Notices

Another young life lost

Old 06-08-2015, 01:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Another young life lost

I had to comfort some friends who lost a friend to heroin. Only 23 years old, what a shame. She was just a kid when she got into it and now she can never get out. Luckily my friends aren't into that, but it's hard to see them hurt. I've lost people to that and other drugs before and it's never easy, no matter if you were close or not.

I actually wrote a big, long post about this earlier, but it didn't post and I'm too drained to re-write the whole thing. Long story short, I went to the bar with them, didn't drink, just helped distract them from their thoughts. The friend who I mainly intended to see isn't a big drinker, but wanted something to calm her nerves. Their other friend who IS a big drinker did what I would have done, got too drunk, too emotional and tried to drive herself home. Luckily, we were able to convince her to let me drive her car home. She got home safe and I was incredibly grateful not to have to be one of those people any more.

My thoughts are with the friends and family of the young life we lost this weekend. I can only hope to live my life in a way that respects the memory of her and all the others we've lost to drugs and alcohol. I hope to one of the ones that gets out and stays out.

Hope everyone had a good weekend! If not, well, that's what we're here for 12 weeks and feeling strong.
Old 06-08-2015, 01:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

A sad and painful reminder that all drugs are equally dangerous.
Old 06-08-2015, 01:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Prayers for those affected by this unnecessary, all to familiar tragedy. Heart wrenching, I am sorry.

Sounds like you kicked through another door. Helping others and being soberly available. Awesome

peace to all
Old 06-08-2015, 02:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

A very sad and tragic reminder of the perils of addiction. I am so sorry for the youn g woman and all those who loved her and called her 'friend'.
Old 06-08-2015, 03:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Re-Member

These are deadly addictions we are facing here. Sorry about your loss and glad you were able to fully be there for your friends.
Old 06-08-2015, 03:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
zjw

addiction is crap! sad story.
Old 06-08-2015, 03:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think heroin would be such a tough drug to stop. I know that I would have fallen in love with it if I ever did it, which is why I never did. Addiction is insidious. While studying yesterday, I read that the rate of suicide is very very high in alcoholics and addicts.
Old 06-08-2015, 04:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your loss KT.

D
Old 06-08-2015, 04:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sending peace and comfort to your friends and the bright light they lost.
Old 06-08-2015, 05:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I witnessed 2 deaths in 8 months one at a rehab in florida young girl came in she was strung out badly,woke up that night the paramedics were working on her but she didn't make it.The last rehab a young man around 20 came in he was in the room next to mine,He was wasted and a bit out of control.that night he killed himself....This thing we have can twist us in so many ways and catch us offguard in a ny second.I had a few moments when I gave it some thought that let me just get this over with,being drunk as hell but having a plan.The more I dwel on what the addiction is capable of the more it scares me.thats all
Old 06-09-2015, 01:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

How terrible! Life can be difficult enough; why do humans invent new ways to suffer? My condolences.
Old 06-09-2015, 02:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I just lost someone very close to me to heroin as well, it's really sad, first it was horrific, then sad and horrific, and now real sad. I'm sorry this has happened to you and the others in your life. My therapist said to use it to influence other people in my life and hopefully save a life.