Notices

Struggling

Old 06-06-2015, 03:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Struggling

Good evening everyone . I am on day 29 and feel exhausted these days. I think about slipping but have no true desire to though.
I am realizing that my social group were in the bars. I have been drinking so long it seems my social group is non existent .
I am exhausted and have no desire to eat or do anything.
Can't believe for the last 20 I only had bar buddies. I have no idea how to live a normal life .
Can anyone relate and offer some ideas?
Meeting do not help me they make me want to drink.
Old 06-06-2015, 03:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi, I know it's really hard in the beginning. Congratulations on 29 days sober. I hope you can begin to start eating well and getting out and exercising a bit. Have you talked to your dr? As far as friends, it's likely you will need to meet some new people and try some new leisure time activities. I think that's all part of the recovery process.
Old 06-06-2015, 03:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You are one day away from 30 days and that is huge!!! Are there any outdoor activities you enjoy? Maybe you can join a running or walking group, maybe a book club if you enjoy reading, sign up for a class at the community college?
Old 06-06-2015, 03:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for your support and advise . I need to get out more and live but I feel so out of place. I do need to start getting out and involved with people. Small steps , I am feeling to good to slip.
Old 06-06-2015, 03:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Shoester View Post
Can anyone relate and offer some ideas?
Meeting do not help me they make me want to drink.
I can totally relate !!! The only difference is we very rarely did bars b\c of my anxiety issues.. We'd start at a friend's house & usually end up at another friends house. Unless they got me wasted enough to be willing to see a local band. Usually then it would be at my friends club so I had all access & could roam back stage & to dressing rooms to avoid people haha.

So for now I've been a loner reading, dealing w\ issues I failed to do, & hanging w\ family. I wish ya luck & suggest getting a hobby you enjoy . .

Dennis

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Sober Recovery
Old 06-06-2015, 04:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Shoester, I definitely felt like a fish out of water the first couple months. It's like we're learning to live in a whole new way. It will get easier as you make this big adjustment. It's wonderful you've reached 29 days sober. Well done.
Old 06-06-2015, 04:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I reconnected with a lot of old friends shoester.

I also did a lot of volunteering - that got me out of the house and mixing with people again.

If you have any hobbies or interests that may be a way to find mew friends too.

Try and be patient tho - you're rebuilding a life - it's going to take a little while - but it will turn out - none of us would stay sober if we felt we lost out on the deal

D
Old 06-06-2015, 04:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

Try and be patient tho - you're rebuilding a life - it's going to take a little while - but it will turn out - none of us would stay sober if we felt we lost out on the deal

D
Words of wisdom !!!! We are rebuilding something that for allot of us; took decades to destroy ...

Dennis

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Sober Recovery
Old 06-06-2015, 08:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I can definitely relate and still struggle with making new friends .
have you heard of meetup.com?
if they do not have a group you like you can Start one on your own and maybe find other people with similar Hobbies as you.