Notices

Hey Chums...Day 1 here...

Old 06-08-2015, 08:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hey Chums...Day 1 here...

...again ! This will be the LAST Day 1 !!!

I've known for years that alcohol was not good to the body. I just failed to realize just how bad it is on the brain! I'am just now becoming aware of subtle changes that have occured over the past 3 years of my heavy daily, drinking. They are not subtle anymore.

By biggest motivation to Stopping this insanity is my now, very apparent cognitive decline and by taking a look back several years and seeing the old "Me" compared to the "Me" I'am today it has really got my attention ...it fact it is scaring hell out of me !

Going over old personal blogs typed, audio, and video recordings of myself doing things and disscussing things with myself (yes, "talking to myself") I have declined the most in just the last 3 years and even more noticably this last year...it is accelerating.

I used to be strictly a beer drinker. Over the past year I have progressed to cheap Vodka AND beer. Kinda 1/2 and 1/2 ratio. Then about 6 months ago, the Vodka's became Double's and 6 "Tall" beers a night. A "Tall" is 16 Fluid Ounces Our "Pint" US.

Saw the Doc today and have his blessing to quit. He wrote 2 perscriptions and said to take as directed. Come back in 2 weeks. Sooner if I need to. I dont really know what they are but he just said it's going to help and wont hurt me. He also said Alcoholic Dementia is very real and I present with early stage symptoms that are usually reversable with total abstinence. A glimmer of hope.

My plan includes moderate excercise, good nutrition. and lots of water for starters. I also intend to start doing "brain games". You know, puzzles and math problems and mental excercises to stimulate or excercise the brain. In addition...getting lots of rest. Daytime naps will become the norm. Here in Florida it's just too HOT to be out in the middle of a Summer day !

My plan also is to subscribe to 3 programs, Rational Recovery (AVRT, S.M.A.R.T, and AA. I have been reading Rational Recovery this week and it makes some sense to me. SMART is also resonating with me. AA does as well. I dont have a problem at all With the "God thing" as I'am a "God person". The end result of the sum of these programs will be to "take what I can use and give back the rest". I will be attending at least 3-5 AA meetings a week.

I've been reading other books as well. Allen Carr's "Easy Way", I'am just "pecking at. It's a pretty heavy read for me at this time. A lot of information and To me it is scattered...or maybe I'am the one thats scattered... Most likely. I'll give it another read at a later time.

As an example of my reading skills at the moment...I can read a paragraph and get to the last sentence and dont have a clue what it said. Not one. I have read posts on SR that for all the world where new post to me, only to find out I've read it before because I left a thank you acknowledgement. It's that bad !...and getting worse.

There is a lot more to share. Maybe later but for now, I'am waving the white flag. Enough is enough and I HAVE HAD ENOUGH !

Boldy onward to Day 2 !

DD
Old 06-08-2015, 08:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Sounds like you have all the pieces lined up for this to truly be your last Day 1. If you can follow your plan and be true to yourself you will go far.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Way to go on seeing your doctor and arranging a plan. Go forth!
Old 06-08-2015, 08:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Best wishes Dave

D
Old 06-08-2015, 09:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm so happy to see you recommitting yourself to recovery Dave!
Old 06-08-2015, 09:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Into the Void

Good for you, Dave! You can do this thing. Congrats on taking the plunge!
Old 06-08-2015, 09:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sounds like you have a good plan in place, and your doctor seems quite supportive as well. Looking forward to hearing about your journey.:-)
Old 06-09-2015, 12:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good luck, Dave. Sounds like you have a great plan, and that hopefully you've caught any health /cognitive worries just in time to reverse the damage. I'm usng the puzzle thing like you; I want to test and stretch those failing brain muscles, as well as having an absorbing distraction
Old 06-09-2015, 12:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well just a quick note. It's 3:30am on the US East Coast and yep, you guessed it. First night insomnia. Been trying to doze off since Midnight. But, this too shall pass. Sleep will come eventually in it's on good time and how sweet it will be, sober!

