Hoping I'm just being paranoid?!!!

Old 06-08-2015, 06:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hoping I'm just being paranoid?!!!

Can alcoholism cause you to loose teeth? I assume yes. I guess I want to hear it from a former/ recovery alcholic rather than read it on a website because it'll make it more believable. At least to me it will.

So... I've recently been talking to this guy that I met on a dating site. We been talking for the past three weeks. We haven't met yet but will later this week.. Ugh. I've been open to him about my past relationships with guys who had addiction(s) to drugs and alcohol. I've made it clear to him that I'm not looking to date another guy who has past or current issues with any addiction(s). Therefore, if he has any current or past, I'm not interested in dating him. He swears he's as clean as a whistle - never even smoked pot in which I find odd. I say this only because these days we've all tried it once. He says he drinks every now and then... Like 2 times a week - ( 2 drinks). I explained that was fine just as long as he's not dependent on alcohol.

However, within the last two weeks of talking on the phone I've noticed that he's been drinking more than twice a week, like three days, I assume 2 drinks each. He took a picture in his car today while he was on his break at work. When I received pic he was holding up a Heineken bottle. That was an immediate red flag to me. I asked if he was drinking on the job. He replied back with... No, I just had it in my car from last night. I said... Oh so it's an empty bottle? He said.... No it's full. I'm starting to think ive crossed paths with another guy who has a possible drinking problem????

The other thing is that his teeth in pics looked jacked up, crooked and I believe a few missing on bottom. I didn't mind the crooked teeth to much on top. Yet., never noticed possible missing teeth on bottom until one of his pics that he sent me today. This is why I was asking about if alcohol can cause you to loose teeth. I know meth can cause loss of teeth.

Another thing is he sounds like he's drunk or high off of something half of the time when we talk on phone. I've questioned this to him but he swears he's a sober guy. I like the guy but afraid he may not be as honest as he says he is. I guess I should know about all of this - considering my past with guys and their addiction(s). However, every guy I dated had a differnt level with addictio(s). This is why I'm clueless yet still cautious. I just hope it's me being overly paranoid and not him actually having a possible drinking problem.

Any comments/ tips/ advice would be greatly appericated
Old 06-08-2015, 06:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

These things you are noticing are called "red flags." Trust your gut. If you weren't concerned about all these issues, you wouldn't have posted about it here.

For what it's worth, it sounds to me like he is, at the very least, a drinker, and beyond that, could have meth issues. I know meth will ruin teeth. How old is this guy?
Old 06-08-2015, 07:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi suki, thanks for your comment. Yes, I agree, they are red flags!!! He is 33. I'm starting to think maybe meeting him later this week is NOT a good idea. I just don't want to get caught up with the wrong guy again.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Thirty-three years old is way too young to have missing teeth. At the very least, it shows that he doesn't take care of himself.

I agree with your thinking that meeting him in person isn't a great idea.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I don't think missing teeth are a red flag, in and of itself, but sounding drunk/high is.

I think I'd pass.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah, normal people don't have "leftover" booze rolling around in their cars from the night before. I don't think you're being overly paranoid. His explanations stink to high heaven. If you think he sounds drunk or high half the time then you're probably right.
I wouldn't bother meeting him. I think you know more than enough about this dude already. NEXT!
Old 06-09-2015, 01:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm a recovering alcoholic, nearly 2 years sober. Missing teeth is not caused by alcoholism per se but likely poor self care, limited finances, accidents or all of the above. I wouldn't worry about the teeth but I would worry about the beer bottle pose at work and sounding drunk or high. You only sound drunk or high if you are drunk or high and denying it is par for the course if you have a problem. I would accept these red flags as deal breakers - sorry xx
Old 06-09-2015, 03:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've never heard that alcoholism in itself cause missing teeth. Issues related to alcoholism could such as diabetes or cirrhosis. At 33 I'd chalk that up to poor hygiene or something else.

