Notices

Back after 6 months

Old 06-08-2015, 10:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back after 6 months

I guess its not unique to many, but after joining 6 months ago i didnt stay sober for longer than the first week. I seem to always think of a reason to drink- some thing happy or sad, even watching sports or movies. I am now back because i am afraid my fuzzy thoughts every day after drinking the night before are affecting work. I also continue to gain weight from my excessive drinking and eating and feel gross and bloated.

So here i am at 24 hours sober, and feeling more motivated to stop drinking. I am typically a nightime drinker, after i get home from work. I have tried AA, but its tough to balance family and mealtime after work and still get out the door for a meeting during the week. I will try to make one at least this week.
Old 06-08-2015, 11:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Glad you are back and congrats on 24 hours sober. Try and find time to make the AA meetings - they could save your life.
Old 06-08-2015, 11:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

good to see you back SkaterDude
Old 06-09-2015, 05:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Glad you made it back in here, SkaterDude!

Originally Posted by SkaterDude View Post
I have tried AA, but its tough to balance family and mealtime after work and still get out the door for a meeting during the week.
If you found time for your drinking, I bet you can find time for your recovery.

Wishing you the best...
Old 06-09-2015, 05:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I put a lot of significance on just getting the first 24 and feel as if I can move forward once I make that. I hope it's that way for you too. Welcome back!
Old 06-09-2015, 05:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi.
"I have tried AA, but its tough to balance family and mealtime after work and still get out the door for a meeting during the week. I will try to make one at least this week."

I’m glad you made it back as so many don’t/can’t.
I say things newcomers don’t like because I’ve had a lot of years experience and observation of peoples thinking at many thousands of meetings.

First is we need to make sobriety our number one goal or all other goals will be lost if we don’t become long term sober. We have to want to be sober and be honest with ourselves about our drinking AND accept the fact we cannot drink one day at a time in a row in safety.

This is just the beginning and requires ongoing work and change, some of which we don’t like but the rewards are very satisfying.

BE WELL
Old 06-09-2015, 09:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sounds like a good plan. If face to face meetings are difficult bc of your schedule maybe you can schedule a time each evening to check In here, or something like that. Some sort of accountability.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Night time drinker here too.

I'm trying to schedule concrete things to do

If face to face meetings are difficult bc of your schedule maybe you can schedule a time each evening to check In here, or something like that.
That sounds like a really good idea I'm going to use.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome bk
Old 06-09-2015, 11:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome back! Night time drinking is a tricky one. I hope you are able to find a schedule that lets you get to a weekly meeting; they can be a nice pick-me-up to keep your sobriety momentum going.
Old 06-09-2015, 04:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome back!!
Old 06-09-2015, 06:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

As i close in on 48 hours im feeling weird, albeit ok and without my normal cravings. I found a meeting for tomorrow night. Tonight im just relaxing with my kids, and will try to crash early. I appreciate the support and advice here.
Old 06-10-2015, 05:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You can do this.... it is Totally worth it.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome back. I know how hard it is to get to meetings when you have a busy work schedule and family. Even if you only make it once a week, that is better than zero!
Old 06-10-2015, 07:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome back!
Old 06-10-2015, 08:29 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome back to SR. It's a great place to get support. I'm going to be along the same lines as IOAA. I found the time to drink every night and all weekend. Not much got in the way of my drinking. I'd juggle everything to make sure I got my drinking in. When I first quit I didn't think I had the time for meetings either. I made time, even if it meant attending meetings at 6 a.m. and I did. 90 in 90.

Lately I keep thinking I don't have the time for meetings. I'm too busy. That's not true. I could make them happen if I made them a priority, but I don't and the quality of my sobriety is suffering as a result.

Hang in there. Enjoy your children. If you can't make it to meetings maybe set aside time each night to come on here to read and post.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:20 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome back! I'm back after two year, on day 8 now. Guess we both know deep down what we want, we just have to stick with it this time. Best of luck.