Notices

Feel the same

Old 06-05-2015, 08:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feel the same

To a degree. Waking up sober is one of life's greatest events for me. But since I've removed the booze from my life all my emotional stuff is still here. Just not amplified by alcohol. Not sure i enjoy either version of life. I'm working out and eating good. And there's times where I'm amazed by all the beauty around me when sober, it's still tough just to deal with the land of the living. Lol. Anyway. Thanks for reading.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'd drank for 20 years. It took me a while to get used to living sober and a while still before I could really evaluate it properly.

Give recovery a chance - you'll be glad you did

D
Old 06-05-2015, 10:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If there are other emotional obstacles holding you back from seeing what truly matters you need to confront them head on and tackle them. Without confrontation there will never be transformation. Stay true to yourself and get whatever is on your chest, out. You'll feel reborn.
Old 06-06-2015, 12:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Give it some time, Ninjaturtle. I'm not sure how long you drank or how long you've been sober, but a mess that was years in the making probably won't be fixed in a few weeks. Sobriety can save your life, allow you to remake it, but it isn't a magic wand that fixes everything.

Hang in there, though. It does get better and better.
Old 06-06-2015, 05:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi.
Stopping drinking if we have a problem, in my case was not the total answer to sobriety. I was taught that much work was involved to fill the void that alcohol filled, in other words work on the reasons I/we drank. For me the big picture involved FEELINGS which come in so many forms. Like why I felt better after a drink or two, why I had fears in different situations, why I suddenly got so fearful when required to speak in front of people and on and on. Most of them regular people may not like but they don’t escape by covering them up with alcohol or drugs. I needed to learn to how to cope in a healthy manner and deal with life on life’s terms.

BE WELL
Old 06-06-2015, 08:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Ninja, congratulations on quitting.

Of course on its own not drinking doesn't solve all of life's problems but it does mean that you are in a position to tackle them. That's not something you can do drunk
Old 06-06-2015, 09:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yea in the beginning it jus felt like everything was much more exaggerated. If I was happy , I was ecstatic. If I was sad, I couldn't move out of bed. If I was angry , I needed to scream and yell and hit something. Things eventually calmed down for me
Old 06-06-2015, 09:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I really relate to this post, maybe we are at a similar point? I'm not long sober, but I am appreciating it and know I'm doing myself good / the right thing for me. HOWEVER - my emotions are rife, more intense than when I was drinking as I'm not blocking them with booze. I'm remembering lots of stuff I was also blocking out and some of this is painful. I'm also suffering lots of shame and regret for all the drinking years..........
I don't want to drink anymore, I just know there's work to do and things to face up to find some peace. All very daunting.
Early days for me though, one foot in front of the other, I won't be sorting major stuff over night.
good luck to you xx
Old 06-06-2015, 10:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope that you continue with your recovery and that you find some peace in your life. As others have said, it does take some time and patience.
Old 06-06-2015, 10:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies. I need patience and need to accept that things will be rough for a while. Months and so on. Anyway here's to another day!
Old 06-06-2015, 12:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

What are you doing for your recovery other than just not drinking? I saw a counselor for several years and she was very helpful to me.

You might try finding a new hobby, something to fill the time. Or maybe volunteering in your community. Great way to do some good and meet new people at the same time.