Notices

Mindfulness

Old 06-08-2015, 01:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Mindfulness

Does anyone out there have any experience/advice around using mindfulness as a technique to deal with unhelpful thoughts? I have been recommended to give it a try and really wanted to know if it works and how difficult it is. I have read a bit about it and it seems a bit tricky?? I am really interested in your thoughts… Thanks
Old 06-08-2015, 02:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I found these to be a basic but useful entry into mindfulness as a concept kate

New to Mindfulness? How to Get Started | World of Psychology

Mindfulness and Addiction: Part I | Mindfulness and Psychotherapy

read through to part 3 to find out about a technique I really like called Urge Surfing

D
Old 06-08-2015, 03:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ined-long.html This technique employs mindfulness specific to the self-talk that precedes drinking/using. By grouping all thoughts of using/self harm as Addictive Voice, reason can get a foothold and usurp the power of the compulsion by just looking at them honestly. Basic Mindfulness meditation can be self taught with books, video or a sitting group or taught by a master. Best wishes on finding what works for you.
Old 06-08-2015, 05:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This is a book that explains it in terms one can understand

http://www.urbandharma.org/pdf2/Mind...%20Preview.pdf
Old 06-08-2015, 05:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great stuff! Thank you. :-)
Old 06-08-2015, 06:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...95039771,d.b2w Mindfullness in Plain English is a good place to start. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...94911696,d.b2w You can also type basic meditation in the search here and get Thanissaro Bhikkhu's instruction.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

The book Wherever You Go, There You Are by Jon Kabat-Zinn was my first reading on mindfulness practice. I used that to supplement work with my therapist and it changed the way I see things. It definitely takes practice but if you stay diligent you can quickly start to reap the benefits.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

While not specifically about mindfulness, I have been recommending the book "10% Happier" by Dan Harris lately. It's a very easy read, basically a chronology of how the author explored the world of mindfulness and meditation from all different angles and found a formula that worked for him. There is a lot of very simple, practical advice and even some "cheat sheets" or checklists in the appendix. He makes some real world sense of some of the teachings of Eckert Tolle, Mark Epstien, and others who are on the very cerebral end of the mindfulness spectrum.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've been reading The Unteathered Soul, and it's helping me stay focused on the now.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Both of those books mentioned are a great resource:

Wherever You Go, There You Are by Jon Kabat-Zinn

The Untethered Soul by Michael Singer
Old 06-08-2015, 10:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am currently reading :

Mindfulness: An Eight Week Plan for Finding Peace in a Frantic World
Mark Williams and Danny Penman
Old 06-10-2015, 12:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Mindfulness has been an important part of recovery for me. It takes the form of short daily meditation (about 10 mins, so nothing particularly daunting) and focusing attention during everyday activities like walking to work. Meditation was something I wanted to explore for a long time, but it's only in sobriety that I'm finally doing it. I feel that it's helping to calm my every running mind., and I even crave those minutes of mental quiet almost the way I used to crave a drink to shut down the feels.

As a related practice, I also take a minute every day to list mentally all of the positive things I have to be grateful for. At the beginning, it was like the negative side of my personality had created a block there and it was hard to think of things. But soon all the little things came rushing through my head, and I find that this quick little habit seems to be helping to rewire my brain to see things with more optimism and positivity.

Next month, I'll be doing a Vipassana retreat, which is an intensive 10 day training in insight meditation. I'm planning to write a little recap here afterwards, so stay tuned....
Old 06-10-2015, 09:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Absolutely critical for me to get through a very rough period of my life, my first year of sobriety and dealing with the loss of a career.

Even yesterday as I was thinking about where I was today and ten years ago.
Life is interesting. Don't miss it.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kiwikate13 View Post
Does anyone out there have any experience/advice around using mindfulness as a technique to deal with unhelpful thoughts? I have been recommended to give it a try and really wanted to know if it works and how difficult it is. I have read a bit about it and it seems a bit tricky?? I am really interested in your thoughts… Thanks
I am trying to work on mindfulness as well, I need it to settle my brain at night. I have an ongoing to do list running through my head, I am working on shutting it off!
Old 06-10-2015, 09:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by N3p3nth3 View Post
Mindfulness has been an important part of recovery for me. It takes the form of short daily meditation (about 10 mins, so nothing particularly daunting) and focusing attention during everyday activities like walking to work. Meditation was something I wanted to explore for a long time, but it's only in sobriety that I'm finally doing it. I feel that it's helping to calm my every running mind., and I even crave those minutes of mental quiet almost the way I used to crave a drink to shut down the feels.

As a related practice, I also take a minute every day to list mentally all of the positive things I have to be grateful for. At the beginning, it was like the negative side of my personality had created a block there and it was hard to think of things. But soon all the little things came rushing through my head, and I find that this quick little habit seems to be helping to rewire my brain to see things with more optimism and positivity.

Next month, I'll be doing a Vipassana retreat, which is an intensive 10 day training in insight meditation. I'm planning to write a little recap here afterwards, so stay tuned....
That sounds incredible!