DD
Old 06-09-2015, 12:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank You Julie. I guess we were posting at the same time. Yes this has really been a "Wake Up" call for me. Coming to this realization and accepting it is definately a game changer.

Best to you.

DD
Old 06-09-2015, 04:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Sounds like a solid plan, DuhDave! Remember you don't have to pick up that first drink no matter what. Look forward to seeing you grow in your recovery!
Old 06-09-2015, 05:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Glad you're back Dave!
Old 06-09-2015, 05:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Dave, I can totally relate to your cognitive worries. That was one of my main reasons for quitting the booze. My memory was so hazy and scattered. And my ability to retain knowledge and have an educated conversation with someone was getting worse by the day. Even when I quit the weeknight drinking and only binged on Saturdays, I still noticed a huge mental decline taking place... and I'm only 34! It really scared me more than any of the physical health worries. I read that it can take quite some time for the brain to heal, but if we stick with it then hopefully we're one of the lucky ones that gets our full brain capacity back. Good luck to you.
Old 06-09-2015, 05:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Best wishes to you, Dave. I'm 32 days into recovery, and slowly, it does get better.
Old 06-09-2015, 04:45 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Day 2...

...is going smoothly. I finally got to sleep about 7:00am and slept well until 2:30pm. Whatever it takes for now. I'am very fortunate to be retired.

A little surprise of sobriety for me tonight. Bought takeout (Fried Chicken) for dinner and was starving. Ate as soon as I got home. It was still Hot and freshly cooked and was delicious. Usually it would be cold and 6-8 hours setting in the microwave before I ate and was alway's Blitzed. BIG difference in quality and flavor! As a added bonus...I will be able to remember in the morning, what I had for supper tonight !

Eating a good bit of fresh fruit. If I'am going to have sugar craving's might as well satisfy with something healthy instead of processed sugar.

Trying my best to limit my caffiene intake. If the "Jitter's" arrive I dont need to compound the problem with caffiene.

All in all a uneventful Day 2. No withdrawals at all, so far and my head is clearing rapidly the fog was very minimal. I also know that this is subject to change at any moment. Appetite is good and I'am drinking my water. I'am sure the insomnia will be back tonight so will most likely post later. Looking forward to our meeting tonight @ 9pm my time. Sooo......

For the new comer's...the benefits of sobriety are immediate ! Trust me. You have nothing to fear and everything to gain !

Boldly Onward to Day 3 !

DD

Old 06-09-2015, 05:01 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Inspirational DD.

We are a few days apart and both on the last lap.

Thanks for posting so openly and at length.

And yes, food does taste better without booze. Why wouldn't it?
Old 06-09-2015, 05:06 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Great thread Dave, and keep us updated!

Yes, food is generally supposed to taste better while sober. Well, except my cooking. Since I've sobered up, I've realized my cooking is bland and gross, lol.
Old 06-09-2015, 05:34 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Keep up the great work Dave!
Old 06-09-2015, 06:25 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Good going Dave!.
I am on Day 1, myself, and I am gonna be checking your thread often. Since you are "a few days ahead of me", I'm getting motivated by hearing about the good things waiting for me just around the corner (like tasting food ). Also, I plan to follow your lead and the other newcomers by starting my own thread tomorrow.
From one Floridian to another, keep up the good job!
Old 06-09-2015, 11:44 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Well the insomnia is back tonight for a repeat visit. 2:40am on the US East Coast and what better time to fix a big ole' Peanut butter and Jelly samich and a big ole' glass of Ice cold milk ? I cant think of any so thats what I'am doing now. Enjoying my sandwich and milk.

Even the insomnia will get tired sooner or later and go away. I'll get to sleep and all will be right with the world again. When I awake in the AM, I'll be rested, clear headed and best of all sober and not hungover. Life is good...and getting better day by day.

DD