Notices

My plan

Old 06-08-2015, 08:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My plan

Happy Monday! I hope everyone is well.

I've decided to write my plan here do it will help me stay accountable. This is a short term plan, focusing on today and this week.

- Get up and ready for work on time. Get to work on time

- Arrive home sober. Finish the scout pamphlet with my son before Thursday.

- Finish all the laundry with my new to me washer.

- Clean out the spare bedroom and clean the carpet

- Clean my cars

- Take nightly walks with my family

Above all, I need to learn how to deal with triggers and cravings. Any suggestions? I keep going around and around in my mind; I want to quit, need to quit for my family, but wait, I like to drink but no you need to quit. So on and so forth.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Jill, it helped me to make sure I didn't get too hungry mid-afternoon, so plan a snack before leaving work, preferably protein. You'll have plenty of spare calories to play with.
If alcohol is associated with relaxation, you can substitute a soft drink you like, or maybe tea, herbal or otherwise. I created my new relaxation ritual using tea.
Use slow deep breathing to relax when you feel a craving coming on.
It's great that you've planned some other activities, but don't put too much pressure on yourself that it makes you feel tense. Give yourself time to relax and plan some fun activities as well.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Sounds like a great start Jillian. Although I don't see anything on the list that directly addresses your alcoholism. Some things you could consider - there are plenty more, these are just a few suggestions

- Read/write on SR for a specific amount of time each day
- Join a daily/weekly/monthly thread on SR
- Go to an recovery meeting (AA, Smart, Life Ring, etc )
- Read a self help or recovery book
- Speak with an addiction counselor
Old 06-08-2015, 08:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Originally Posted by Jillian2563 View Post
Above all, I need to learn how to deal with triggers and cravings. Any suggestions?
I have found that learning to deal with triggers and cravings is an on-going process. After starting out in sobriety with ninety AA meetings in ninety days, I now go to meetings twice a week. I need to make a continued effort because sobriety is a journey, not a destination.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I forgot to add, log into SR daily and post.

Manning an afternoon snack is a great idea! Because I get hungry, then get home and drink and not eat.

I've also thought about AA but haven't decided yet.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

What questions do you have about AA? I am not religious, and found answers at SoberRecovery to questions about the spiritual nature of the AA program.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Jillian, I think you have made your plan more balanced by considering your hunger and logging into SR. Balance is really important to me because if I'm cleaning, for example, I tend to lose track of eating, resting, etc.

I'm glad that you are working on your recovery.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Trudgin

I agree with eating regularly. At times I will get angry(ish) and just sit in it. I have found that even if I do not feel hungry, a little protein - trail mix, fruit etc generally makes me feel better.

Peanut butter on nice multigrain bread........yum
Old 06-08-2015, 10:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I think you need to start making plans as to what you're going to do when cravings pop up. Are you going to go for a walk? What measures are you going to take to ensure you maintain your sobriety?
Many times I would go window shopping, workout, or watch a movie when I had intense cravings.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You can do this Jillian !

Day 1 for me also.

DD
Old 06-08-2015, 11:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Fantastic Jillian
Old 06-08-2015, 11:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Coldfusion View Post
What questions do you have about AA? I am not religious, and found answers at SoberRecovery to questions about the spiritual nature of the AA program.
I've been to alanon in the past and I'm worried AA will be like alanon - having to go around the room reading each page of the program - I didn't like that and felt it just wasted time. What's AA like in general? I just need to go try it out I guess
Old 06-08-2015, 11:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Coldfusion View Post
I need to make a continued effort because sobriety is a journey, not a destination.
Huh. I think I have the mindset that it's a destination. I will need to remember this. Thanks.
Old 06-08-2015, 11:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I was an evening/night drinker and my witching hour hit hard between 6-8pm for the first week or so. Still nags me a bit 3 weeks down the line but one thing I've been good about is making sure I'm not idle and bored during those hours. I fix things, work out, walk the dog, ride bikes with my kids, engage in my hobbies, basically anything other than sitting around thinking about what I normally did for the last 10-15 years. It's really helped me. Once I get later into the evening the cravings are weak to non-existent. And then it's bedtime.

