinking !!!! Be it venting, encouraging, or just rambling. Just know this, as good as that dream seemed & the reality of it might seem, it probably would have been the first stumble down a path YOU don't really want Just my 2cents Bro ..

Dennis
Old 06-10-2015, 06:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

When I learned to put my heart,
soul and mind into recovery then
my dreams would turn out to be
about recovery. It would be me
in a situation where alcohol was
offered to me and because of my
life being drenched in recovery,
my thoughts, action all with recovery
incorporated with it, then in my
dream, I refused and turned down
alcohol and stood tough against the
evils of the temptation of poison.

Making changes in my life using
healthy teaching of recovery then
my thoughts, dreams turn into
healthy ones. My dreams support
my recovery. Meaning, whatever
I put into my recovery comes
thru in my dreams.

Recovery is a dream come true.

When I awoke this morning I had
just remembered my dream where
I was helping a family member who
was accused of something horrible,
yet, I was the one who believed in
his innocence and was dragging him
away to safety when I asked God to
help me.

To me that was a spiritual dream because
of my strong Faith in my HP of my understanding.
Living and incorporating my program of
recovery in all areas of my life allows me
to be physically, mentally, emotionally
as well as spiritually fit each day I remain
sober all to the best of my human ability.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
quat

I have had dreams about drinking after I quit, they are weird to say the least. But dreams nonetheless, would like to add 'just' but the fact they have some residual effect leaves us with 'something'. But at the same time I have had dreams along the lines of being betrayed by my spouse and then some residual resentful feelings or emotional response upon waking but what can you do about that, punish or expect some resolution , more like a facepalm and hope for a better movie the next night .
'all the things I can't do" that is the crux, wouldn't it be better to see that of All the things life has to offer, there is One thing you choose not to do solely because the negative effects it brings to your life. Laying in the sunshine , enjoying the waves and showing a young one how to body surf are not the stuff of fantasy, they are real things to do and have pleasant memories of . Consequenceless alcohol consumption isnt in the realm of reality, right? You got this.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dwtbd View Post
'all the things I can't do" that is the crux, wouldn't it be better to see that of All the things life has to offer, there is One thing you choose not to do solely because the negative effects it brings to your life. Laying in the sunshine , enjoying the waves and showing a young one how to body surf are not the stuff of fantasy, they are real things to do and have pleasant memories of . Consequenceless alcohol consumption isnt in the realm of reality, right? You got this.
Yea !!!!!!!! I forgot to point that out too LoL. In my haste to get myself together this am ..

Dennis

My name is August West, and I love my Pearly Baker best more than my wine.
More than my wine - more than my maker, though he's no friend of mine.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Trudgin

What I hear in your post is someone willing to go to any lengths to get sober!

You had a vivid dream, felt some self pity/ remorse over not being "able" to drink anymore - cheated, maybe and made it through.

You made a decision to not drink. Good!!!
Great thread, this will help others..........

Also a great share for your next meeting = I don't have to act on my thoughts

keep coming back
Old 06-10-2015, 11:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Getting it out there is good for you. Gives you a chance to examine yourself and maybe learn something from others at the same time.

Hang in there and congrats on day 66! Glad you made the decision to not take that first drink no matter what.
Old 06-10-2015, 04:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I never put much store in drinking dreams being anything but my subconscious playing with random memories - thought bubbles rising to the top, MM.

I still dream of high school but I've no desire to go back there.

I had lots of drinking dreams - but I figured as long as I was steadfast in my recovery while I was awake, that's what mattered.

I know they seem hyper real and I understand they can be upsetting but the worst thing you could do is let this put you off your recovery.

D