You'd think I would learn by now..

Old 06-08-2015, 07:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

You'd think I would learn by now..

While my husband sits in jail the past two months (& doing MUCH better. He himself is glad he was arrested, & this recovery has been a lot different than times he "quit" on his own. But yea yea, easy to be clean when you're locked up), it was peaceful for a little while. Then my sister in laws husband started stealing from our business office (cell phones, electronics) to support his own habit. Him and my sister in law (husbands sister) ended up arrested about a month ago. According to her they took her in because they found his stuff in the house (probation) and said since they live together they're both arrested. That made no sense to me at the time, since I hadn't been arrested when probation found my husbands stuff, but I fell for it and bailed her out and thought we were in similar positions. Turned out she's was using with him this whole time, too. And chance after chance has taken advantage of me for money, help, etc. I am so sick of having any type of addiction or addict in my life. I'm so sick of having to be wary of people, and to have to now harden my naive little kind helpful heart because people will take advantage of it. It's so crazy how believable and convincing addicts can be!
This is just a rant/update I guess, not much point.. But that's my check-in of the month.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

thanks PERIWINKLE

true emotion, it's exhausting to have to protect ourselves from this affecting our lives but once we feel this - it helps each time it presents itself. Eventually we can see it coming and avoid the heartache and loss.

best wishes to you and hugs
Joie
Old 06-09-2015, 07:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ugh. How awful.

If you did put yourself on the line for her bail, you can go explain, and have it revoked. I would not want my name or money on the line for an addict.

Many prayers for you.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Periwinkle

Thank you for sharing. It is exhausting when you have to guard yourself against addiction and the manipulation that presents itself.

Hugs to you today!
Old 06-09-2015, 09:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
Two words.

Ice Them.

We only put up with things we choose to put up with. If you don't want to put up with nonsense, don't. It's that simple.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zoso77 View Post
Two words. Ice Them. We only put up with things we choose to put up with. If you don't want to put up with nonsense, don't. It's that simple.
Yep. Last week she pretended to be her mom (my MIL) over text on her phone, and asked me for $140 for "bills". Then came to "pick it up for her". Found out a couple days ago. That was the last straw for me. I blocked her on my phone and all social media. It was a good reminder that you can't help an addict no matter how much you want to. They can only help themselves.