Not sure when your normal "start time" is but scheduling anything engaging during that window may help ease the urges.
Old 06-08-2015, 12:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MisterChill View Post
I was an evening/night drinker and my witching hour hit hard between 6-8pm for the first week or so. Still nags me a bit 3 weeks down the line but one thing I've been good about is making sure I'm not idle and bored during those hours. I fix things, work out, walk the dog, ride bikes with my kids, engage in my hobbies, basically anything other than sitting around thinking about what I normally did for the last 10-15 years. It's really helped me. Once I get later into the evening the cravings are weak to non-existent. And then it's bedtime. Not sure when your normal "start time" is but scheduling anything engaging during that window may help ease the urges.
Thanks mister chill, my "start time" is the minute I get in my car or home. I plan on doing the above things to keep me busy so I don't drink. Good job on three weeks. I went more than 40 days in March but slowly got back into drinking 😔
Old 06-08-2015, 12:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I totally understand the easy slide, Jillian. I've tried knocking it off and moderating multiple times the last 4 years or so. Always ended up back in the same exact place. Now I see it more clearly this time. That "exact place" is the only place I'm satisfied when I drink. But that place is way too much and every day so the all or none proposition is all I have left. My health issues were the final straw. Stage 2 hypertension, jacked up liver enzymes, very high bad cholesterol, and got diagnosed with alcoholic fatty liver after my ultrasound last week. All tied to drinking and pretty scary. Fixing all of that is goal #1 and never going back is goal #1
Old 06-08-2015, 02:01 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MisterChill View Post
I totally understand the easy slide, Jillian. I've tried knocking it off and moderating multiple times the last 4 years or so. Always ended up back in the same exact place. Now I see it more clearly this time. That "exact place" is the only place I'm satisfied when I drink. But that place is way too much and every day so the all or none proposition is all I have left. My health issues were the final straw. Stage 2 hypertension, jacked up liver enzymes, very high bad cholesterol, and got diagnosed with alcoholic fatty liver after my ultrasound last week. All tied to drinking and pretty scary. Fixing all of that is goal #1 and never going back is goal #1
I'm sorry to hear about the health issues. When I went a couple months ago, my liver enzymes were high. I went back after 17 days of quitting and they were back to normal. But probably back up again. And I've gained so much weight since I started drinking 8 years ago. I mean 50 lbs and I feel/look awful. When I quit for the 40 days or so I had lost 3lbs, now I'm afraid to get back on the scale or see the doc. We go on vacation in 3 weeks and want too lose weight but I can't if I don't stop this addiction. I got four bottles of sparkling water yesterday and lime/lemon. It's 5 o'clock now so I'm heading home. Thanks everyone for your help. I think if I stick close, I can do it with everyone's help/encouragement.
Old 06-08-2015, 05:57 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

So it's almost 9 and I've made it thru sober. Didn't really do much from my to do list - but I did dry and straighten my hair and some laundry. Made a heathy dinner - zucchini from my garden, carrots and okra with a little meat. On target with my calories app and still have 38 left - needless to say I'm hungry, lol. But if I want to lose weight this is what I have to do. And it helps me stay sober. No telling how many calories I've been consuming with the beer in top of everything else probably 3-4k, ouch
Old 06-08-2015, 06:00 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
~sb

maybe add a couple of walks in your plan?
Old 06-08-2015, 06:04 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
maybe add a couple of walks in your plan?
I was going to today but no one wanted to go with me so I showered and straightened my hair, lol. My husband said his ankle hurt and I just didn't want to go alone for some reason. But I do plan on it! Maybe I can get up early tomorrow and do it since I won't be hungover and going to bed soon 😊