Notices

42 in a row but need advice

Old 06-09-2015, 03:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
bdj

42 in a row but need advice

I have 1 day sober 42 times in a row thanks to this forum. I need some advice from your experience. I have been really tired and short tempered the last week. Anxiety has been high. My blood sugar levels have been good. Is this normal 6 weeks in? Any advise from your experience is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Not much more experience than yourself I'm afraid, but just wanted to let you know I can relate. I'm 10 weeks in and I've been all over the place physically and mentally, some really great days too, but lots where I still feel below par........ I have been drinking for more than 30 years though and it's surely going to take some time to feel good most of the time.
good luck to you and don't give in...... I keep hearing that 3 months can be a turn around time for some folk, we're not so far from that.

xx
Old 06-09-2015, 03:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Feeling anxiety is early sobriety is totally normal. You are learning to deal with life on life's terms now with a clear mind rather than in an alcohol haze whether drinking or hungover. I found that it was important for me to have some down time each day....just to be by myself. Being outside with a cup of coffee on my deck in the morning helps me or taking some time after work to go for a long walk or working on a project. It takes time for our body and our mind to heal don't forget from all the various types of damage we have done
Old 06-09-2015, 03:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bdj

Thanks, I do feel pretty good overall and I am thankful for waking up sober every morning.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

At 42 days I was still a complete basket case. At right around that time, I was pretty certain I was going to crack. Not drinking however was more important to me than anything in the world, and I checked myself into a rehab before I had the chance to act on what I feared was coming.

A solid foundation for me has given me decades of sobriety. I say that, because what may have seemed like time wasted early on (a month in a rehab) has proven to give me sooooooo much more in return. My first year sober I was 100% committed to my sobriety. 2nd year ordinary "real" life started to ease it's way back in. Wasn't until year 3 that I felt I was a completely functioning human being again, with absolutely no desire to drink, whatsoever. The fight was completely over for me.

And while that might sound bleak to some (3 years!!!???!!!), those years were pretty awesome. Learned a lot, met a lot people, had a lot of new experiences. Had a blast actually.

It takes a while. I believe we have to put an effort into learning to live and think differently if we want to be happy and comfortable living without a drink. For me that meant diving into AA and the 12 steps with every fiber of my being. I can't imagine myself being sober today, had I not done that. It takes time, but it gets better without a doubt.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Yes, it's normal to feel a bit 'off' for a while in early recovery. Your brain is getting back to normal functioning and it takes some time. Stay sober and it will get better.
Old 06-09-2015, 04:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bdj

Thanks again for the advice. I don't miss drinking at all. Life is much better sober. This forum and it's members have been a blessing. Also, seeing the people at work come in hungover or still drunk and their lives all messed up from alcohol and drugs keeps me grounded. I don't ever want to be like that again.
Old 06-09-2015, 04:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes, it's normal. I was still adjusting to handling things without drinking. I started saying the serenity prayer a lot. I realized that I couldn't fix, manage or control other people or situations to suit me so I had to learn how to adapt. Making a mental gratitude list. Mad at work? Grateful I had a job. Things like that.

Well done on 42 days!
Old 06-09-2015, 04:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I'm only on day 33 myself today but I know in the past when that days 38-45 or so were always big danger zones for me. Feeling anxious and just uneasy in my new sober life was a big part of that. But it usually passed shortly after that if I gave it a chance and didn't start drinking again.

Six weeks seems like forever but compared to how long we were drinking, it's a drop in the ocean. Our bodies and minds are still very much healing from all the damage we did to them.

Congrats on six weeks and we've been missing you on the Class of May thread. Just in case you're not aware, it's moved over to the Newcomer's Daily Support forum now:

Newcomer's Daily Support Threads - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Hope you'll come check in on us soon. We need you!