Notices

Medical Detox

Old 06-06-2015, 07:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Medical Detox

As you may know, I went into the hospital on memorial day with a BAC north of .20 and had been drinking regularly throughout the weekend. After getting my pain under control the next thing the surgeon wanted was for me to be completely detoxed before surgery. So I went through what I guess would be considered a medical detox. The reason I am posting is this is for anyone who may be considering it, or may consider it in the future. It is a walk in the park. In all seriousness, if you can't put the drink down on your own and suffer through the withdrawal process, medical detox will get you out of the woods very comfortably. I know not everyone has insurance or the resources to be able to go to the hospital, but I do believe that there are options for those who don't have the resources. Lastly, my point is that medical detox is rather amazing and will get you over the hump. I wouldn't "rely" on it, but in a pickle, it is the way to go. If this helps one person, its worth the post.

Don't be afraid. The staff is very understanding, they get it.
Old 06-06-2015, 07:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats! I am glad you got through that. Perhaps your accident was needed for you to get into detox?
Old 06-06-2015, 07:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Adventurer

I would agree it is the way to go for everyone but not all hospitals are the same. I got driven in January to the hospital while blacked out by my wife. They were nice took my BP and did an ekg, then told me detox area was full and gave me no medication or anything. I was sent on my way back to my wife still drunk and with a bill for $900 after the insurance paid $4200. I have lost my faith in the system here, $5100 bucks for an ekg and a BP test?? I was in the room maybe 2 hours. I then came home and detoxed alone with no help stressing over the bill. Hopefully nobody else has to go through what I did.
Old 06-06-2015, 10:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

SVA, I'm not sure what experience you hoped for in your hospital visit. Good to see that your insurance covered more than 80 percent of it. However unintentionally, though, I think you shared a message that we don't want to put out there, especially for newcomers or those struggling.

If you are so intoxicated that medical attention is needed, for God's sake go to the ER. Worry about the bill later.

Yes, you may be discharged but still should be checked out by professionals. The same goes for any disconcerting symptoms or injury, regardless of whether a person is drunk or sober. Many times here on SR we've seen people posting while extraordinarily drunk and urged by countless others to dial 911. The jeopardy in which people place themselves (or others) is very real. And once a person passes out, his/her BAC is still rising.

Severely high BACs can kill.
Old 06-06-2015, 10:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Adventurer

Originally Posted by Venecia View Post
SVA, I'm not sure what experience you hoped for in your hospital visit. Good to see that your insurance covered more than 80 percent of it. However unintentionally, though, I think you shared a message that we don't want to put out there, especially for newcomers or those struggling.

If you are so intoxicated that medical attention is needed, for God's sake go to the ER. Worry about the bill later.

Yes, you may be discharged but still should be checked out by professionals. The same goes for any disconcerting symptoms or injury, regardless of whether a person is drunk or sober. Many times here on SR we've seen people posting while extraordinarily drunk and urged by countless others to dial 911. The jeopardy in which people place themselves (or others) is very real. And once a person passes out, his/her BAC is still rising.

Severely high BACs can kill.
I am sorry I wasn't trying to scare anyone off from going to the hospital. It is still a good idea to go if your not good. I am sure if I was worse off I would have been admitted.

I was just frustrated that's all.

Happy Saturday to everyone.
Old 06-06-2015, 11:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Not all stories are good ones, they're still stories to be told though.
Old 06-06-2015, 11:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Thomas, thanks for posting. As one of the many members here who were very concerned about your well-being before you ended up in the hospital, it is wonderful to hear your sober thoughts. I am sure that you will help many with this post!
Old 06-06-2015, 11:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thomas, sounds like you are in a good place both physically and emotionally.
Old 06-06-2015, 12:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Medical or inpatient detox most likely saved many lives.

Glad you went and feeling ok. Now the hard part starts, staying sober.

All the best!
Old 06-06-2015, 02:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sva777 View Post
I am sorry I wasn't trying to scare anyone off from going to the hospital. It is still a good idea to go if your not good. I am sure if I was worse off I would have been admitted.

I was just frustrated that's all.

Happy Saturday to everyone.
No sweat.

And a happy Saturday to you, SVA.
Old 06-06-2015, 05:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thepatman View Post
Medical or inpatient detox most likely saved many lives.

Glad you went and feeling ok. Now the hard part starts, staying sober.

All the best!
I agree, I've been doing a lot of sober thinking about drinking or being drunk. While I hadn't hit rock bottom (I hit that a couple years ago) I started putting together a tally of what alcohol has done to me. DUI's 18 years ago, daily drinking and wife almost left me, then had a good long stretch of moderation on weekends (no problem there), but then the occasional weekend benders came along, either called off work or felt like hell on Monday during work...and now this. Hmmm, what would an intelligent person do? Keep drinking? I would hope not.

To be clear I am not a perfect person nor have I ever been (I married one), and I don't strive to be, but I'm certain I can and will do better.