Notices

The daily decision

Old 06-09-2015, 07:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The daily decision

I everyone!
I've been thinking a lot lately about "the decision". The decision I make on a daily basis to drink or not to drink (that is the question!) I have been struggling a lot lately and have been making the wrong decision. I don't remember what made me make the right decision in sober times.

I know you all struggle with the same decision, but I'd love to hear what causes you to make the decision to stay sober that day.

Thanks for Listening!

Angela
Old 06-09-2015, 08:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I like who I am and I love the life I've created. That makes a decision to keep things going a no-brainer really

D
Old 06-09-2015, 08:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was never a day drinker. Maybe once or twice a year when at a tailgate, but that's it. As an evening drinker, drinking meant horrific hangovers the next morning and often mental anguish/embarrassment/shame that was 10 times worse. I just play the tape forward and thing how tomorrow morning will feel I pick up and drink.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I like who I am and I love the life I've created. D
I think because of my drinking, I don't like who I am. It's a catch 22!
Old 06-09-2015, 08:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I decided some time ago that I would never drink again and never change my mind.

I based this decision upon the moral imperative of ceasing selfish, indulgent, dangerous behavior that robbed and threatened the survival of myself, my family, my employer and innocent strangers who crossed my path while I was loping around in the night, hot in the call of the wild.

I learned how to outwit the party animal that is part of our collective survival instinct using a decision-making guide and lesson plan called AVRT, or Addictive Voice Recognition Technique.

Rather than a treatment plan or support system, it is merely a formalized curriculum that summarizes and teaches the collected lore of the millions and billions of abstinent people throughout history who have quit on their own, for good.

The basic lesson plan is available for free on the Internet and it is frequently discussed in the Secular Connections forum on this Web site.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome Angie. I make the decision to stay sober each day because I know everything is better for me if I don't drink. My health, my family, my job, my anxiety, pretty much everything is better because I don't drink anymore. And I also know from several years of failed moderation attempts that if I decide to drink again, I will be back at the maintenance drinking/daily binging in a short period of time. There is no in-between for me.
Old 06-10-2015, 04:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Angie and welcome.

For me it was several reasons and feelings to finally stop. I was scared by my progression of drinking, never getting better. Being sick and tired of being sick and tired regarding my failed attempts to stop and the morning after effects.

After many AA meetings I heard a logical statement that finally gave me the push I needed, “if I don’t pick up the first drink I won’t have to TRY to get sober AGAIN.” That’s worked for me for a lot of years with not 1 regret.

BE WELL
Old 06-10-2015, 04:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
quat

welcome to the forums
A morning like soo many prior , I happened to find SR and saw mention of Rational Recovery and AVRT. I visited their website , took the online free crash course and bought a copy of Rational Recovery : The New Cure for Substance Addiction.
That opened my eyes to the idea that I didn't have to continually and repeatedly make and fail to keep a daily decision. I could make the decision one time and resolve to keep it. No more alcohol, no matter what. No Matter What. I resonated with that idea , it took sometime to get comfortable with the idea , but by sticking to the no matter what, especially where it concerned wanting to and the further in time I was since my last drink the easier it got.
I have to say that the idea that I could make the choice once, instead of again and again was the ticket.
wish you well and hope to see you around
Old 06-10-2015, 05:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

What keeps me sober each day is knowing how much happier I am sober, and knowing I could lose everything I value if I drank again.
Old 06-10-2015, 05:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I make decision because , realized that alcohol never solves any problems . It just magnifies them.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
zjw

it started off as a desperate attempt to see if it would help with my panic attacks. i never felt that it was forever for starters i love drinking too much. secondly the whole "forever" concept was pretty stinking scary.

but these days its simply becuase I dont wanna go back to that hell. I know the struggles i have without booze are nothing compared to the struggles I had with booze. Although someitmes I need to be reminded of this as I must have a bad memory!.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:18 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You have to remain diligent and dedicated to sobriety with the tools at your disposal, but I've found that after six months, alcohol simply ceases to be a part of my life and thoughts.

There are times and situations when I think of drinking, but those thoughts are quickly brushed aside. I'm not sure if that's what people on this forum refer to as "sober muscles," but I think it is- a strength in sobriety. I'm on SR daily, reading through the treads continually. They keep me reminded of what I've left and what I don't want to go back to. I guess what I'm saying is that I gets easier with a bit of sobriety built up. Not drinking becomes the new normal.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Angie, welcome to SR.

Like others have posted, I make the decision daily; I don't get complacent with that since I've relapsed many times in the past when I am just going through the motions.

I love life sober. This comes after many years of hard and daily drinking. Now, I am a much better father, husband, friend, person than what I used to be. When I'm not drinking, I can enjoy life without all of the anxiety of "when will my next drink be".

Each time I think of drinking, I try to remember all of the pain, anxiety, short-temperedness, poor health, lazy feelings, lost time, arguments, loss of memory... that just one drink will bring back into my life.

I've already given up 21 years to this addiction... not today.

You can do this. You've just got to want to be sober more than you want to drink. It takes a lot of work and dedication, but the outcome is so worth the effort you will put in; one day at a time. Focus on not drinking today, you will not regret that decision.

Lean on us as much as you need.

Welcome!
Old 06-10-2015, 07:06 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm pretty new at this but I'm finding the daily decision to not drink come much easier than the other way around. I think it helps me by being acutely aware of what happened with my previous attempts. I only know (or can be satisfied) with one way of drinking. And that way is too often (every day) and too much. It helps to accept that there is no middle ground and trying to control it while still drinking is a terrible exercise of unsatisfied feelings and a constant nagging grip. Time off builds strength to take more time off.
Old 06-10-2015, 03:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by angiebaby33 View Post
I think because of my drinking, I don't like who I am. It's a catch 22!
It's not really a Catch 22 tho - there is a clear solution

There was still a good person inside of me - I just had to stop drinking so I could rediscover that person

D
Old 06-10-2015, 04:16 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome to SR Angie
Old 06-11-2015, 10:19 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Angie!!