Picture holding the heineken would be enough for me. I'm not much impressed with an admission of drinking and driving (pardon, I forgot the bottle was full At 33 years holding up a bottle of beer and taking a photo in your car is really immature. I think you have more issues here than just alcohol.
Old 06-09-2015, 05:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
DMC

The very fact that you're dwelling on this is enough - don't bother meeting him.

My late XAH had terrible teeth - related to all the vomiting he did. Meth is another notorious tooth-destroyer.

I was very wary dipping my toes back in the dating pool - and realized pretty early that I hadn't given myself enough time to heal. If you're having these concerns, you have been through enough to probably subconsciously notice these things.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Please listen to your gut - ignoring it is how we got here in the first place!
Old 06-09-2015, 09:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Maybe you should just toss him back into the sea.

Originally Posted by Roxxxy View Post
Can alcoholism cause you to loose teeth? I assume yes. I guess I want to hear it from a former/ recovery alcholic rather than read it on a website because it'll make it more believable. At least to me it will.

So... I've recently been talking to this guy that I met on a dating site. We been talking for the past three weeks. We haven't met yet but will later this week.. Ugh. I've been open to him about my past relationships with guys who had addiction(s) to drugs and alcohol. I've made it clear to him that I'm not looking to date another guy who has past or current issues with any addiction(s). Therefore, if he has any current or past, I'm not interested in dating him. He swears he's as clean as a whistle - never even smoked pot in which I find odd. I say this only because these days we've all tried it once. He says he drinks every now and then... Like 2 times a week - ( 2 drinks). I explained that was fine just as long as he's not dependent on alcohol.

However, within the last two weeks of talking on the phone I've noticed that he's been drinking more than twice a week, like three days, I assume 2 drinks each. He took a picture in his car today while he was on his break at work. When I received pic he was holding up a Heineken bottle. That was an immediate red flag to me. I asked if he was drinking on the job. He replied back with... No, I just had it in my car from last night. I said... Oh so it's an empty bottle? He said.... No it's full. I'm starting to think ive crossed paths with another guy who has a possible drinking problem????

The other thing is that his teeth in pics looked jacked up, crooked and I believe a few missing on bottom. I didn't mind the crooked teeth to much on top. Yet., never noticed possible missing teeth on bottom until one of his pics that he sent me today. This is why I was asking about if alcohol can cause you to loose teeth. I know meth can cause loss of teeth.

Another thing is he sounds like he's drunk or high off of something half of the time when we talk on phone. I've questioned this to him but he swears he's a sober guy. I like the guy but afraid he may not be as honest as he says he is. I guess I should know about all of this - considering my past with guys and their addiction(s). However, every guy I dated had a differnt level with addictio(s). This is why I'm clueless yet still cautious. I just hope it's me being overly paranoid and not him actually having a possible drinking problem.

Any comments/ tips/ advice would be greatly appericated
Old 06-09-2015, 09:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I would trust your gut... you ha e nothing to lose by doing that. Even if he is telling the truth, the fact that you're worried about it and the fact that he cannot quell that worry says that right now, at this point in time, you are not a match. Your worry is natural for what you've been through; wouldn't you want to not have to worry at all? Maybe that's why your guts are speaking up.
Old 06-10-2015, 05:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I appreciate all your comments. I've decided not to go through in meeting him. I'm not sure if he has a possible drinking problem. However, I do know he's not as honest as he says he is (caring for me). I was being sneaky and found some things out. I cut him off. I guess it all worked out for best. ~ Cheers
Old 06-10-2015, 06:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good girl, Roxxxy
Old 06-10-2015, 10:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I agree with the others. There are innocent reasons for missing and crooked teeth. One of my daughter's ex's had a few missing teeth in his 20s. Not sure why, I think lack of funds growing up, actually. It was not addiction-related.

But the other behaviors were red flags for sure. Sounds like you dodged a bullet. Good for you.
Old 06-11-2015, 01:26 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Good on you, I sincerely believe you dodged a bullet. X